Day 15

Day 15

A Chapter by Willem Gray

Day 15

I know the whole “day x” title theme is pointless and a bit wrong, since I skip days and I don’t often write about what happened on the particular day, however I have decided that I am a rebel without a cause and I am going to stick to my guns.

While we are considering causes I can finally address the title of my book. “Memoirs of a Millennial.”

(While writing this I also realise that I have misspelt the word “millennial” up to this point. Which means that there are some people who rightly believe that I am a total twerp, but from now on it should be less obvious since I quickly fixed it.)

Millennials are the next generation of humans who will inevitably inherit the earth, and it seems as though everyone believes that all of us are exactly the same. “Millennials will do anything for a cause” I heard my friend’s aunt say. Bullshit! I am a millenial by definition and I don’t enjoy fanatics who fight for things just to fight for things, many people my age don’t either. We are not saying f**k all causes. We just believe in different things and are not actively searching for something to fight for just yet.

Not only that, but it is also a fact that almost everyone on the news, and on Youtube, says that millenials are part of the tech age where no-one wants to go outside and speak with each other anymore, instead we are depicted as “glued to our phones and laptops.” Entertainment is changing. Yes I spend a lot of time online researching, entertaining myself and chatting to my friends, but it does not change the fact that I would much rather spend quality time with my friends at a bar, playing some pool, and awkwardly looking at pretty girls who think I am ugly. Many people in my generation agree with me and many disagree, it’s called diversity.

So if you are trying to put people in a box and label it according to generation, race, sex, religion etcetera, you will end up with boxes of very different and diverse people who share only one aspect.

We all, however, share our basic human instincts, so let’s save some money and buy one box. We’ll call it “humanity.”

 



© 2016 Willem Gray


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
Added on January 4, 2016
Last Updated on March 27, 2016
Tags: millennials, stereotypes, humanity


Author

Willem Gray
Willem Gray

Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa



About
Hello! more..

Writing
Silicon Silicon

A Poem by Willem Gray