Blood And Snow

Blood And Snow

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

An ANN THE VAMPIRE story.

"

     Ann was Blood Hungry and wanted to hunt. Standing in front of the glass wall in her and Eddie's bedroom she watched the millions upon millions of snowflakes rushing by, all heading for the frozen ground. Here they accumulated on the snow already fallen and inches had turned into feet.

     She could hear the huskies in their kennel. They shifted restlessly about, whimpering and whining. They were well fed and watered. Their kennel was heated at a comfortable temperature. They were eager to be out and running. Being cooped up so long was making them rather discontent. The huskies couldn't understand that they couldn't be out during a blizzard like snow storm. Tyler and Justin hadn't been on their trap lines for a while because of the snow storm.

     The two boys were busy lately studying about vampire life. The date for their turning was rapidly approaching. And that truth was filling up the boys time now. But the dogs weren't neglected. With the snowfall being so much like a blizzard even letting them out of their kennels to run as a pack wasn't wise.

      Ann turned away from the window. She was dressed in blue jeans, a pink long sleeve T-shirt and soft boots with fur trimming. The fur was real and from her son's traps. She liked the fur trimming on her boots and wasn't worried about the fact a small furry animal had died so she could have fur trimmed boots. The animals caught in the traps were fresh healthy meat for the husky dogs. It was much much healthier than store bought bags or cans of dog food.

     But right now Ann's mind was on the need for blood. Such weather conditions made hunting for her difficult. She feared being trapped somewhere as a result of the blizzard like conditions. Ann hadn't forgotten the time when she fell from the sky during a blizzard and had been knocked unconscious on impact. It was Jake the werewolf who had saved her.

     Ann's black feathered wings rustled restlessly. She wanted to flow out into the night, unfurl her black wings and rise up into the night sky. She loved flying and she loved the hunt.

     Leaving her bedroom she hurried downstairs. Tyler and Justin were sitting at the dining room table with a table lamp on between them studying vampire literature. Eddie was in the kitchen doing something. By the sounds of the noise he was making Ann concluded he was making a meal for the boys. Ann smiled a tense smile. Yes, the boys needed to be fed and she needed to be fed as well. But she would get her own meal. Ann headed for the front door and flung it open. The snowfall was noticeably lighter.   Freezing air rushed into the cabin, with it came a powerful gust of wind and snowflakes.

     “Hey mom! Whadda yah doing?” Justin asked in a loud voice.

     “Shut the door please! You're letting cold air in!” Protested Tyler.

     Ann shut the door. Eddie entered the living room with a stainless steel frying pan in his hand. He looked hard at Ann. “Are you okay Ann?”

     Ann shook her head no. Then she said; “I'm hungry.”

     Eddie gave Ann a sad look. “Honey, you let too much time go between hunts which risks you starving when unexpected weather events happen, namely blizzards. Doing this is too risky.”

     “Blizzards aren't unexpected events here.” Tyler said.

     “Okay. So true. I just don't like to hunt when I'm not hungry.” Ann said.

     “How about getting plastic bags from a blood bank and keep them stored for unexpected events such as the weather?” suggested Justin.

     Ann made a face. “Ugh! Nasty tasting dead blood.”

     “It would help you get through these types of situations.” Tyler said.

     “I know.” Ann turned to Eddie. “The snow is getting lighter. I'm going out.”

     “I was getting ready to cook the boys meal.”

     “Go ahead and do that. I won't be long. I'm sure there are humans around Coldfoot. Fur trappers and such types.” Ann said with a sweet fangy smile for him.

     “I don't like the idea of you going out alone.”

     “Eddie! I'm a vampire.”

     “You're my vampire woman.”

     Ann laughed softly, “And I can hunt without a male by my side under any circumstance.”

     Eddie frowned. “Well...still...this weather can be a problem, you know.”

     Smiling and without responding to Eddie, Ann turned to the front door. “See you all later.”

     Eddie's frown darkened as he watched Ann go out the door and shut it behind her. He was already worried for her.

     Tyler and Justin watched him from where they were sitting at the table. “Don't worry Eddie.” Tyler said.

     “I can't help it. Blizzards like this just aren't safe for any vampire to be out in.” He looked at both boys for a brief moment then went back into the kitchen to finish fixing them a meal.

     “I can't wait until I'm a vampire. Mom won't ever be alone in weather like this. I'll make sure she keeps herself well fed too.” Tyler said.

     “I'll help you make sure too. I know she can be super stubborn.” Justin said.

     They both nodded at each other in agreement. In the kitchen a worried Eddie overheard what the two boys were saying. He smiled, pleased Ann's two sons cared deeply for their mother. He hoped they'd stay around once they were turned into vampires. He wanted them to be a vampire clan and he knew Ann wanted her family to stay together.

    

    Outside in the heavy snowfall Ann raced through the forest. The snow was lighter and seeing wasn't as difficult. The icy cold didn't bother her, only the Blood Hunger did. She hoped to quickly find some stray human as she headed for Coldfoot. She didn't hunt there often. It was too close to home and only a foolish vampire would draw attention to themselves by hunting in their own neighborhood. Ann and Eddie only hunted in or close to Coldfoot in times of emergencies such as now. Coldfoot was small and only a few locals lived there year round. Ann was counting on a few lingering tourists to still be present there.

     On the outskirts of town she found one such person. A man hold up in his pickup truck on the side of an obscure unpaved road. As Ann crept closer she figured the man either ran out of gas or was waiting for the snowstorm to clear up. He looked as if he were asleep inside his truck. He had to be freezing cold since he didn't have his truck running too so he could have the heater on.

     He was alive though. Ann could hear his heartbeat and smell his warm living blood.

      He will be my meal this night, Ann thought. And he will not be missed for a long time.

     Ann's black wings fluttered in her excitement, making a soft rustling sound. She darted forward, grabbed a hold of the door handle and yanked it off the truck.

     The loud noise woke the man but he didn't even have a chance to see what was happening, let alone scream. Ann was on him and sank her fangs deep into his throat. Holding the man in place she started her blood feast. The man couldn't struggle as Ann drained his life out of him and took it into her. Ann was too powerful and he, being only human, was much too weak. He slowly died in his truck and Ann felt more powerful and alive as she feasted on his life essence.

     When Ann heard her victim's heartbeat flutter then stop she withdrew her fangs. She licked the blood from her lips and what she couldn't reach with her pink tongue she wiped off with the back of her hand.

     She slid back out of the truck and stood a moment in the falling snow enjoying the profound sense of relief she felt after feasting on human blood. She smiled and looked up at the falling snow. Laughing softly she then picked up the door she had torn from the truck and put it in the truck bed.

     Ann stood there for a moment again then went around to the front of the truck and forced open the door on the driver's side without yanking it off and put the truck in drive. Shutting the door she went around to the back and pushed the pickup off the side of the road from where it had been parked and pushed it deep into the forest. It would be a long time before anyone found this now dead man. Without a door to prevent them animals would soon arrive to eat the body. He'd be pretty much a skeleton when he was discovered. Eventually he would be.

     Smiling, in a real good mood now, Ann hurried home.









© 2011 Tina Kline


Author's Note

Tina Kline
In memory of Ann on her birthday December 2, 2011. I miss you so very much.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ok, that is very creepy. A friend of mine has a birthday on the first of dec...Creepy...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina Kline

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
Another very enjoyable chapter in Ann's life.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The story is so good. I like the chapter. A little family time and not too much action. A entertaining story. I look forward to see where the story is going? A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really like seeing the vampire/predator side of Ann. Excellent chapter.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ann is a vampire and she needs to feed just like any other living creature. I really like this chapter. Awesome write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Excellent horror write. Nicely created. Vampires with cool looking wings are the coolest vampires. A great piece written for Ann on her Birthday. Excellent work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

334 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 3, 2011
Last Updated on December 3, 2011


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline