Part One: Jay's Story- Chapter Nine: To S.W.O.R.D., Morgan, Mandy, and Beyond

Part One: Jay's Story- Chapter Nine: To S.W.O.R.D., Morgan, Mandy, and Beyond

A Chapter by Locke Redwyne (night sys)

The S.W.O.R.D headquarters looms in front of me. It’s surprisingly close to the I.I.E.M.’s base. No doubt Darknight has sent agents to recover information from S.W.O.R.D before. But no one will be expecting something like what I’ve planned. Taking a deep breath, I step forward and open the doors.

The lobby area is huge and full of S.W.O.R.D heroes and officials. All the officials wear their typical suit uniform. Quite a few of the heroes are in uniform as well, but just as many are wearing more casual clothes. There’s a desk at the far wall, which I’m guessing is the information desk or something of that manner. I start walking. No one pays much attention to me, though a few officials give me sideways looks. I’m not attacking, and none of them recognize me right away. So far, I’m good.

I scan the hall, looking for Morgan. I finally spot her, talking to a few other heroes off to one side. I change course. As I approach, I realize that one of the heroes is Mandy, or Peregrinator, according to my research. Standing next to her are two other heroes. One I recognize from when Mandy broke into my office at the S.O.S. The other, who has spiked-up blue and green hair, I don’t know. Mandy cracks some kind of joke and the rest of them laugh. The three of them are wearing similar uniforms. Are they some sort of squad? If they are, Morgan doesn’t appear to be part of it.

“Swift and Peregrinator, right? I guess no one goes by their real names anymore,” I say loudly as I come up behind the group. They all turn to look at me. “Aren’t you going to introduce me to your friends, Mandy?”

“What are you doing here?” Swift interrupts.

“Whatever do you mean?” I ask sweetly.

“You know what I mean. You joined the S.O.S. What are you doing at S.W.O.R.D?” She demands.

“I came to reconsider your offer.” Not the answer she expected. “I’m joining S.W.O.R.D.” The two boys exchange a glance. I’m guessing my former friends haven’t said much about me.

Peregrinator c***s her head. She looks different somehow, but I can’t place it. Maybe her eyes? “Really? Why?”

I shrug. “I’ve had a change of heart.” I can tell they aren’t buying it.

“Really,” Peregrinator says. She is starting to look a little uneasy.

“Okay, believe me, or don’t, I don’t care,” I reply sarcastically. “So I’m joining S.W.O.R.D, it doesn’t have to change anything. You can go back to pretending I never existed!” My outburst surprises even me.

Peregrinator looks hurt. She opens her mouth to say something but decides against it. She shakes her head.

“I’m sorry to interrupt,” the green and blue haired boy says, “but who are you?”

There’s a strange pause, and suddenly realization dawns on his face. “Oohh.

“What?” I’m confused. “Did you read my mind or something?” I say it like a joke, but suddenly I’m afraid. What if S.W.O.R.D has telepaths? They’d be able to figure out my plan without even asking...

“Nah, we can just talk to each other in our minds,” Peregrinator says casually. She is beginning to become more relaxed. With that possible problem taken care of, I find I can relax more as well. Hopefully, if anyone noticed my unease, they can put it down as a typical reaction to the possibility of someone poking around in my head.

“You seriously want to join S.W.O.R.D?” Swift pushes.

“Yes! How many times are you going to ask?” I’m a bit frustrated at this point. I hadn’t expected it to be this difficult to talk my way in. Although after my two years and change at the S.O.S., I guess I can see why they’d be suspicious of my suddenly wanting to join S.W.O.R.D. I’m going to have to give a reason. “Look, Darknight pretty much kidnapped me and forced a GM on me, so I’m done with that villain junk.” A bit of the truth couldn’t hurt, and I am still a bit angry about that. “Just point me in the direction of the sign-up sheet and I’ll get out of your hair.”

“Wait. Did you say... Darknight GMed you?” The blue-and-green haired boy asks. I need to figure out his name. And the other boy’s.

“Yes. Without my consent. Umm... what are your names?” I point to the two boys.

“Agent 12,” Peregrinator gestures at the blue-and-green haired boy, “and Sparrowhawk.” The other boy waves, grinning. “And I go by Peregrinator or Peri. Swift just told me about your encounter.”

I frown. Of course, she did. “What’s past is past. Let’s just forget about it.” I force a smile, hoping it looks convincing enough. It seems to work.

“Okay. I’ll take you to the ‘sign-up sheet’, as you put it,” Swift concedes. “Welcome to S.W.O.R.D... Jay.”



© 2018 Locke Redwyne (night sys)


Author's Note

Locke Redwyne (night sys)
Darknight is not based on Batman in any way, shape, or form, fyi.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Okay maybe change the part where two well-known villains just waltz into S.W.O.R.D.'s base like they own it =D IDK how we would do that so...

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 6 Years Ago


Locke Redwyne (night sys)

6 Years Ago

how's that? also, weren't we putting the first book into present tense?
Jay_Bluefire

6 Years Ago

Not this part, because this is her talking to everyone, telling them what happened. That's why somet.. read more
Locke Redwyne (night sys)

6 Years Ago

ah
XD nice

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
1 Review
Added on November 20, 2017
Last Updated on August 22, 2018

The Coalition Files By Jay_is_Bluefire, Peregrinator7, and Crazy Dragon Lady


Author

Locke Redwyne (night sys)
Locke Redwyne (night sys)

WA



About
Wow, we haven't used this account in literal years! DID system of 19, idk if we'll be posting here but. I'm so glad to find this archive of our old writing. more..

Writing