Alone This Night

Alone This Night

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

A complete ANN THE VAMPIRE short story.

"

     The northern lights were hanging low in the freezing winter dark sky. Colorful reds, blues, greens, purples and some over mysterious color shifted in the solar winds. They hung so low Ann felt she could reach up and touch them. The hissing and cracking were loud, like something snapping on the frozen air. And that frozen air was a almost transparent silver color. It was all so beautiful.

    Ann loved the view but she was hungry, a bit too hungry to appreciate the beauty as much as she normally would. Her fangs ached to sink into human flesh and her throat and veins burned for the life giving warm liquid sustenance human blood would deliver to her. She needed to find prey. 

     Eddie was engrossed in some home project with Tyler and Justin. Julie and Sarah were out together and Tina was with Jake so Ann decided to hunt on her own. She was okay with that, not feeling rejected or anything. No hurt feelings. Actually she enjoyed her lone hunts. She enjoyed the freedom of not having to worry about someone else all the time. It was good sometimes. And this night it felt good to be on her own.

    As Ann walked through the deep snow she heard the wolves howling. These were werewolves from Jake's Alaskan Werewolf Pack. Ann smiled. She knew Tina was out there with them this night. And she was pleased Tina hadn't moved in with Jake and his wolves. She was loyal to Ann and the Vampire Clan. Just as she should be. The wolves voices rang high and low, closer and further away, like golden droplets on the frozen night air.

     I'm so hungry I feel like I will die. I need blood. I went too long without any and I know better. Now I feel desperate. I must stay in control and not do something risky or stupid. The northern lights are lovely as well as the wolves singing but I need blood. I am starving.

    Ann lifted her head and sniffed at the cold air. Something had caught her attention and it was blood. Human blood. At least she hoped it was human blood.  Silently Ann pushed through a snowy bushy clump of bushes into a small open area. There were a lot of those in these dark woods. Yes. It was human blood. Yum. She pushed through the last underbrush and stepped into the small open area. In the ring sat a man with two dogs. The dogs didn't even lift their heads when she approached. She wondered why then realized they were dead. The man was almost dead.

    BLOOD! Ann stared at the man. He was alive but was hardly moving. He sat there with a hand on the head of each dead dog. Ann let out a tiny sigh. She knew once upon a time she would have felt sorrow and compassion. But now she felt nothing. It was like remembering something she had read in a book. It didn't touch her emotions.  BLOOD! That is all that mattered. Who this man was and why he was stuck out here in the Alaskan cold didn't matter. The two dogs being dead was a blessing. They couldn't sound a warning to their human. He didn't know she was even watching him.

    With a hungry cry Ann launched herself on the man, her black feathery wings slightly unfurled. The man yelled then he said nothing as Ann covered his cold body with hers, sinking her fangs into his neck and siphoning out his life giving blood. He didn't struggle. He lay there accepting. Maybe he wanted to die.

     Well, if he did Ann did him a favor and drank all his life giving blood. By the time she was close to finishing two of Jake's Werewolf Pack Members were there. Ann saw them and knew what they wanted. The corpse. They could smell death from miles away.  And would gladly give it. The two werewolves weren't interested in eating the two dead dogs, now almost frozen stiff.

   “Ahhh.” Ann let out a sigh of satisfaction and an easing of her torment. She stood up and stepped away from the corpse, wiping blood from her face, “He's yours guys.”

    The two wolves shot forward and began tearing into the carcase. Smiling Ann left the little clearing and headed back into the forest. Now she could enjoy the beauty of the northern lights and the silver and gold dancing along the frozen night air.

     She reached out to touch the northern lights with her finger tips. Silver and gold sparkles drifted off her finger tips and rode slowly along the frozen air waves.

     “Beautiful.” Ann whispered.

     And it was. Sometimes she just enjoyed being alone and enjoying all the magic around her, like being alone this night.



© 2016 Tina Kline


Author's Note

Tina Kline
In loving memory of Ann Margo on her birthday, Dec 2/

Love you and miss you much, little sister.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

There is always some human around just waiting to be food for something un-human. I enjoyed this chapter a lot.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A fun dark read. Ann showing her vampire nature. She needs to eat, after all.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 2, 2016
Last Updated on December 2, 2016


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline