Chapter 33

Chapter 33

A Chapter by Kikai

-Kevin-

 

I WAS UNSUALLY  excited to get back to school, although I think it's just because I really wanted to give Aika her late Christmas present.

   But I couldn't go to school, and it's because my parents had received a letter.. A letter from Justin.

   Yes, maybe 2 months after he was kidnapped, we were finally hearing from him again. Even I felt like skipping school today just for this. I really wouldn't mind about him, but he was gone for so long.. I guess I was a little bit worried about him.

   And Aika, I know she was worried. I kind of feel bad just taking her away from Justin, now that I think about it. And all he asked for, ever since I started posing as him, way before I even knew Aika, all he asked for was for me to watch out for her. So I am.

"What does the letter say?" Mom asked dad; she was just on the verge of crying her eyes out.

"Wait, I'm trying to find a sendback address." Dad, who was oddly calm, replied.

"Oh my goodness," Mom said angered, then snatched the sealed envelope from him. "I'LL open the dang letter! Chết tiệt!!"

Hm, I've never heard my mom say that before.. I thought. She must be real serious.

  With one slit of her fingernail across the top flap of the envelope, she ripped the flap off clearly. I looked at my shocked dad, and I bet he was wondering were all that strength and anger was hiding all this time.

"Alright... well.." Mom came back to her calm state. "W-Who.. Who wants to read it first?" I know she was just trying to sound grounded, but inside she was crying a wave of tears and slowly drowning in it.

"I'll do it." I mean, someone had to step up to the plate.

   I took the envelope from her. I walked back over to my seat in the living room and examined the paper closely. There where no signs or evidence that could lead us to his wereabouts; Nothing but an unsual seal, which could mean anything.

   With a deep sigh, I took the folded up sheet of notebook paper out of the envelop then unfolded it. I was clenching the letter, shivering my wrists a little bit. It was like finding out weather the letter said 'death' or 'live'.

"Well?" I heard dad's powering voice. "We don't have all day, you know."

"Yeah, I know." I went back to the page.

  

   'Dear mom, dad, james, and Kevin,'

 

He would put me last.. I thought, then kept reading on.

 

   'So I finally convinced them to let me mail out a letter, but I'm not suppose to tell my location. I'm really sorry this is probably not going to help your search for me, but the guard tells me that you guys are looking for me and I'm awaiting the day I'll get to go home and see everyone again.'

 

   Great... So he can't give us his location whatsoever.. But I guess that's a good thing, at least he's showing the enemy that they could trust him.

   I continued to read down the page. It seems like they haven't gotten his account unfrozen yet, and hopefully they don't. But the next part jumped out at me, and it kind of made me laugh, and think, at the same time.

 

'I also apologize for allowing myself to be taken in the first place. You must be giving Kevin hell... But, don't. It was my choice and, Kevin's a good one.'

 

   'Kevin's a good one,' sure... But maybe he has realized that there's more than just hating on me for the rest of his life. Or, nah, I dunno.. And no, dad hasn't been giving me Hell, which I find so funny because he should have.

   I still want to know, though, just why he went in in the first place! I mean, it was my job, my duty, and it was declared since the day I was born. I mean, I could be rotting alone, wherever he is right now, and taking it. Knowing him, he'd probably be bored to death and couldn't bear it. He could have been here with Aika, having a great time with the one he loved, but...

  Damn, it just pisses me off sometimes though. I feel like I just got her because he tried to be the hero, and I know Aika couldn't make the choice and she only fell for me because I pushed myself onto her. And you know what no? I didn't even feel like reading the rest of the letter.

"Here." I gave it to my mom. "It's all your's." I started to go upstairs.

"Oh, well, he's okay right?!" I heard her call to me.

"Yeah, I'm sure he's great!" I called back.

Right as I slammed the door I heard my dad shout from downstairs, "Wait, he said he wants you to do something!!"

   I froze in my steps. Oh does he? I thought about it. Then I went downstairs once again.

"What, was it?" I asked curiously.

"Here," Dad walked towards me with the letter in hand. "It's near the bottom."
   I took and read,

 

'I want you to let him know that I'm ok, and to pass that onto Aika. I'm sure the two of them are very happy together, but if she's still worrying about me then.. Yeah, give her the message.'

 

   I felt... So mad, for some reason. 'the two of you are very happy together.' Man, it just seems like something he'd say just to make me feel bad. But, whatever, I really do like Aika and I know she wants Justin back home just as badly as my parents or, even kinda me, does.

"I see.." I handed the letter back to my dad.

"So?" He asked, like there had to be an answer to it.

"So, what? He's all good. I'm going upstairs." I went back to my room.

   As I walked up the stairs, I could feel the stares of my parents on me. They must have thought that I'd be excited about the letter from my brother, and I was too at the beginning, but it just pissed me off in the end.

   Around 4:15 later that day, I called Aika's home. Yeah, not the smartest idea in the world...

"Hello?" An older man answered.

"Uh... Hello?" I said, a little unsure.

"Yes, who's calling?"
"Uh, this is, Justin.."

"OH, Justin!" I knew just who it was now.

"H-Hi, Mr. Pasion." I felt like choking a little inside.

"Yes, Aika's boyfriend." With a heavy emphasis on the 'boyfriend'.

"I was wondering if Aika was home?"
"No, no she's not. She's still at school, she had tutoring today."

   I've never really talked to her dad before, so I guess you could say I was in a pretty uncomfortable situation.

"Well, I'll just call her cell phone then." I said.
"Okay then."
"Yeah, thanks Mr. Pasion."
"Uh huh, yeah. Bye."

"Bye."

   Man, that was really exhausting. I don't know how Aika just easily converses with my parents on the phone whenever she calls.

   Anyways, I started dialing Aika's number. I just had to fill her in on what happened. Well, everything except about how mad I was.

 

 

-Aika-

 

AFTER SCHOOL  was the same as usual. I got out of English class when the bell rang and started straight for the library for some tutoring.

   I saw Issac by his locker and gave him a high-five just because... well.. I don't know, actually. I just do that with him.

   Then I saw Jorge look over from behind a corner. I wonder if he was looking for someone? Well whatever, you know I don't usually talk to him so I thought I'd go give him a hug.

I ran right behind the corner at full speed! "Bwahaha!!" I hug-tackled him.

"Whoaas." He said, in a somewhat calm voice, which is weird since I had just nearly tackled him into the lockers.

"Heyy Jorge!"

"Hi." He said again... in that CALM voice.

"Well, I'm going to tutoring!" I shot him a peace sign.

"Oh, cool. See ya."

"Yep, bye!"

   And with that I was on my way. It's so weird though, he was just all Mr. Cool-and-sly-and-smooth today at lunch, hitting (I think) on Mason. Or, maybe something came up and he was feeling different. Sure, maybe.

   But I had other things in mind. Not only did I had to get this algebra packet done, but I had to straighten out my thoughts about Jorge and Mason, and I need to talk more to Mason about him finding out about this situation. He's been pretty down since I told him about Justin's kidnapping. And I also need to call Kevin and catch up on the details.

   So now I'm in the library, pulling out my math packet, and grabbing a bottle of water. And when my tutor came around, it was studying for 45 minutes.

 

 

   I finally finished my math packet, and so now I was just doodling in my journal because I didn't want to go home yet.

   The tutor made me move to the non-tutoring tables, so I was pretty much by myself. It was all good though; it gave me a chance to think clearly.

  And right when I began thinking about the whole Jorge-Mason situation, the right guy just walks in.

"Hey, Jorge!" I hear one of the lady tutors say. "Here for tutoring?"
"Nah, not today. Just finishin up a project."

"Ah, alright, well good luck!"

"Thanks."

   I tried not to seem like a stalker but, I thought this would be a good chance to see how reacts with other people. I pulled out my geometry notebook and sneaked over to math tutor table, without him noticing. I held the notebook in front of my face, so he couldn't see me, but when he wasn't looking I'd peer over. He sat his stuff down at an empty table then walked over to get some supplies; Markers, tape, colored pencils. Once he sat down he got out his poster. I couldn't quite make out what it was for, but I think it was for history class.

   Man, I am such a stalker.. I giggled in my head, but hey it was pretty fun. He seemed so quiet and workful, totally different than his wild side at lunch, or his somewhat player-care side way back during homecoming.

  I wonder when he'll notice that I'm watching.

  And right then he looked up from the desk. I quickly hid behind my notebook, and when I thought it was safe to come out, it wasn't..

"Hey." He was right up in my face.

"Oh geez...! You move fast." I put the notebook down.

"Why have you been watching me? I've been noticing you know.."

Ah, so it wouldn't have mattered if I hid or not.."Oh well.. Because."

"Because isn't an answer." He pulled up a seat next to mine. "Wassup?"
  I really didn't know how to kick off the question. Like should it be something around the lines of 'So you were acting kind of weird at lunch' or something like that. But it needs to sound.. hmm, natural?
"Hey? Are you paying attention." He asked.

"Oh, er, sorry. I just had to ask you something."
He flipped his hair. "Sure. Shoot."
"Well, I noticed that at lunch you seemed kinda.."
"Flirtatious?" He interrupted.

"Oh uh.. Yeah, yeah! Flirtatious. How did you know I was going to say that?"
"Because I was being flirtatious." He grinned.

"Thats what I was thinking," I chuckled. "but I was so confused because you were messing around with Mason... I just thought maybe it was a guy thing." I tried to make it seem like I was doing work by pulling out my binder.

"No no, you're right."

"Right about what?" I looked up from my binder.

"About me messing with Mason."
"Oh...?" I gave him a kind of unsure look. Then doesn't that mean he just admitted to... flirting with him?! "So, you were flirting with.... Mason...?"
"Yeah. Because I like him."

   HOLY CRAP!!! I screamed in my head, although my outside expression was blank. NOOO WAY he did not just say that!!! I blinked a few times.

"You're not.." I giggled unsurely. "..serious, right?"
He leaned in close. "Does it look like I'm kidding?"

   Normally I'd say yes, but you should have SEEN his eyes, his expression! It was totally serious! But then again maybe he was just a good actor. I have experience with good guy actors... (ie. Kevin and Justin).

"Wait," I fell into a whisper. "so you seriously... like him??"
"Yes."
"Wha?! Well... now that explains a lot.. And also, how could you just be so open like that?! I mean, we don't even talk that much."
"But it's not like you're going to say anything, right?"
He has a point. "Well, no. Except maybe Mason.."
"Go ahead. I think he knows anyways."
"Oh? Why do you say that?"

He laid back in his chair and laughed at the ceiling.

"What??"
"Oh, nothing.. I'd rather he tell you instead of me. I bet you'll get a real kick out of it." He winked.

"Ughh, why not you?"
"Because I have a poster to finish." He smiled and began to walk back to his table.

   I can't believe this... why does everything interesting happen and I'm the last to find out. I pouted in my seat. It was around 4:30, and I didn't have anymore homework to do so I felt like going home. It was too cold to walk though, so I thought I'd just wait here 'til 5 for my dad to get me.

   Since I didn't want to sit near Jorge for a while (at least) I moved over to some couches near the library entrance. I sat there, reading my book I had to read for english class, and then I got a phone call.

The caller ID said it was from the Hue Residence. "Hi Kevin!"

"Hey." His tone was somewhat serious.

"Oh, what's wrong?"
"Well, guess."
The worst-case scenario ran through my mind. "Oh God, tell me Justin is ok!!"
"Yes yes, he's fine. Nothing bad happened to him."
"Oh, phew.. Well then what?"
"We got a letter from him."

   I held the cellular device in my hand, eyes dead ahead of me, staring at nothing. After about, what, 2 months, Justin has finally made contact. I miss him.

"What did he say about me??" I spat out.

"What? Why do you care if he said something about you?!" The way he said that reminded me of how I felt when Diane held Kevin's hand.. Jealous.

"Oh right.. I'm sorry. It's just, I haven't heard from him in a while that's all."
There was silence for a bit, then he began talking. "I know. I'm sorry."
"Well, what does it say anyway."
"Well, they're treating him alright. He's not hurt or anything, and his money is safe. And he told me specifically to tell you, that he's all right and not to worry."
I felt so happy. "Oh, so.. He's alright!"

"Yes.."
"That's great to hear, thanks!"
"No problem.."
"Hm, you know, you sound kind of down. Is there something wrong?"
"Oh, nah. I'm okay. I just.. really like you."
I thought that was kind of weird of a reply but, whatever. "I like you too." I giggled.

"Really?"
"Well, yes! Why wouldn't I?"
"Oh, just.. nevermind. Well, I'm going to be at school on Monday so.. See you in gym."

"Right.. See you in gym."
"Bye."
"Bye."
   I clicked the 'End Call' button and went back to my book. But I couldn't get our conversation out of my head. He seemed kind of serious and a little upset... Maybe I can clear that up with him tomorrow.

  Slowly I feel like the puzzle is coming back together. I'm getting more and more information about Justin, learning new things about the people around me, patching things up a problem, and discovering... new ones?

   There are just a few more things I have to do to get the next piece. When I get home later today, I'm calling Mason.



© 2011 Kikai


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on January 11, 2011
Last Updated on January 29, 2011


Author

Kikai
Kikai

Portland, OR



About
Hi colleagues! My name is Kikai, and I'm an aspiring novelist. I just love to write. Nothing fancy, just a good read for teens and young adults (I'm still one myself, after all). Please feel free to .. more..

Writing
The Doctor and I The Doctor and I

A Story by Kikai


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Kikai


Transparent Transparent

A Book by Kikai