Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

A Chapter by Zack Black

For the first time in almost a month, Raven brings the group back to planet Earth. Back to Marsha’s house while she’s still in the hospital from her injuries. Raven,April, and Ace sit at the kitchen table. Shelly sits up on the kitchen counter. Aldemar stands in the doorway leaning against the door frame. Emily is leaning against the refrigerator.

“Ed. Garret.” says Raven.

“This doesn’t need to be about this.” says Emily.

“What else should it be about then? Just because they weren’t your friends we should turn our backs.” says Aldemar.

“That’s not what I meant.” says Emily.

“Stop. Both of you. If we do this were just as bad as them.” says Raven.

“We need to get the Widow back. She’s our only chance at toppling Nathan.” says April.

“We need to stop Sabri.” says Aldemar.

“What about Sarah?” asks Shelly.

“Everyone calm down.” says Raven.

“If we go in divided we die divided.” continues Raven.

“Where do we even go?” says Aldemar with a hint of frustration in his voice.

Before Raven can speak again the front door swings open. Marsha comes through the front door, cane in hand to help her walk. Her knees bandaged, right arm in a cast, and a bandage above her left eye. April and Shelly jump to their feet and run to their mother, hugging her tightly. Marsha kisses each of them on the head and rest her head on the top of April’s head. After a moment or two they break the hug. Marsha takes a seat at the open spot at the table, April sits back in her seat, Shelly sits back on the counter.

“Now let’s get some goddamn payback.” says Marsha.

“How did you get out? I mean like, how did you get back here?” asks Shelly.

“A man named Nanuq, said he was a friend of the Widow’s brought me here. Said he wants our help. And to burn this when we’re ready for him.” says Marsha, setting a talisman Nanuq made on the table.

“Our first goal needs to be to save the Widow.’ says Raven.

“We need someone to stay here with mom.” says April.

“No, I’m going.” says Marsha trying to stand up, but winces and falls back into the seat.

“Marsha, be serious for a minute. You barely walked through that door. You need to stay and rest. “I say Aldemar stay.” says Raven.

“Why should I stay?” asks Aldemar, almost offended.

“What happens if your emotions get the best of you? What happens when it comes to the life of one of us, and the death of one of them. Can we trust that you’ll be there for us?” asks Raven.

“What do you mean?” asks Aldemar now standing face to face with Raven.

“I mean you don’t have the instincts the rest of us do. You haven’t seen the s**t and the piss and the hell this world has put us through.” says Raven.

“You think I haven’t seen people die? I’ve watched people as old as April and Shelly get massacred for ten thousand years.” says Aldemar.

“But how many of them meant anything more than a grain of rice to you?” asks Raven looking into Aldemar’s blank stare.

“Your silence speaks virtues.” says Raven turning her attention to the rest of the group.

“We need to find the man who knows where the Widow is. Nanuq she said? Burn the damn thing.” says Raven.

Emily and Ace decide to take the talisman outside the house. Ace walks around gathering some kindling to start a small fire.

“You don’t seem like much of a boy scout to me.” says Emily with a smile and a small chuckle.

“Listen, I may not be. But I think I could start a fire.” says Ace.

“Such confidence.” says Emily playfully rolling her eyes.

“Well there are harder things.” says Ace pulling out a lighter.

“Cheater!” says Emily with a giggle.

Ace starts the fire and he and Emily continue to have small talk. Once the fire grows big enough, Emily drops the talisman in, and at first nothing happens. Emily and Ace stand up from being crouched next to the fire. Emily brushes her hands on her pants and shakes her head.

“Punked. Go figure.” says Emily.

“Emily, wait.” says Ace pointing her attention to the fire which has gone out but the smoke continues to brew. After a moment the smoke begins to take shape. Then details start to come to life. Hair, legs,torso, nose, ears, and finally the face. Nanuq stands in front of them, just as anyone else would.

“My name is Nanuq, talisman maker. I hail from New Mexico currently. But my people have been all over these great lands.” says Nanuq introducing himself.

“Ace Hood, protector of the Psychics.” says Ace, shaking his hand.

“Emily, Genie.” says Emily introducing herself.

“If you don’t mind me asking, how do you know the Widow?” asks Ace.

“We met about a week ago, maybe less. I spend a lot of my time in the afterworld. Helping souls move on. The one’s the reapers ignore. They got stuck in a corner or they go through a door and then they get stuck in Purgatory forever. I met the Widow when she had mistaken me for a Reaper. We helped your friend Marsha return back to this world.” says Nanuq.

“Big words from a man we but just met.” says Emily.

“I understand your concerns, but I tried to save the Widow myself. Nathan is too strong for me alone to defeat.” says Nanuq.

“Why do you want the Widow?” asks Ace.

“She’s a friend. Friends help friends.” says Nanuq.

“We’ve seen a lot of bloodshed. Especially lately.” says Ace with a sigh.

“Five years ago my village was raided. Almost half the people in my village died. I was captured and forced to watch them kill my people.” says Nanuq looking down at his feet.

“My family was killed as well.” says Emily showing sympathy.

“My family survived. But not many other families were lucky enough.” says Nanuq.

“We owned a shop back at my home world. Shapeshifters attacked, and we all went in a bottle to hide. Somehow I woke up in a pawnshop in Ohio.” says Emily with a chuckle.

“War is evil, but sometimes it’s a temporary fix” says Nanuq being cut off.

“For a permanent planet.” says Ace finishing the phrase.

“Where did you hear that quote?” asks Ace.

“As crazy as it sounds, they say that” says Nanuq before being cut off again.

“They say that Robin Hood said that before he shot the arrow into the Cyclops’s eye.” says Ace.

“Yes, you’re familiar with his work?” asks Nanuq.

“Well he’s in my bloodline, kinda hard not to.” says Ace with a smile.

“I feel graced to be in your presence Mr. Hood, I just didn’t put the names together earlier.” says Nanuq.

“Why don’t we go in and discuss things further later.” says Emily.

Emily and Ace walk to the front door, and open it. They walk in and let Nanuq come from behind them.

“Hello.” says Nanuq, looking at the intense stares in the room.

“Do you remember me?” asks Nanuq to Marsha who responds by shaking her head from left to right. Nanuq comes up to her, gets down on one knee and holds her hand.

“My name is Nanuq. I helped the Widow bring you back.” says Nanuq.

“I just said I don’t remember you.” says Marsha pulling her hand back.

“Why don’t you take a step back.” says Raven putting her hand on Nanuq’s chest.

“I don’t remember! I don’t remember!” yells Marsha.

“Mom calm down!” says April grabbing her shoulders.

“I don’t remember the other side, I’m sorry!” cries Marsha with tears flooding her eyes.

“Of course she doesn’t.” says Aldemar rolling his eyes and walking to the other room.

“If you have something to say, just say it.” says Shelly walking into the other room following Aldemar.

“To you I have nothing.” says Aldemar grabbing the doorknob and starting to open the door.

“Fine then listen to me.” says Shelly shutting the door in front of him.

“Whoever in the hell told you that you were this special has about as a big of a head as you do.” says Shelly.

“Excuse you?” says Aldemar getting angry.

“Oh you heard me. You think because you’ve seen Psychic’s come and go that no one else’s lives matter. I bet you could even care less about Ace even after everything he’s done for you. If you need April you need every last one of us standing in this house. Even you.” says Shelly putting her index finger into the old man’s chest.

“What do you mean by that? “Even me?” he asks mimicking her.

“What I mean is that we need you, just as much as you need us. If you think you can walk out that door and stop him alone, I wish you the best of luck in the afterlife. Because you’ll be dead.” says Shelly.

A brim silence fills the room. Then like a rock coming through a window, a voice breaks the silence. A familiar voice from the past. A voice heard by few in the room before, but some have no idea.

“I think everyone needs to stop acting and talking in such spite.” says the voice coming from the hallway.

“It can’t be.” says Marsha looking into Raven’s eyes.

“Who in the hell?” asks Ace looking around not recognizing the voice.

“I love all of you, and I hate to see you turn on each other.” says Jonathan, Marsha’s husband, April and Shelly’s father, coming out of the shade of the house.

“Jonathan.” says Marsha dropping to her knees in the kitchen tears flooding from her eyes.

“Dad it can’t be you.” says April in shock and awe.

“Jonathan how is it possible?” asks Raven.

“My beautiful daughter.” says Jonathan looking to April.

“What do you mean?” asks Emily.

“All of my stuff is still here and April was here, so I was able to use her Psychic ability to kinda piggyback my way back into the world. It may be temporary, just while I have enough strength, but I think it’s enough to help.” says Jonathan.

“But Dad, how do you know anything that could help?” asks April.

“Listen guys I would love to catch up with all of you and meet the rest of you, but I’m not sure how much time I have left before I fade back into, afterlife.” explains Jonathan.

“Before I died I built up a library here in the house. It’s in the basement, well under the basement. There’s a part of the floor that is loose. Find it and pick it up, and it’ll reveal stairs leading to my library.Everything you will ever need to know could be in that library. Most importantly a book on Hell’s government. Find the loopholes.” says Jonathan.

“But Dad” says Shelly trying to plead for more answers.

“I don’t have much time, come say your goodbyes. We may see each other again sometime.” says Jonathan opening his arms for a hug. Shelly goes first and hugs her dad.

“Do you have to leave Daddy?” says Shelly weeping, into her dad’s shoulder.

“Yes baby, now come on. You’re almost an adult. Act like it.” says Jonathan patting her face.

“I will Daddy.” says Shelly with a smile kissing Jonathan on the cheek and walking back with the rest of the group being comforted by Ace and Emily. April walks over next and hugs him.

“I remember seeing you with the Reaper the day of your funeral. Look at how much I’ve grown Dad. I went from a scared little girl to strong powerful Psychic who could save everything you fought for.” says April hugging her father tight.

“I love you, and you’ll always be my baby no matter how big you get.” says Jonathan kissing her cheek. Raven and Marsha look at each other.

“I’ll go, you should have the last word with him.” says Raven walking to Jonathan giving him a hug, breaking down and crying.

“I’m so sorry. I should have been here for you. For them. We shouldn’t be meeting like this.” says Raven through her tears.

“Stop, Raven, please, stop.” says Jonathan wiping a tear.

“You were my best friend and I let them get to you.” says Raven burying her face into his shoulder. Tears pouring from her eyes into his shirt.

“Raven, some things are meant to be. It was my time. My God called upon me, the Titans were ready for me.” says Jonathan.

“I wish I believed in the Titans. It’s just, I don’t know anymore.” says Raven.

“Watch out for Rachel.” whispers Jonathan into Raven’s ear in their final hug.

“Thank you for everything Jonathan.” says Raven breaking the hug and kissing her best friend on the cheek and moving out of the way for Marsha.

Marsha bites her lip in angst, waiting to talk to her deceased husband just one more time. Tears are surprisingly not flowing down her face. She remains calm and hopeful. Marsha takes one more deep breath and goes to face her husband.

“Jonathan. Jonathan. I miss you.” says Marsha.

“Honey.” says Jonathan moving her hair from her face.

“I wanted to be with you.” says Marsha silencing the room.

“Honey, don’t say that.” says Jonathan.

“When I was dying, when Sabri had me in his choke hold of a possession. I didn’t fight back. I could have, and initially I did and I wanted to, but after a week I lost all hope and was ready to go. I just wanted to be with my husband.” says Marsha falling to her knees and leaning her head against his knee.

“Marsha please.” says Jonathan kneeling down to be face to face with her.

“The girls need you. These people here need you.” says Jonathan.

“Every last one of them need you Marsha. They don’t just need another body but they need everything you bring to the table.” says Jonathan helping her back up.

“I want everyone here to remember what I’ve said. Because it goes for all of you. If you are to return peace to this world, and stop Nathan from growing his empire, stop the tyrant known as Sarah, and prevent Sabri from raising the Dragons, you all need to work together. No more petty bull s**t.” says Jonathan as he notices his body beginning to fade.

“Well everyone. It seems my time is running out. For now it’s goodbye.” says Jonathan walking back down the hallway and out of  their lives again.


© 2015 Zack Black


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on December 28, 2015
Last Updated on December 28, 2015


Author

Zack Black
Zack Black

OH



About
I am a supernatural story based writer who will attempt to blow your mind! more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Zack Black


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Zack Black


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by Zack Black