Freedom of speech

Freedom of speech

A Chapter by Willem Gray

Freedom of Speech

Should an old man be heckled and made fun of, for trying not to be racist? That’s what happened on The Daily Show. An older man was defending his town’s seal which depicted a rather chokey wrestling match between a native and their founder. The man made the enormous mistake of referring to the natives as “reds,” this resulted in the correspondent’s immediate glee as she now had this racist on camera. Then the man tried to explain that he had worked with Native Americans which she immediately ignored by nodding as if she were talking to a moron.

Then he really fucked up, because he then referred to the black woman as a slave piece of garbage! He didn’t though.

He referred, in an attempt to explain that he is not in fact a racist, to “her race” and even offered to refer to black people in any way she preferred. Cycling through all of the available options he stumbled across “negro.” O my f**k. She was f*****g pissed and the crowd gasped. Clearly this old man should be shot dead because he is a white racist scumfuck. The crowd laughed as she became quiet with disgust and the segment then continued.

This man is was old, and defenceless, and was thrust onto a minefield of political correctness. He clearly was not trying to be racist any old twat could see that. He probably isn’t even remotely racist. Why was he chastised then? Because he said some words which have gone out of fashion? Because he has some pretty peachy skin? I don’t know I just thought that she was disrespectful to an old man, who really tried to be polite, and just didn’t know exactly how to walk through the minefield.

Probably because very few people expected him to during his life. Most people don’t care what they are called unless it actively contributes to them having fewer human rights. This is what racism,sexism and many other social issues entail. The deprivation of a certain group's equal human rights.

Not being offended by anyone is not a right. I therefore do not like when non-racist people are chastised for having said something that might be construed as a bit iffy.

This is why I tend to lean right on some social issues like this whole war on free speech. In a recent video by a libertarian the excellent point was raised that no social justice would have progressed had it not been for the right to offend a certain group of people who enforce it.

Far left liberals seem to have changed the game in the sense that now a conflict has to be addressed without anyone partaking in conflict. That is not possible. I am of the opinion that any sentence which does not devalue or take away a person’s equal rights should be okay to say. Without different and opposing points of view being heard an pondered how is society supposed to progress?

That old man did not take away anybody’s rights. He was trying to raise certain points that add to a discussion, and has every right to do so.



© 2016 Willem Gray


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
Added on May 28, 2016
Last Updated on May 28, 2016
Tags: Politics


Author

Willem Gray
Willem Gray

Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa



About
Hello! more..

Writing
Silicon Silicon

A Poem by Willem Gray