Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story

A Chapter by Kjerstina House
"

Ch37 Learnin to Fly-Before Daniel became a powerful Mage, he was just a boy. Follow him from the beginning as he receives his powers, embarks on many adventures, and learns what true power really is

"
Blissfully happy that the terrible tension was over, Daniel slumped forward on the yielding surface, grateful it was no longer hardwood floor, while his over exerted muscles melted like a pat of butter. Completely overwhelmed by the ordeal, Daniel laid limply on the floor; too relieved and exhausted to move, let alone be concerned of the potion's potency.
A spark of excitement prodded at his consciousness; stirring him from his respite. The feeling was sharp and obtrusive, like a tac. On it's heels, a feeling of concern washed over him, easing the shock and soothing his raw nerves: Pearl. Even in his debilitated state, Daniel could feel Pearl's concern, just as he could hear her voice in his head. 
"Are you alright?" she asked, creeping closer to his prone figure. 
He peered up from behind the mop of curls hanging in his face, expecting to see his small dragon totem peering back up at him. Instead, Pearl towered over Daniel’s wilted figure. Understanding dawned on Daniel causing a brief halt in his heart's beating before it began pitter pattering erratically in excitement. Adrenaline crashed though his body, and when Daniel pushed up from the springy floor, he was practically vaulted into the air. 
“It worked!” he whooped, but his yell didn’t echo like it normally would in the two story entryway. His new tiny body didn’t have the air to produce much volume. 
Large entities towered over Daniel on his other side. His grandmother and mother were kneeling beside him. His mother had her hands out toward him; palms out and slightly turned into each other. 
"Yes, it did," his mother exhaled forcefully. She sat back on her heels, silently appraising her newly shrunk boy. She sighed tensely and forced a smile that erased the worry wrinkle creasing her forehead. "You are ready." 
Daniel tried to rush over to Pearl, but his newly lightweight body combined with the marshmallow floor launched him several inches into the air and threw him completely over the metal dragon. He tried to grab hold of her before he finished his accidental catapulting, but his fingers slipped along the metal uselessly. Recognizing the helplessness of his situation, Daniel considered a tuck and roll approach to his landing, but at the last moment went a different route. He stuck out his palms, spring boarded off the yielding floor, and flipped back to his feet. 
“Bravo!” his grandmother cheered with a small chuckle. “You are definitely ready.”
“Climb on,” Pearl urged. “What are you waiting for?” she teased. 
Doing his best to slow his movements so he could deftly navigate the distance between him and Pearl, did nothing to slow the pounding of his heart. Instead, the anticipation mixed with the forced restraint made his heart feel like it was trying to break its way out of his now tiny ribcage. This was what he had been dreaming of, flying with a dragon. Albeit, a very small, metal dragon, but a dragon nonetheless.
He scaled her black opalescent scales, swung a leg over the ridge of her back, and settled at the base of her neck. Feeling like he was on top of the world, pride spread through him like he had just successfully climbed to the top of Mt. Everest.
Daniel’s finger searched for something to hold onto, but was unsuccessful at finding anything substantial to grip amongst her smooth metal scales. He settled on wrapping his arms around her neck. Expecting cold metal, Daniel was surprised that Pearl’s metal shell emitted a gentle warmth that seeped into his chest and spread through him, calming him. 
Juniper reached into her pocket and pulled out a small rubber band. “I brought this, in case,” she waved it encouragingly at Daniel. 
“A rubber band,” Daniel said in confusion. “What for?” His mother pinched the rubber between the forefinger and thumb of each hand like a tiny reign. 
Daniel shook his head. “No thanks, I’m good.” He squeezed Pearl’s neck, content to be this close to her. He could feel her contentment as well, but his bubbling excitement crowded out the calm that the surprising warmth of her scales incurred.
“You may want the rubber band,” Pearl’s voice entered Daniel’s mind in quiet concern. “I need full range of motion of my neck to fly as accurately as I can in this tin can. If I were in my true form, you could find purchase amongst my many spikes. Alas, this...metal form is slightly more...aerodynamic." Daniel wasn't sure what she was trying to say, or convince herself, but he didn't want to put her out. 
Daniel loosened his grip. An apology rose to his lips, but instead he simply allowed the words to form in his mind effortlessly. Pearl nodded in acknowledgement. “It’s alright Little One. You cannot hurt me,” Daniel alone heard Pearl’s silent response. 
“What really worries me," Pearl spoke out loud, wanting to include the ladies in their conversation, "Is the scales sliding back into place and pinching your skin.”
Daniel hadn’t thought of that, but he could see the logic of it now as she demonstrated by stretching her neck down and up. The sliding scales dislodged his grip momentarily and snagged his shirt as well. 
Sighing, Daniel leaned back and tried to puzzle out where he could successfully hold on without the assistance of any outside help. He wasn’t sure why, but he didn’t want to need anything extra for flight. He wanted to fly free, just like in his dreams. 
The shifting metal plates loosened his grip, but he adjusted and regripped. On the lower sides of her neck were slightly larger metal plates that provided less chance of a pinch. He dug in with his knees and hooked his feet underneath her metal belly. Pearl felt his adjustments and his newfound confidence and reciprocated the feeling.
“He can do without. I will be gentle,” Pearl confirmed. “This time.”
Being this close to flight sent Daniel's body into flight mode. His heart began its persistent banging against his ribcage; demanding release. 
“Let’s fly!” Daniel yelled in his now tiny voice. 


© 2015 Kjerstina House


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on November 9, 2015
Last Updated on November 10, 2015
Tags: wizard, family, magic, magical realm, dragon, witch, brownies, forest, spells, pegasus

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story