21

21

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick
"

A trip to see the humans goes bad as lucifer finally shows his face.

"

As we leave the Den to start our journey to Washington DC, USA to meet with the president, we happen to run into Wyatt.

“What luck! I was hoping to catch you before you left, Ivan.” Wyatt says with a toothy smile

“Hey Wyatt, good to see you. What’s up?”

“I just got back from Transylvania, with good and bad news. The Vampires wish to stay neutral and not get involved in this war. Any Vampires that wish to act individually may temporarily break away from the clan and whom they want.”

"So the Vampires are going to lock themselves up in their castle and stay hidden until the war is over?" Saundra fumes

"Most of them, yes. I've recruited a group that is camped out a little ways into the countryside." Wyatt confirms

"Good work Wyatt, report to the Elders and then get your troops ready. We're off to try to get the humans to join our cause." I order

"Good luck guys." He says as I shake his hand

"Good luck to you as well." I say

"Thank you and good luck master." Saundra bows


Saundra and I hop into a car and start the long commute back to SeaTac airport...again. This time we stay in our own country so our flight short compared to the others. We're in Washington DC in matter of hours.

"Okay, lets do this. A quick in and out operation is all this should be, I hope to be done here ASAP." I ramble

"What makes this one so much worse than the others?" Saundra asks

"The fact that we're dealing with humans. Saundra in the next few hours we'll be breaking some major rules."

"That's never stopped you before babe." Saundra says wrapping her arms around my waist  and resting her chin on my shoulder.

"Like I said before, it's humans we're dealing with. I don't know, maybe I'm just feeling guilty for leaving my humanity behind."

"I think you've still got your humanity Ivan, why else would you be working so hard to save them all?"

"You have a point there, but we both know I'm not human in the least. And now so will they." I nod to all the passersby who give me weird looks. "Do you think that video played?"

"I don't know. It hasn't been that long so I kind of doubted, but everyone does seem rather suspicious of us don't they." She observed

"Dude look, it's him. The guy from the video!" A kid points at me enthusiastically

"The werewolf?" A more heavy set child asks his friend

"It's Lycan, not werewolf." I fume to myself. "I guess I've got my answer though."

The children run up to me, "You are him though, aren't you?"

"Who is him?" I ask stupidly

"The guy from the video. The werewolf that killed that other guy." The first child says

"It's Lycan damnit. Werewolves are men who turn into wolves, I turn into a monster."

The children's eyes light up. "Awesome!" they exclaim together.

I sigh exasperated, "What do you want? I'm kinda busy." The two boys start babbling to each other excitedly as I roll my eyes. "I don't have time for this. Come on Saundra, we've got to go meet the President somehow."

"No wait!" The pudgy boy cries

"Looks like you have fans Ivan." Saundra mocks

"Sorry but I've got places to go and people to see."

"Bite us." The first kid blurts out

"You know, that's an awfully rude thing to say to someone you don't know." I say calmly

"No, we're serious. We want you to bite us and turn us into werew-, I mean Lycans."

My mind flashes back to when Taylor and I first met Daimian. My emotions cause my eyes to change and my teeth to extend. "No, now get lost."

"But-" the chubby boy starts

"I said no! Now beat it before I rip your throats out with my teeth." I snarl

The boys go pale and run away tripping over their feet.

I take a deep, slow breath and my eyes and teeth return to normal. "Don't start Saundra."

"But they-"

"I said don't." I repeat ashamed

Saundra bites her lip as she lowers her head,"Okay Ivan, as you wish."

We have to walk to the White House seeing that no cab in the entire city would stop for us.

"Seriously, I feel like a criminal. What was on that video that makes me out to be a bad guy?" I wonder aloud

"I don't know, maybe that you threaten to rip children's' throats out."

"Saundra." I say warningly, "Besides that wasn't on the video. I'm sure my fight with Rain was, but I'm not sure if his death was or how much before that was captured."

"Sorry. Well maybe the President can clear that up, if we can get past them." Saundra points towards a line of men in front of the White House entrance gate, all in black suites.

"Secret Service. Damnit I forgot about them." I rub the back of my neck frustrated

"Any plans by chance?" Saundra asks

"None that don't include us getting shot at, problem is you're not quite as bulletproof as I am. Besides you're already weak from being exposed to the sun."

Saundra pulls her hood further over her head. "True. You think we could just talk to them?"

"Worth a shot its better than anything I've got anyways."

Saundra and I approach the wall of bodyguards with friendly smiles. Saundra and I were smiling, not them. No when they see us coming they immediately reach for their guns.

"Humans and their guns." I sigh to myself then raise my hands to show I mean no harm.

Saundra follows my lead and raises her hands as well.

"Hey there, my name is Ivan. You probably recognize me from this video everyone keeps talking about. The thing is I was hoping to get in there and have a word with President Korvach."

The Secret Service guard, whom was a very well built, man with a bald head and dark skin, laughed. "Why would the President want to talk to a terrorist like you?" His pistol aimed at my head the entire time.

"Terrorist? What are you talking about? I'm trying to save you guys. It's the Chaos Eclipse who are the terrorists!"

"Who? Give me a reason why I shouldn't shoot you where you stand." The guard says

"How about because it wouldn't do anything more than leave a slight bruise and make me really mad, and trust me you don't want to do that." I say

The security agent chuckles, "So now you're the hulk? Nice try kid but you're not getting in there."

"Getting laughed at is another thing that will piss me off. Look if you're so confident I'm nothing more than some terrorist then why don't you shoot me? If I die, good for you go get a medal, but if I don't then you personally take me to see Korvach."

To laughter comes from him this time, rather a look that suggests he's weighing the risk. Then the laughter. "You're pretty cocky ain't ya kid? Fine then, you wanna waste your life, not my problem."

A single gunshot sounds. My head snaps back and I'm thrown off my feet as pain burns across my forehead like I'd been kicked by an angry steed. I hear Saundra let out a scream before she appears by my side, followed by a large group of agents.

"Son of a b***h that hurt." I say clutching my head, "The scream was cute though." I look at Saundra

"Sorry, natural reaction. I'm not used to guns anymore." She blushes

"The hell? There's no way you should still be breathing. I just shot you point blank, in the head. What are you?" The secret service agent asks bewildered

"I told you it wouldn't work." I say getting up, "Now, lets go meet the President. Shall we?" I smirk and hold the crook of my arm out to Saundra

We're lead along a series of corridors until we reach a door. We receive worried or hateful looks from anyone we pass along the way.

The agent raps on the door three times before announcing, "Mr. Korvach, this is George. I've brought someone who wishes to speak with you."

"Come in George." A voice calls from behind the door.

When we enter the President is leaning over his desk looking at papers of some sort, a new bill perhaps.

"Who is it?" He asks without looking up

"My name is Ivan Burgman sir. I've come to talk to you about an alliance."

This causes him to look up. His face fences when he sees me. "You. George, why have you brought him here?"

"Because, from what he says, the video is wrong. And I kinda lost a bet to him. Sir I shot him in the head point blank and he came out of it with nothing more than that bruise on his forehead." George explains

"What bruise?" The President squints

George walks around to my front and his jaw drops, "it was just there. What? Where'd it go?"

"Oh, did I forget to mention that I heal relatively quickly? My bad." I smirk, "First off, I'd like to see this video everyone keeps talking about. I don't know anything about it other than its probably from when I killed Rain in Greece."

"Very well. I guess we don't have much choice do we? George if you please put the tape in and turn it on." The President orders, pushing a disk forward on his desk

George does as asked of him and a large television screen comes on, black at first but a picture follows. A set of silver eyes appear from the blackness. Looking into the eyes images of war flood my head, war from every age. Medieval, Ancient Greek, Roman, people with shields carrying swords, spears and other weapons. Images of soldiers in camo, squatting in trenches as the ground explodes around them, machine guns held tight against their bodies. After these I see soldiers in similar uniforms, but the weapons they use are different. When they fire, instead of a bullet rocketing from the chamber a simple green beam of light exits. The light flies through the air and hits someone in the chest, leaving a charred spot where it hit as the soldier falls down dead.

I squeeze my eyes shut and return to reality and hear a voice I immediately pin as Mammon's.

"In this world there a few inevitable truths. One is that there will always be war. No matter how hard you try to stop it, it will always exist. War brings darkness and there are indeed thing that go bump in the night. We are those things." The screen flashes white and six of the seven Chaos Generals are there, as well as a man in a white hooded robe with those same silver eyes glaring out at me. Those eyes look so angry, so full of power, like they can kill anything and everything.

He steps forward from the group, revealing bloodstains all over his robe. "Hello my children." He says in a voice like thunder. That voice I recognize immediately , but the body betrayed the voice. "I am Avengus, I am a god. War is coming my children , a war more devastating than any before. A war that will abolish the human species and give rise to those who you have pushed down and forgotten, the hidden races of this world. The goblins like Mammon, the Trolls like Beelzebub, and all of my loyal followers. But I am a merciful god and will spare you...IF you abandon your old ways and follow me and my brothers. If you choose not to heed my warning and dismiss my chance at salvation this is what awaits you." A video plays and for a moment I think it's another war, and I'm not far off, but then I see Rain. He's sneaking up behind Damian, it's the video from the labyrinth. It showed everything, me changing, tossing Rain around like a rag doll, impaling him and ripping his heart out and crushing it, every sickening detail, no censorship whatsoever. Avengus appears again with his killer eyes under his hood. "A similar fate awaits those who choose to oppose me."

The screen goes black for a second, then fills with static.

"What the hell was that?!" I cry

"Avengus made it look like you worked for him. One of his generals." Saundra follows

"I swear if I ever get my hand in him worse than I did Rain."

"Who is this Rain person you keep referring to?" George asks

"The vampiric I killed in the video. He was loyal to Avengus and killed my mentor, my father. Mr. President, please hear me out on this. There is a war coming and it will be waged over humanity, but I am not with that mad man Avengus. He is just some self proclaimed god who wants to enslave humans. I am putting together a rebellion in order to stop him."

"Okay. Well assuming that you're telling the truth please explain to me what he's talking about when he says 'the hidden'." President Korvach asks

"They are the other races that inhabit earth. They reside is secret communities referred to as the Underground. Races thought to be, well, fake." I explain

"You mean like gnomes and trolls and stuff?" George asks

"Yep, and Leprechauns, Minotaurs, Necromancers, and Dragonborn." I confirm

"Then there are Vampires and Lycans like Ivan and I." Saundra says

The President scoffs at us. "This is a joke right? I mean you honestly want me to believe that things like Vampires and Werewolves exist?"

"Want some proof?" I ask

"Proof?" The President's face drops

"Yeah. I'll change right here before your eyes." I offer

"I thought werewolves could only change during a full moon." George states

"Nope," Saundra begins," Full moons are mandatory transformations, but it's really emotionally triggered...we think. Then again Ivan is a hybrid between real Lycanthropes and the artificial ones made during the Second World War." Saundra beams happily

The humans' faces go blank

"Don't worry, I didn't believe it at first either." She tries to comfort them

"It's a long story, don't ask. If you want I'll explain later. For now I need the backing of the US before I go in front of the world council." I explain

"Okay then, do it. Change into a Werewolf and I will believe you and I will speak on your behalf." President Korvach says

"Okay, just a fair warning, don't shoot me in that form. I don't have as rational in that form so if I'm attacked my natural reaction is to retaliate and defend myself and trust me, you won't be able to take me down without silver."

Both men nod in understanding and George lays his gun on the floor just to show he's not going to test my life again.

"Saundra I'm going to try this on my own first, if that doesn't work you know what to do."

She nods in confirmation and stands back as well.

I close my eyes and exhale slowly, focusing on things that triggered the change before. At first it was no problem, I saw Mammon backhand Saundra, but the more I think about the Chaos Eclipse the more I see those eyes, those to rage filled moons at full glaring at me with murderous intent. I try to shake my head clear the image, like an Etch-A-Sketch, but it doesn't falter. The rage building up at the eyes for not listening is like a maelstrom in my head, the violent waters filling me up until I think my head is going to pop like a cork. Before I could even consider calming down I let out a vicious roar that resonates through the Oval Office and it's surrounding rooms, shattering the glass in the windows. The door to the office is beaten down as Secret Service floods in.

"Don't shoot!" Korvach cries to them

The guards stop, confused, but don't lower their weapons.

"He's not a threat. If you don't shoot he won't attack." Saundra explains "Besides, you shooting would only piss him off and then you're all dead. Maybe me too." Saundra walks over to me cautiously, hands up in the air like a hostage. "Ivan," she addresses, "try to calm down. It's Saundra, remember me?"

"I haven't lost all recollection." I say somehow even though I mean to think that privately

Saundra and the others look shocked, as was I.

"Well that's new. I thought I'd lost that trait." I grunt

"What do you mean?" Korvach asks

"I was originally a Lycanthrope and then I became a hybrid when I was blooded by a real Lycan too, so I guess I can do things they can't. Lycanthropes, that's the artificial ones, can speak in their wolven form because they are still pretty human, but Lycans completely change into primal beasts. I thought I'd lost my ability to speak in this form." I inform the President

"Right. Forgive my lack of enthusiasm but understand how hard this is for us to comprehend." Korvach says rubbing his forehead, "We assumed him to be a mad man using special movie graphics. The the security cameras picked you up and sent an alert to an anti-terrorist network."

"Then why not come and get me? You'd just let me wander the streets if I was a dangerous terrorist?"

"The images, you saw them too. Right?" George asks, "They weren't picked up by any of the security cameras in here. The images were, I don't know, projected into our heads or something." George looks squeamishly over his shoulder at the screen. "It sounds unreal I know, but I don't know how else to explain it."

"I believe you," I grunt, "he's tortured me in my dreams, so I don't doubt he could do something like that. But didn't you just say you thought him to mad?"

"Yes. I'm sorry this is so confusing. At first we did think that, but then there was the voice thing and then you appeared." Korvach explains, "We were skeptical of all the umm, creatures. Tell me, Ivan, just how big of a threat is this Avengus character?"

"I'd say a pretty serious threat sir. He's got a large army formed. You're biggest advantage is your guns. Most of us have strict morals along honor against using such weapons." I answer

"I see, and are throwing stars not ranged weapons?" Korvask eyes the belts that had fallen off

"Those are exceptions to the rule. For example if an opponent flees combat honorably you may kill then via ranged weapon. Thus saying you're a disgrace and a waste of my time so I'll stab you in the back from afar for being the coward you are."

"So your whole social network is based on combat status? Like barbarians, let me reframe that, like Vikings?" Korvach wonders

"I suppose you could look at it like that, however there are many interaction based elements as well." Saundra points out

"I see. So in a nutshell you want me to join the U.S. military with a ragtag militia of monsters." Korvach says bluntly

"I wouldn't be quite so rude about it, but yes. But as I've said I need someone to speak for us in the world council. Your military isn't enough to stop Avengus and god know what else he's got."

"Right, well I suppose that given our current state we've no choice to accept. I will speak on your behalf and I will call Daniel and set up a meeting for you over at the Pentagon." The President says

"Hold on, you mean the Secretary of Defense?" I stammer

"None other. Anything having to deal with the military has to go by him." Korvach says picking up the phone and hitting a few keys and sets the phone down again and we hear ringing. "You don't mind if I put it on speaker phone do you?"

The other end picks up, "Allen can this wait? I'm in the middle of a meeting."

"If you're busy that why'd you pick up?" Korvach inquires

"Because you don't hang up on the President of the United States. What is it?" The Secretary of Defence says

"Alright then, before I let you go I need to set up a meeting of my own. We've made an alliance with the 'terrorist' and I want him to meet you. We had it wrong, Avengus lied." The President continues

"What? Who? You mean the psycho?" Secretary Daniel asks upset

"That's the one. He's here with me actually. Don't be rude Ivan, say hello."

"Umm, hello Mr. Secretary. My name is Ivan Burgman, the so called terrorist. That's a false accusation, I'm on your side." I say as clearly as I could

"He's there in your office? Okay, fine, I'll meet with him. Come by in an hour and I'll see to it that we can be alone. Now with all due respect Mr.President I must get back to my meeting." There's a click as the Secretary of Defence hangs up.

"So Ivan, what all is in our rebellion?" Korvach smiles


We walk into the main entrance of the Pentagon, through metal detectors (which didn't go off because Saundra had convinced me to leave our weapons in the car) and upto the front desk.

"The Secretary of Defence is expecting us. Could you please let him know Ivan Burgman is here?" I ask politely

The lady at the desk looks up and raises an eyebrow at our unusual, un-businessman dress. "Yea, one moment please."

The security guards talk amongst themselves and point towards us.

"You think he told them we're not the bad guys?" Saundra nods towards the murmuring guards

"Lets hope so." I laugh nervously

"Okay, he'll see you now. Down the hall to the right, door 152." The lady behind the desk instructs

I knock on the door labeled 152 and Daniel bellows "Come in" in reply.

His office is very large and open with burgundy walls, one of which is lined with bookshelves. There are no windows but a grid of lights in the ceiling with a couple lamps on a large, organized maple desk. Secretary Daniel sits behind the desk, both lamps lit, scribbling on a piece of parchment. He looks up when we enter, "Ivan Burgman I presume?"

"Yes Sir and this is Saundra, one of my subordinates." I introduce

"Subordinate my a*s." Saundra huffs

"I see. The President filled me in on what's going on so far and I'm aware of the situation."

"So then why am I here?" I ask

"Simple. I don't believe you. How are we to know that you're not just drawing us close to take us all out for this Avengus?"

Saundra starts to interject with "How dare you"s. I quiet her before speaking.

"If I wanted to do that we wouldn't be talking right now and no one at the White House would still be breathing. The key to winning a war against any nation or race, Mr. Daniel, is to cut of its head. Without a leader the people become frantic and worried. They become easy prey for predators like Avengus and his army. I alone could massacre Washington DC and no matter what guns you used, you wouldn't be able to kill me. You are hopelessly outmatched by yourselves in this and without us rebelling against him Avengus would already have you all."

"That doesn't mean anything. You could also be staging a coup. Take us down from the inside." The Secretary argues

"Wow. You're a paranoid fellow aren't you." Saundra says shocked

"Didn't get here by making friends with everyone young lady. The person from the video, who was he?" Daniel asks

"Which one? There were a lot of people in that video." I state

"No, there were a lot of monsters. The person that you killed, who was that? Why'd he die?" Daniel questions

"First off, the person I killed wasn't a 'person', he was a vampiric. That was Rain, a subordinate of Lady Azmodaus, Avengus's Vampire General. He died because killed my... A very close friend of mine." I answer coldly

"I see. Well just understand this, just because the President has allied us doesn't mean we humans will welcome our so called saviors with open arms. We will be watching you Ivan." The Secretary threatens

"With all due respect Mr. Secretary, up until a little while ago you didn't even know we existed. If you looked me up in your data banks it'd say I'm dead, and for all that humanity is concerned I am. And upon my death I was reborn a child of the night. We don't have to help you when Avengus appears to put you in shackles, but we chose to anyways because even though the human named Ivan Burgman is dead, he was at one point alive and well." I turn on my heel and leave the room and the Secretary of Defence silent. "Come on Saundra, lets go home."


Saundra and I walk along the sidewalk the park in DC with all the monuments.

"I wonder what that guy's issue was? Why did he hate us so-", Saundra gets cut off as a group rushes past us towards the Washington Memorial

"He's gonna jump!" "Oh my god!"

Saundra and I follow the crowd to a larger crowd gathered around the Washington Monument, peering upwards. Standing at the very top was a small dot of a man that carried a familiar presence. Squinting was no good. Even with my enhanced Lycan eyes, he was standing against the sun. A sudden downdraft carries the man's scent and the revelation is incredible. I'm shocked into denial as first, there's no way he could be here. Off all people he was the last person I expected. The heavy musky scent dancing with the wind belongs to Silvermain, no doubt about it.

Saundra sees the dumbfounded look on my face. "What's wrong? Do you know him?"

I nod slowly.

"Avengus?" Saundra asks worried

"Silvermain." I correct her

"Silvermain? What's he doing here? He's supposed to be back on the island." She remarks

As if answering Saundra's question Silvermain's voice booms with a surprising force from the top of the monument. "Humans, do not be alarmed. I am here under my Lord's order and none shall be harmed. I am Lucifer, Avengus's first general and his second in command. I bring word from my master."

"What!? Silvermain was with Avengus this whole time? That b*****d, that traitor! I'll rip him to pieces!" I scream

People turn to look at the commotion and flee for their lives when they see me changing. The running and screaming brings Lucifer's attention to me. He smiles when he sees us.

I teleport up to where he is.

"Ahh, brother, you have come to-" he begins but is interrupted with a hard kick to the gut.

"You son of a b***h! You killed Daimian!" I snarl

Lucifer hits the ground hard, making a small crater in the cement on impact. "No, Rain killed him, remember? Then you went into a frenzy and ripped his heart out." Lucifer says standing up and brushing himself off

"You knew the ambush in Greece was going to happen and you let him go to his death. He was your son and you killed him! This is all your fault! I'll rip you apart!" I roar and propel myself at him, claws posed to kill

"Wrong sir!" Lucifer exclaims. He extends his arm and catches my head and thrusts me into the ground creating a larger crater out of the one from his impact. He kneels down to me and whispers, "This is my show Ivan, do not take my glory. Yes I sent Daimian to Greece while I knew about the ambush, yes I gave Avengus every scrap of intel you gave me, but most importantly it is indeed all my fault. Without me Avengus wouldn't have gotten this far." He beams proudly, "And because of my this world will burn as the four lords rule over it with Ragnarok." He lifts me off the ground by my neck. "But first I've got work to do." He slams me into the ground again.

I hear Saundra scream before everything goes black.




© 2013 J.R. Bergwick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

355 Views
Added on April 10, 2013
Last Updated on April 10, 2013
Tags: Ivan, Burgman, Nightwars, Rebellion, Book One, Book 1, Chapter 21, ChapterTwentyOne, Werewolf, Vampire, Werewolves, Vampires, Leprechaun, Minotaur, War, Sy-Fy, Syfy, Fight, Necromancer, Zombie, Blood


Author

J.R. Bergwick
J.R. Bergwick

Isanti, MN



About
I'm an 18 year old writer. I've been writing stories most of my life, mostly short stories. I've complete led on novel and am currently working on it's sequel and a separate novel. I enjoy writing bec.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


2 2

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


3 3

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick