Birthday

Birthday

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

An ANN THE VAMPIRE story.

"
    

     Today was Ann's birthday. No one in her Clan would let the day or night go by without celebrating. One part of Ann hoped they would but another part didn't want to be forgotten. So she pretended she didn't notice the hushed voices talking away and she pretended she didn't notice the quick looks and the sneaky behavior. Ann hid a pleased smile. It was obvious something was up and since she wasn't part of all this sneaky behavior it had to be her birthday. Ann smiled as she headed outside. It was snowing, the night sky was heavily overcast.

     “I'm going out for a while.” Ann called before she shut the door. She knew they would like that. They wouldn't have to be so sneaky. Surely they knew she knew something was up.

     “I'll go with you.” Tina hurried after her.

     'You two go for a walk or something. That would be good. Quality sister time together.” Julie called after them.

     “Yeah.” Eddie called out too. “But you two don't be gone too long.”

     “We won't.” Tina called back.

     There was several inches of snow on the ground. They easily walked through it. A wind was gusting about, shaking the Douglas fir and other evergreen tree limbs. An owl hooted, its voice carrying far on the icy chilled air. Another owl answered the first one. A coyote yapped and barked somewhere close by. Two more joined in. The three coyotes started up a song together. The sound rose and fell in beautiful undulating wild tones.

     “This place is all very breathtaking.” Tina said.

     “So, Alaska isn't disappointing? You know, how you use to dream about it?”

     “No, its not.” Tina said. “I haven't spent much time in the big cities like Fairbanks and Anchorage. I like it here. Wild and beautiful.”

     “It is. I often thought about you sister. I'm glad you are here.”

     Tina took one of Ann's hands in hers and gave it a tender squeeze. “So am. I thought you dead. It wasn't until I became a vampire and moved to Seattle that I begin to hear stories about the vampires in Alaska. Your clan was mentioned. Often. Not by name but it sounded like you. Finally I had to come up here just to see you for myself. And finding you....incredible!”

     “Yes.”

     They walked through the winter dark forest silently for a while. The songs of the wild haunted them as they walked. The coyotes, the owls and the werewolves and Timber Wolves, all howling and calling out into the cold winter night.

     Gusts of wind created tiny blizzards that lasted for several seconds only. Once the wind had blown on by, the swirling snowflakes returned to their normal falling pattern.

     “I know its your birthday today Ann.” Tina finally said.

Ann giggled, “I think everyone knows. Don't think I hadn't noticed all the sneaky behavior going on.”

     Tina now smiled, “Yes, they are preparing a surprise party for you.”

     Ann put her hands together in front of her for a moment, then let them fall to the side. “I don't know if I should be embarrassed or pleased.”

     “You can be both.”

     “Okay. I'll be both.”

     “That's the best way to do it. Once the celebrating starts the embarrassment will go away.” Tina assured her.

     “That's good to know.”

     “Shall we go back now? They've had enough time to decorate and put your gifts out on the table.”

     Ann looked at her sister, her eyes sparkling and her fangy smile wide. “Okay. I can't wait to see what they've done.”

     They turned around and headed back to the house. The snow was falling heavier and the temperature had dropped. But inside Ann and Tina knew that a fun celebration was to be had. When they reached the house it was all lit up like a Christmas Tree and Christmas Music was flowing out of the open front door.

      “Well.” said Ann. “This is more like Christmas than my birthday.” She smiled.

     “It is your birthday Ann.”

     Hand in hand they went up the front stairs and walked in. Three huskies rushed up to greet them, bushy tails going to and fro, muzzles open wide in a doggie smile. As soon as they entered everyone around the table started singing, “Happy Birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Ann, happy birthday to you! The table they were standing around was piled high with gifts wrapped in colorful birthday wrapping paper. Ann was glad to notice not a single gift was wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper, but if some or all had been she wouldn't have minded at all.

     “Happy Birthday sister.” Tina said.

     “Happy Birthday mom!” Tyler cried. So did Justin.

     “Happy Birthday Ann.” said Jake and another werewolf.  Ann was surprised and very pleased to see him here.

     “Hey Ann. Happy Birthday!” Julie and Sara said.

     “Happy birthday my love.” Eddie said, taking Ann in his arms and kissing her.

     Everyone cheered!

     This is going to be the best birthday ever, Ann thought.





© 2015 Tina Kline


Author's Note

Tina Kline
In memory of Ann on her birthday. December 2. You might be gone from this world but you are not forgotten. Never forgotten.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

' “So am. I thought you dead. ' ~ So am 'I'
' “Okay. I can't wait to see what they;v done.” ' ~ 'they've done'
' "They turned around and headed (a)back to the house. ~ strike out (a)

Just a few little typos I caught. I enjoyed ready this chapter in the story. Thank you for sharing!


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina Kline

8 Years Ago

Thanks for reading. Glad you enjoyed. And thanks for pointing out some typos. The person who use to .. read more
Wicahpi

8 Years Ago

you are very welcome :) I hope you had a fabulous Christmas!



Reviews

A well written story staring Ann, a character I like a lot. I enjoy reading this wonderful tribute to Ann.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A wonderful story and birthday tribute to Ann, and in her memory as well.
A good tale. A grand addition to your ongoing saga of Ann the vampire.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

' “So am. I thought you dead. ' ~ So am 'I'
' “Okay. I can't wait to see what they;v done.” ' ~ 'they've done'
' "They turned around and headed (a)back to the house. ~ strike out (a)

Just a few little typos I caught. I enjoyed ready this chapter in the story. Thank you for sharing!


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina Kline

8 Years Ago

Thanks for reading. Glad you enjoyed. And thanks for pointing out some typos. The person who use to .. read more
Wicahpi

8 Years Ago

you are very welcome :) I hope you had a fabulous Christmas!
Awesome story. Very moving. Such a wonderful tribute to Ann on her birthday.
We all miss her.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this chapter in Ann's life. It is a fantastic tribute to her memory.

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on December 2, 2015
Last Updated on December 12, 2015


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline