Lost In Alaska

Lost In Alaska

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

A complete Ann The Vampire story.

"

    Ann ventured a trip to Juneau, the state capitol of Alaska. It wasn’t long before Christmas and she wanted to purchase gifts for Tyler, her biological son and Justin, her unofficially adopted son and for her immortal companion, Eddie. It got dark very early in Alaska this time of year and Juneau was no different. She made her purchases and placed everything in a special bag she had brought with her that she could easily carry on her body on her long flight back home. Actually, since Ann was a vampire that trip would be very quick.

    She found a quick blood meal before taking off into the snowy Alaskan night and headed home to her two boys and Eddie. As she flew through the cold air the Aurora Borealis crackled and hissed in shifting curtain like formations around and above her. How beautiful, Ann thought.

    Seeing the aurora brought memories to her, memories from her human life she had been forced to leave behind. I haven’t had thoughts about my former human life before. She rose higher into the night sky now ablaze with the shifting curtains of red, purple, green and blue Northern Lights. She recalled now how her sister who had been eleven when she was born had loved the Northern Lights, had loved wolves and Alaska. Probably still does, Ann thought. Her sister who always wanted to go to Alaska and hear the wolves howl. I’m the one who ended up doing that, she thought as she shifted her bag of gifts to a more comfortable position on her body. Then Ann recalled how the same sister and another sister who was ten when she was born would play a game they called Lost In Alaska. They would go outside in the winter when it was dark and cold and sometimes foggy and wander around the block pretending they were lost in Alaska and trying to find their way back home.

    Lost in Alaska, Ann thought. She felt sort of lost since coming to Alaska so she could feel safe and create a safe home for Tyler and Justin. The Aurora Borealis continued shifting in the cosmic winds, its colors shifting and re-shifting. Its crackle and hiss of electricity was loud. I found a safe haven for us, she thought. A place where it is dark more than light, a place where there is plenty of blood food for me and Tyler and Justin can have sort of a normal life. Her two boys were lost in Alaska just as much as she was. Their life, Ann had to admit, was no where near normal. But they were loved and had a home. They had a lot of comforts and a lot of what kids their age enjoyed these days. If she had left them behind when she had woken from her death as a blood starved vampire they both would have had terrible lives.

    As Ann continued flying toward home beneath the Northern Lights she smiled. Their lives were not too bad. And they all had Eddie now. A good man the boys could look up to. Justin and Tyler had accepted she was a vampire and they both wanted to become vampires upon reaching adulthood.

    It was understood both boys would become vampires. They would be starting sort of a clan. A clan of vampires in Alaska. Ann was near home now. Carrying her bag of Christmas gifts she had just crossed the boundary into the small Alaskan town they all called home. Ann laughed at herself as she had a momentary whimsical vision of herself as Santa flying through the night sky bearing gifts for the town’s children. Except I’m not old looking, male and fat, nor do I have a sleigh with eight flying reindeer pulling me along in the icy cold night sky! She dropped down in the shadows within the shadows beside the apartment building they lived in. Ann dreamed of having her own home with her little family. And it would soon happen. With her bag of gifts she hurried up the snowy steps to their second floor apartment. She could hear Christmas music as she reached the door. She did not need to announce her presence for Eddie to know she was there. He flung the door open for her. His smile at seeing her was just as glad and happy as hers was at seeing him.

    “Mom!” cried Tyler from inside their apartment. “Look at what we’ve done!”

   Ann stepped inside as Eddie took the gift bag from her. “Wow!” she said looking around, her eyes sparkling with delight and pleasure at what she was seeing.

    The lights of the apartment were turned off but the whole place was ablaze with a riot of rainbow colors. Much like the Northern Lights, she thought. Twinkling lights and lights that didn’t wink on and off were everywhere. In the windows, draped in door ways and on a large decorated Christmas tree that was real, not fake. And there were lots of presents beneath the tree as well, Ann saw. She wasn’t the only one who had done Christmas shopping! Christmas decorations of all sorts were scattered about the house, some lit with their own festive lights, some not. Garland was hung along the walls near the ceiling, silver and blue and reflecting the lights in the room.

    “Beautiful!” Ann breathed.

    Tyler and Justin smiled proudly. “Glad you like it Mom.” said Justin. He hurried to her and hugged her fiercely. He was taller than she was now but he would always be her little boy. Tyler pushed his way in and hugged both of them.

    Setting the gift bag down Eddie put his big arms around all of them. “My family.” He said, his voice a little husky with emotion. Justin and Tyler echoed the words.

     “Let’s put these presents under the tree.” Ann said, wiping a few blood tears from her eyes.

    With them all laughing with their happiness they managed to find places for all the gifts Ann had gotten while in Juneau. They were all sort of lost in Alaska. Ann herself, Tyler and Justin. They were very lost when Ann had first arrived here with the two small boys in tow. Then Eddie had come along. They were still in Alaska, still lost. But now they had each other and a much better life than they all had had before.

    “Merry Christmas.” Ann said, looking at each of them in turn.

    “Merry Christmas Mom.” said Tyler.

    “Merry Christmas Mom.” Justin said.

    “Merry Christmas sweetheart.” Eddie said, taking Ann in his arms and giving her a demanding and possessive kiss.

    Tyler and Justin laughed and said, “Ew!”

    Eddie and Ann broke apart and laughed as well. Being lost in Alaska wasn’t so bad, Ann knew. Especially not if you’ve been found too.



© 2010 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love this chapter too! What a creative game Lost In Alaska. I loved being with her as she flew and imaginging herself being Santa Clause. Then of course the warm and cozy Christmas scene with the tree when she got home. Very fun and warm chapter to read. Warms the heart.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love this chapter too! What a creative game Lost In Alaska. I loved being with her as she flew and imaginging herself being Santa Clause. Then of course the warm and cozy Christmas scene with the tree when she got home. Very fun and warm chapter to read. Warms the heart.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this chapter. The internal thoughts of her sister was very good. I like her mind set in this story. She thinks with a old mind with many years of experience. The plan of the two boys to create their own clan could make the story a powerful tale.
A very strong chapter.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very nice addition to the story of Ann the Vampire.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a wonderful edition to this book, we gain more insights to Ann's former life and how important those in her life are to her are now.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

499 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 14, 2010
Last Updated on October 14, 2010


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..