Day 3

Day 3

A Chapter by Willem Gray

Day 3

Have I mentioned that I am in the middle of my matric final exam? No? Oops.

I would be better off if I were busy studying right now, but you know what? Studying is difficult, very difficult indeed, and I’m smart, I really am. I doubt this piece of writing will ever leave my (now fully functioning) laptop, but if it does let me tell you this much: South African schools don’t give you credit for showing up, they don’t give credit for participation either. They don’t mark using a grading curve until the very last exam in your school career, this one. So if I say that I have averaged 80 percent since the fourth grade with very little to no effort whatsoever, that is f*****g astonishing and I should be knighted and allowed to marry your sister.

 Still I should be studying, you know, to reach my “full potential.” What does that even mean? If human potential is as endless as every motivational video clip has stated then trying to reach your full potential is a futile exercise. I do, however, learn to best of my ability, right now I feel kak so I’m going to scan every page in my book, bullshit myself by saying the test is going to be easier than doing a poo and then I’m going to get in bed. That is what I’m going to do and that is all I am capable of doing at the moment, therefore if the teacher asks if studied I am going to say: “Yes, you arse.”

You’re wasting your potential, Willem! I disagree, we are all trying our best, every day, and your performance in school does not change that. If you need 95 percent in school to go study medicine and you get 98, great. If you tried your best, but unlike the other person you have depression, anxiety, a less than genius level IQ and you failed, that is not your fault. If you went to school every day only to understand nothing and be called lazy for not doing your homework, or you weren’t feeling well and you had other things on your mind, like sleep, that’s okay too. 

Being alive is difficult, very difficult, have you seen how many bones and organs and things work hard every day just to keep you going. Your Brain is controlling all of that, and that’s bloody impressive. So if you can stay alive and keep sane in this unbalanced, overpopulated and downright crazy world I am sure that you are handling the rest of your activities to the best of your ability. Don’t let other people tell you what your potential is or what you are capable of, I’m sure you will figure it out.

As for me, I'm off to study gravity, or space, or Newton's apples, who cares.



© 2016 Willem Gray


Author's Note

Willem Gray
please review

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
Added on November 6, 2015
Last Updated on March 27, 2016
Tags: youth, motivation, potential


Author

Willem Gray
Willem Gray

Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa



About
Hello! more..

Writing
Silicon Silicon

A Poem by Willem Gray