Chapter 32

Chapter 32

A Chapter by Kikai

NEW YEAR, new person... That's what everyone always says. When I was younger (which would be a year ago), I used to laugh at that saying. I mean, there can never be a new you! You will still be the same, have the same past, no matter if it's a new year or not.

   But when 2011 came around the corner I actually took that saying seriously. I really did feel like being a new person. The problem was I was afraid of letting go.

   So many things happened to me in 2010, things that made me who I was now. Losing a friend, gaining a friend, meeting someone special. Something like that is what makes it hard to let go of things.

   So anyway, I'm sitting on the top bunk of my bunk bed, watching the New Year Ball drop in New York. The second it turns midnight I text all my friends and wish them a happy happy new year. I stay up until 3 in the morning conversing online, and finally before I go to bed, I pray for a better year and start off with a clean slate.

 

   The break is over and we're back at school.. Well, most of us at least. Austin and Diane haven't showed up yet, Kevin had to miss the first 2 days, and Justin... He's not back yet.

"God, this is so frustrating." I smashed my head down on a desk in science class.

"What is?" Mason said from his desk behind me.

"All the new work the teachers are passing out.. I mean, we just got back from the break. Do they really expect us to remember things we did 2 weeks ago??"
He kind of laughed at me, which I can understand.

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

"And another thing, Justin isn't here for me to give him his present!"

"Oh.." Mason's voice came low into a whisper. "That reminds me, Aika, can I talk to you at lunch?"

   The way he said this made it clear that he didn't want anyone else to hear. Must be serious I thought.

"Yeah, ok." I said. Then class started and I took my seat.

   For the next 20 minutes we reviewed some stuff about the periodic table, which oddly, I came to be interested in. I sit next to Bea (woo hoo), actually, no... I was moved next to Bea. At first I really didn't want to sit by her, but since things seemed to be patching up (slowly) I thought it might have been ok. Mason wanted to know why I was so cool with it, and when Diane found out, she told me to change seats with someone else.

   I knew it would be rude to do that, or even say anything about it to Bea or the teacher. So  I just went along with it. We hardly talk anymore, so it's not like we're going to end up fighting again, but even though she's being so ncie now, it still gets on my nerves.

   And before I knew it it was lunch time. Usually I walk down to the cafeteria with Macy, but I told her I had to catch up with Mason for a bit. She was all good, though. I think. Her ans Issac broke up during the break, but it was actually a good break up. And they both agreed to it, so it's not like one of them got dumped or anything.

  Ah, anyway, sorry, I was getting of track. I caught up with Mason at his locker.

"Alright, so what's up?" I said, feelings really energized to be out of the classroom.

He shut his locker. "Yeah, so here's the thing--" he got interrupted.

BAM!!! A large fist slammed into Mason's locker.

"!!" I squeaked. And Mason looked startled.

   I figured it would be some upperclassman, picking on us freshman, but instead it turned out to be Jorge Vergara.

"Oh geez, Jorge! Don't do that!" I was scared but I still smiled.

"Ha, sorry! Just really bored and you 2 looked like you needed to be woken up." He pulled up his jeans a little.

"Well thanks for the wake up call." I said sarcastically.

   I noticed Mason trying to look away, as if he was just waiting for Jorge to walk away. When I began to notice, Jorge did too and I saw a smirk appear on his face.

He walked up behind him nonchalantly. "Hey Mason." He said somewhat slyly.

"Oh, h-hey Jorge." He said, a little frantic for words, and he was still looking away.

"What's up? You know, we don't hang out as often. Why don't we go to the music room?" He stood up against the lockers and flipped his hair. It made me laugh, it was almost like.... Jorge's hitting on him?!

"Hey, Aika, I am SO hungry, so let's go, 'k??"
   He said this so fast I didn't know what to do. Then he grabbed my arm and pulled me away down the hall with him, leaving Jorge in the dust.

"Hey!! What was that about??" I screamed at him as we ran to the cafeteria.

"What what?" He obviously knew what I was talking about.

"Mason, stop!!" I stopped running which made him abruptly stop too. "Now seriouly... What is up??" I put my hands on my hips, and I RARELY do that.

"Well, nothing. Just, I have a question."

"Gosh, you could have said that in the first place." I tried to catch my breath. "So, what is it?"

He paused for a while, and then continued. "Ok, I was just wondering about, you and Justin." He put emphasis on the 'Justin'.

"Well, why?" I asked.

"Ok. Instead of just stalling time, here it is. Are you dating Kevin or Justin?"

   When he asked that I wasn't sure if I was suppose to be surprised or not. I kind of felt like I broke a promise making sure NO ONE would find out about Justin being gone, and I already told nick I was dating Justin, so now I feel like a total LIAR.

"I.. Uh.."

"Uh..?" Mason raised his voice... JUST a little. "Something tells me that you're not sure. Do you not know who you're dating?"

I felt like this was going to lead into a lecture, which I don't like, so I just let it all out. "Okay, Mason.. Please don't tell ANYONE about this, got it?"

"Swear. Just tell me, I kinda have to know."

"Oh, well.." I took in a deep breath. "I'm dating Kevin." And I told him the whole story.

"Oh my God.." He got really serious. "Are you for real, Aika?!"

"Of course I'm for real! It's kind of scary, when you think about it!"
"Really... Do you, uh.. Do you know if he's alright?"
"I'm sorry, I don't have all the details on that."

There was silence again.

   The bell rang and broke the silence, I can't believe it took me 20 minutes just to explain the whole situation to him.

   But now I'm off to class. History to be exact, with Mason. It looked like to me I had some questions to ask him too, and seemed a little.. Well, not depressed, but it felt like he was giving off a gloomy-ish aura.

   I need to talk to him later. I thought. No, I need to talk to them later... Kevin and Mason.



© 2011 Kikai


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

238 Views
Added on January 7, 2011
Last Updated on January 7, 2011


Author

Kikai
Kikai

Portland, OR



About
Hi colleagues! My name is Kikai, and I'm an aspiring novelist. I just love to write. Nothing fancy, just a good read for teens and young adults (I'm still one myself, after all). Please feel free to .. more..

Writing
The Doctor and I The Doctor and I

A Story by Kikai


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Kikai


Transparent Transparent

A Book by Kikai