Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story

A Chapter by Kjerstina House
"

Ch. 22 Morning After-Before Daniel became a powerful Mage, he was just a boy. Follow him from the beginning as he receives his powers, embarks on many adventures, and learns what true power really is.

"

“Are you saying that there are dragon eggs hidden here, in our forest?” Daniel asked excitedly.

            “I didn’t say that. You said that.” Pearl answered slyly. “I simply said that not all of the eggs are in Erde.”

            “What’s Erde?” The word felt strange to him, and he struggled to get it out; chopping it up into what sounded like an “er” of confusion followed by the word day.

            “Yes, Erde,” she said the word fluidly, but articulated it clearly for him; reinforcing that he was using the correct enunciation. “That’s the name the inhabitants used for our world.”

            “So, you do know where the eggs are hidden?” he insisted.

            “A few,” she answered shortly.

“Where are they?”

“That’s enough for now,” she said curtly. Turning her back on Daniel, she curled up on the nightstand. Daniel shivered; a cold front seemed to sweep through him. This was followed by a heavy feeling, something like guilt. His confusion only lasted for a moment. Experiencing someone else’s emotions was baffling.

Pearl’s feelings could be overpowering and hard to understand. At times she was distant and remote and other times her emotions washed over him like waves. He did his best to keep his head above water.

Daniel flopped back on his bed with a dissatisfied sigh. Why was she being so secretive anyway? He didn’t have long to think on it. Exhaustion swept over him; his eyes felt heavy and he had a hard time keeping them open. After such a long and exciting day, Daniel fell asleep as soon as he gave up the fight to keep his eyes open.

 

Thoroughly exhausted from using magic for the first time and the excitement from the supernatural encounters in the forest, Daniel slept like a log. He woke up in the exact same position that he laid down; lying on top of his covers with an arm flung across his weary eyes.

It took him several minutes to thoroughly wake up. The summer sun was streaming through his curtains, but his eyelids felt sticky and his eyes burned when he managed to lift his eyelids far enough to peer out.

After a minute of stretching and rubbing his tired eyes, he felt more alert. He swung his legs over the side of the bed, sat up, and ran a hand through his unruly curls. Now that he had orientated himself, his first conscious thought was of Pearl. 

His eyes darted to his nightstand, but it was devoid of any tiny metal dragons. For a brief moment, Daniel wondered if it had all been a dream. Had he dreamt all the amazing things that he thought had happened?

            But, then a flash of light winked at him catching his attention. The sunlight glinted off something metallic, drawing his eye to his highest bookshelf. There, Pearl was uncoiling herself and turned to face him.

            “Good morning, Little One,” her voice echoed in his mind, sending a delightful shiver down his spine. It hadn’t been a dream after all.

            “Good morning, Pearl,” he sent with his own thoughts. His relief that she hadn’t been just a dream was suddenly washed away by his burning desire to find out where the dragon eggs were hidden. He opened his mouth to ask Pearl again, but she shook her head and sat down on her haunches stubbornly.

            Daniel’s cheeks flushed in frustration. Frustrated that not only would she not tell him, but she didn’t even let him get the question out before turning him down. Sometimes having a dragon talisman that could read your mind was a pain.

            Dressing in a huff, Daniel readied himself. Pearl turned away from him slightly to give him privacy. She stood erect and motionless, her head turned toward the wall, until he opened his door. Then, without a word, she glided down onto his shoulder.

            As he started down the hall, Daniel wondered how today would not seem dull and boring in comparison to everything that had happened yesterday. Still, he had no desire to venture back into the forest, not just yet anyway.

The foreboding he had experienced when Pearl informed him they were being followed yesterday slunk back through him unpleasantly. He tried to shake it off, but knowing that the hobgoblin had been watching him for some time sent a shudder through him.

            When he passed his grandmother’s room, she reached out and grabbed his arm forcing his heart into his throat and causing him to yelp unintelligibly. “Grams!” he admonished breathlessly, trying to regain his composure. His nerves were already on edge, he didn’t need his own family scaring the bejesus out of him as well.

            “Come to my room at sunset,” she ordered with her I mean business look. “Do not be late!” she warned. Then, she quickly slipped back into her room, and shut the door with a snick.  

            “Wait! What time is sunset?!” Daniel yelled at the closed door, but he got no answer. 



© 2014 Kjerstina House


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
Added on November 27, 2014
Last Updated on December 4, 2014
Tags: wizard, family, magic, magical realm, dragon, witch, brownies, forest, spells, pegasus

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story