Day 2

Day 2

A Chapter by Willem Gray

Day 2

It’s my birthday!

I am legally allowed to drink alcohol for the first time and, just as I suspected, it makes me a bit sad. I knew that this day could not possibly live up to my ridiculous expectations, however, I at least expected to be more excited about the fact that I would no longer have to break the law every Saturday night, but alas it was not meant to be. I feel exactly the same, and sadly, maybe even less excited about the prospect of deliberately destroying my liver.

You see, when you’re underage and going out, you feel an additional layer of excitement that trumps every other aspect of partying, you feel tense, anxious (yes, anxiety is not always as crap as I made it out to be yesterday, welcome to my indecisive and ever changing mind). This feeling of suspense, and the feeling of relief that follows, is addictive.                                    

Will he check my ID? Will they let me in if I dress this way? What will I do if I can’t get in?

Problems such as these stimulate the brain. It needs to plan ahead logistically and socially. In some cases the brain is forced to make hard decisions such as whether or not the risk is worth the social and narcotic reward, but now all of that is over, my brain will remain unstimulated in these cases and this bemuses me.

I know that it was illegal, and that this type of stimulation and problem solving wasn’t supposed to be experienced, but it allowed me to grow and develop into the socially acceptable specimen you see on Instagram today, and I’m sad that I will no longer experience the thrill of being legally a child.

That being said I’m nearly off to get drunk with my friends and I suppose there could be worse things to look forward to.   



© 2016 Willem Gray


Author's Note

Willem Gray
please review

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on November 6, 2015
Last Updated on March 27, 2016
Tags: birthday, youth, humour


Author

Willem Gray
Willem Gray

Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa



About
Hello! more..

Writing
Silicon Silicon

A Poem by Willem Gray