The Hunt

The Hunt

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

An ANN THE VAMPIRE story.

"

      Ann and her clan gathered on the front porch of the house. It was cold and tiny snowflakes fell from the heavy cloud cover. There was already six inches of snow on the ground and as the tiny flakes twirled down they joined the ones already accumulated there. The snow would only build up. A soft breeze ruffled the vampire's hair and clothing. In the distance wolves sang, their voices crisp, beautiful and clear.

      Tyler, Justin and Julie were eager and excited. This would be their first hunt and kill that they would perform. Ann and Eddie would be with them but they'd be doing the hunting and killing on their own. This would end the live prey brought to them by Ann and Eddie. They felt confident they were no longer human but vampires. They were now the predators, no longer the prey.

      They were all dressed warmly but weren't dressed so heavily that their clothing would hamper them. Their clothing was styled such that their wings could function without hindrance as well.

    “Okay.” Ann said. “This is where you get to prove you can survive as a vampire. This will prove you can take your prey, kill your prey without remorse or guilt. Above all you must survive. All life forms on this wonderful planet strive to survive. We vampires are no different.”

     “No we're not.” agreed Tyler.

     “We will survive.” Justin said.

     “I will. I won't give in to the notion I am murdering when I take my human prey and feed from him or her. It's only murder if you kill your own species in cold blood.” Julie said.

     “You are correct Julie.” Ann said. “We all do what we must to survive.” Ann looked at her little group of students. “So. You three are ready?”

      “Yes!” They cheered which stirred the huskies in their pen. They barked excitedly in response.

     “Okay. Eddie and I will take you to a winter vacation spot. Yes, they do exist up here. They are hardy humans who will be there. We'll watch over you while you hunt, feed and kill.” Ann said.

     The three students nodded.

    “Okay.” Eddie said and clapped his hands. He said loudly, “Let's go!”

     Eddie lifted off into the air, Ann right behind him. Ann unfurled her beautiful black feathered wings as she rose high into the air. Her and Eddie's wings made a soft ruffling sound. They circled overhead in slow lazy circles waiting for the others to join them.

     The three young vampires quickly joined Ann and Eddie. “Follow me.” Eddie told them. He led them over the snowy, forested landscape of Douglas fir and spruce trees. They flew quietly, Tyler leading, Justin and Julie just behind him while they were flying behind Eddie and Ann.

     Below they heard wolves howling and further ahead, one of the werewolf packs howled as they hunted. Moose kept themselves hidden but the vampires and werewolves had no trouble detecting them.

     “I'm hungry.” Julie said to Tyler.

     “Same here, we're about to prove we're fully and completely vampires.     This is exciting.” Tyler added.

     Justin said, “This is what we've been waiting for all our lives, Tyler and me anyway.”

     “I didn't know vampires were even real.” Julie said.

     “I'm glad you're with us.” Tyler said, looking at Julie as she moved forward, her feathery wings carrying her along the air.

     “Well, I am too.” Justin said.

     Julie smiled, “I'm glad I'm here with you all too.”

     “Okay, we're almost there.” Eddie announced.

     Up ahead they saw lights flickering through the falling snow. They scented human on the cold crisp air. The swish of their blood rushing through their veins was loud to all the vampire ears. The scent of their living blood grew stronger and powerful as they closed in on their destination.

They came down close to the little cluster of buildings but not too close. There were dogs present but before they sound the danger alarm by fierce barking Eddie had silenced them with a warning snarl. The dogs whimpered. They knew danger had arrived but couldn't signal danger to their humans.

     “Alright, Tyler, Justin and Julie, go to the humans and prove what kind of vampires you are. Eddie and I will be close by just in case.” Ann said. “Go be vampires.”

     Without a word Tyler, Justin and Julie glided forward through the snow. It looked as if they were floating over the surface of the six to eight inches of snow. They were so graceful they made no sound at all. They disturbed not a single flake of snow. They were not of this world, but spirits from a different ghostly realm.

     Ann and Eddie watched them go. “They will be successful.” Eddie said.

     Ann nodded, “Yes, they will. Tyler and Justin have truly grown up.”

“Yes they have. I am proud of them.”

     “I am too. Tyler has come a long way. So has Justin.”

Ann and Eddie could easily hear the humans softly talking inside. There were four humans. One was in a room off by himself sleeping. The other three were talking about finances and the fact they needed more supplies. The problem they were having was how to pay for the supplies.

     Suddenly the conversation stopped. There were several slight thumps that no human ears would have been able to hear. Then came drinking sounds mixed with the slurping, sucking and flesh ripping sounds. The fourth human slept on.

      Ann and Eddie looked at each other, proud smiles on their faces. Their vampire children were proving themselves. Ann and Eddie waited and listened as their children feasted. After a short time later Tyler, Justin and Julie returned, gliding easily above the snow. They all had smears and drops of blood on their clothing but their faces were clear.

     “We left the door open and invited several werewolves inside to feast.” Tyler announced.

     “They were waiting outside.” Justin said. 

     “Who were they?” Julie asked.

     “Friends.” answered Ann. “You three did wonderfully. You are strong vampires. One day you will be powerful.”

     “Thanks mom.” Tyler said. “We have good teachers.”

     “Yes you do.” agreed Ann. “So now let's go home.”




© 2014 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Another enjoyable tale of Ann the Vampire. I'm glad to see more of these tales.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina Kline

9 Years Ago

Thanks BCF.
Good addition to The Ann the Vampire stories and book.
I like this one. Julie has turned out to be a cool new character.
Just the right amount of blood and guts, in this. They are vampires after all.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina Kline

9 Years Ago

Thanks very much.
A very fine vampire tale.
I was enthralled reading it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina Kline

9 Years Ago

Thanks very much!
I like. The characters seem so normal yet they are vicious when they hunt for the substance that keeps them alive. Cool vampire horror story.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina Kline

9 Years Ago

Thank you!!!
Coyote Song

9 Years Ago

You are so welcome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
4 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on July 26, 2014
Last Updated on July 26, 2014


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline