Daniel's Early Days

Daniel's Early Days

A Chapter by Kjerstina House
"

Ch. 8 The Vision-Before Daniel became a powerful Mage, he was just a boy. Follow Daniel from the beginning as he receives his powers, has many adventures, and learns what true power really is.

"

Daniel felt his heart drop at the stark realization that the dragon was not coming back. The unexpected loss of his talisman left he feeling utterly bereft; he felt emptier than he had ever felt before. Although, they had just met, something extraordinary had happened in those brief moments of bonding. Now, Daniel understood what Pearl had meant when she said that they were connected.

Completely forlorn, he turned back to the house, not sure how he would explain what happened. His throat was constricted so tight from the disappointment that engulfed him that he could barely swallow. In an attempt to calm himself, Daniel tried to take a few deep breaths, but they were more like ragged gasps, choked by his distress. How could he let this happen? On the other hand, what could he really have done, he asked himself. He was not in control of the spirit of a wild dragon.

Surely his grandmother would understand, maybe she knew a way to summon it back again. His spirits lifted at the idea. Of course she would know, she was the one who summoned Pearl in the first place. Daniel tried to assure himself that this was only a minor problem. With this in mind, he felt confident that he could muster up the courage to explain the situation to his family.

Just as he reached the porch steps, he felt a rush of air tousle his hair again. His heart nearly shot out of his ribcage. He raised his head toward the oncoming breeze, and found Pearl’s tiny figure circling the tower that jutted off the side of his room. The relief Daniel felt was profound. This wild spirit had the chance to be free, but instead she chose to come back to him. Daniel practically floated onto the porch, in an attempt to be closer to her.

“Where are you going?” she sent him inquisitively.

“Uh, inside…” he trailed off. He didn’t want to admit that he had lost faith in her already, but he quickly decided that hiding things from something that had “read his soul” and communicated with him through his mind was probably impossible. “I was afraid you left me,” he could practically feel himself whining as each word resonated embarrassingly in his mind.

“Leave you?” she sounded confused by the idea. Quickly she swooped down to resume her perch on his shoulder. “I would not leave you little one,” she vowed, rubbing her snout against his jaw. “If I was in my former body, I would have taken you with me.” Daniel felt silly and relieved at the same time.

Then, the idea of riding a dragon aroused his imagination. He sorely wished that he actually could take a ride on Pearl’s back. Something unusual happened then; a strange sensation overcame him. His eyes were forced closed, and Daniel suddenly found himself bursting through the clouds while perched atop an enormous black dragon. It was more than just a daydream; he could actually feel the cool wind on his face, and feel the moisture from the wispy clouds clinging to his skin. The vision abruptly ended, and Daniel’s eyes flew open.

Was this what happened when his mother had a vision? Did he have the Sight too? His fingers and toes were tingling, and adrenaline was pumping through his blood. The tingling spread throughout his body. He hoped he had more visions like that; it was beyond spectacular.

As the exhilarating feeling from his vision left him, regret resurfaced. Pearl was no longer a live fire breathing dragon. He would never be able to ride her in her current form. Disappointment was quickly replaced by guilt for being so greedy. How many kids got a chance to have a pet dragon, and here he was wishing he could have more.

Pearl chuckled softly. “Do not feel guilty little one. Flying is the most amazing feeling in the world.”

“You saw that?” he asked incredulously.

“Yes, I saw.”

“Nothing like that has ever happened before,” he confessed.

“You are coming into your powers now; many things will be new.”

Her sorrow swiftly swept over Daniel, and he wondered how he would ever get used to feeling someone else’s emotions. “I am sorry little one,” Pearl sent.

“Why?”

“Because of all the things we can share, I can never share the magnificence of flight with you,” she thought sadly.

“It’s not your fault, Pearl,” he replied. Now, he felt bad for making her feel bad. Her remorse was palpable; he could feel the intensity of it spread through him.

“One more thing,” she added. “The dragon from your vision was not me.”

“What do you mean? I mean, how do you know?” Pearl was the only dragon he knew.

“Because, I was named Pearl on behalf of my white iridescent scales, I did not recognize the black dragon you were riding,” she said eyeing him curiously. 



© 2014 Kjerstina House


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
Added on October 4, 2014
Last Updated on October 4, 2014
Tags: wizard, brownies, witch, dragon, magical realm, magic, family

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story