Average Girl

Average Girl

A Chapter by WriterGirl101

I’m running for my life. It’s not the first time. Death is behind me as I get cornered. The sky is pitch-black and the thousands of trees surrounding me offer me no way out. A large, long, weather worn brick wall now blocks my way. My heart beat accelerates as Death reaches for me. His bony hand caresses my cheek. It is dry and scaly, like dead snake skin. “Come to me. You are mine,” his voice calls out. It sounds like wind rustling leaves or sand paper rubbing together to form words.


“Who are you,” I call out.


“You know me, Rose. You are mine, my blood; my flesh. I am your father.”


            And then I wake up. Three weeks ago I started being haunted by this strange dream. Death would run after me, claim to be my father, and then I’d wake up. I told my mother after about three nights of it, and she called me crazy. My father died about eight or nine years ago in a car accident.


Let me introduce myself. My name is Rosaline Anne O’Riley and I am an 18 year old Christian/goth. I have bright red hair from my mother’s Irish heritage and gray/blue eyes from my father who was German. My father grew up as Wicca but when he met my mother he was converted to Christian, but both my parents supported whatever religion we chose to be. They never forced one on us and my father was the only other person in my family who was gothic. I’m 100% positive that I got it from him. I have a younger sister named Ashley who is sixteen. She is the rebel of the family and chooses to be non-religious. So...anyways, back to the story.


            Getting out of bed, I get ready for school. I put on a black shirt AC/DC shirt, my ripped jeans, and my knee-length combat boots. I then braid my hair and grabbed my back pack to head down stairs.

“Good morning Mom,” I call to her from our living room. My sis emerges from her room in a pink, floral dress with high heels. Her blonde hair is tied up in a simple but perfect pony tail and her nails are painted different shades of pink. She’s like the poster child for preppy students.

“Good morning, dear! Breakfast is ready, if you want some,” mom calls from the kitchen.


            Following her voice, I grabbed a piece of toast and leaned against the gray marble counter. “I’d love to eat more but I am late. Love you,” I tell her. “Ash, if you’re riding with me then come on!”


            “Bye sweetheart. Tell those boyfriends of yours to come over tonight. I’ve got someone coming over that I want everyone to meet,” she calls out as we leave.

_____


            We usually get to school half an hour early because my school is just a couple blocks from home, and I drive my black hearse every day, but today I woke up late, and I only had ten minutes left. Luckily, my friends are still waiting by the gate to greet me. Ashley and I separate the minute we arrive and I run to my boyfriend and hug him.


            “Hey beautiful, why are you so late? I was worried,” My boyfriend asks, pulling me into a hug.


My boyfriend, Michael, is 6’ with black hair and blue eyes. He’s not buff but he’s not skinny either; kind of in between. He is a football player and a grade ‘A’ student. He’s the perfect boyfriend a girl could ask for, and even agreed to play football for the college I’m applying to so we can stay together.


            “I woke up late,” I answer him and nod to my best friend, Charlotte. “By the way, mom wants you to come over tonight.”


            “I’d love to. What is the occasion this time?” He asked.


“She says she has someone she wants everyone in the family to meet.”


“Oh okay...any idea who it is?”'


“Yeah, some new woman my mom wants to date. Mom met her in the restaurant she works at, and they made a real connection. She told her about our family, and mom asked her to meet us. And mom wants you there, because she considers you a part of the family,” I explain.  


Michael laughed. “That’s awesome. You know I’ll be there.”


“Awesome; so Charlotte, what’s up,” I ask, turning to my friend.


Charlotte and I have been close friends since elementary school. She was the only African American in our class at the time so she always got bullied by some of the meaner boys, so I defended her and we became close friends.


“Nothing really; I’m still forever alone while you two gloat about your love,” she sighs playfully.


 “Well, I can share,” I wink at her, which causes her to choke on her drink and Michael to snort.


            Eventually the bell rings for us to go to class so we separated, Michael and I went left while Charlotte went right. Michael and I had our first class period so he followed me. Of course, Mrs. Engelmann wasn’t in class, so we were stuck with her stuck-up substitute Mr. Hawthorne whom is a black guy and seriously racist. The old man and I have lots of bad blood between us. I settled into my seat next to Michael and we started taking out our notes and chatting.


“Alright class,” Mr. H. starts, “the test is today and Mrs. Engelmann will not be here due to a family emergency; you have twenty minutes to study before we begin.”


            After a few minutes, I stop studying because I know almost everything perfectly. Instead I whisper quietly to Michael. “So, you are still coming to my party next weekend, right,” I ask him.


            “Of course, love. I wouldn’t miss it for the world,” he smiles.


            “Don’t forget that the theme is costume party since my birthday is so close to Halloween. Everyone I know is coming. Even people I don’t talk to very much. It’ll be super fun.”


            “I know. We’re still having it at the Werehouse, right,” he asks.


            We have a run-down building that lots of people use for social gatherings. Everyone in town calls it Werehouse because of the local legend there. It’s said that the previous owner’s son turned into a werewolf, and slaughtered the whole family. Of course, we all know that the guy just went insane. He killed his family after escaping the asylum and then got shot down by police when he began tearing up the town.


            “Yes, it is still at the Werehouse.” I smiled at him.


             “Jackson, Morde, why are we talkin,” Mr. H. Calls out. Wincing, I look around and see others talking even louder than us, but I also see that it’s Meagan and her posse. Part of the rich neighborhood Mr. H. is in.

“I’m sorry Mr. Hawthorne. I didn’t know I was bothering anyone.” I answer with false innocence.


“You very much were indeed; please quiet it down.


“I’m sorry but other people were talking much louder than I was, sir. I don’t think it’s fair to call out one person and not others. Or is someone still paying you for favors?”


            It’s safe to say that it was hilarious to watch his while everyone else laughed.


            So, last year a rumor went out that H. promised to keep Meagan out of trouble if she slept with him every week on Fridays after school. She was getting in so much trouble, that her parents threatened to send her to a camp for a year, so she took the offer. The two both denied it, and because there was no true evidence found, H. was let off with a warning. He would’ve been fired but he won in a court hearing and the school had no choice but to keep him.


His face turns a bright red, almost purple shade, and his eyes bulge in anger.


 “Go to the principals! Right now; you freak! You as well, Jackson,” he shouts at us.

                        We gather our things and left, and I flip him off on the way out and laugh. The short trip to the office was filled with me complaining and Michael rubbing my arm in hopes of soothing me a bit. We arrived at the office and I enter.


 “Rose, why are you here,” chimed our receptionist lady, Mrs. Verbaline. 


“Mr. Hawthorne is here,” I tell her.


“Ah, Coach C. is in now if you wish to go in,” she informs.


“Is Principal Perry in,” I ask her.


“Not at the moment but I can call him up here,” She answers and pushes a button on her phone, and calls him out, telling him the situation.


 He gives me one look and nods knowingly. “Hello Rose. What happened?”


“Hawthorne is subbing and I was disrupting the class,” I answer sarcastically.


“I understand,”


            Hawthorne sends me here almost every time he comes to sub, and I don’t get in trouble with anyone else, so I don’t even have to explain myself. But I know I’ll still be in trouble for my comment....... Oh well, Principal P. likes me, so it won’t be too bad. Plus he and H. practically hate each other, so, yeah, there’s that too.


            “Apparently I was louder that the rest of the class. Plus, I also kind of insulted him.....” I said.


“Insulted, how?” He asks. I tell him the entire story, from beginning to end, including the fact that he called me a freak as we left.


            “You’re not in trouble,” he states.


“What, why,” I ask, astonished.


“He deserved it, one, and two he shouldn’t have insulted you. I’ll go to the board and talk about this as well. Teachers, even subs, are not allowed to talk to students that way. You’re free to stay here until that class is over.” 

“Thank you, Perry, but we should be getting back,” I smile, appreciatively. .

            Okay, so, Perry is a new principal, and he is only 20 years old. He went to military camp when he was 17, after graduating early, and immediately became a principal when he turned 20. I am 18, so it is no secret at all that he has a huge crush on me, which is why he is always taking up for me and my friends. He is super cute, with short-ish black hair, and beautiful, bright blue eyes, but I am with Michael so, even if I could date him, I wouldn’t.


            “Yes, yes, of course. I will see you guys soon.” He turned and walked out of the receptionist area. I felt kinda bad for the man...


            “Bye young Rose. You stay outta trouble, alright?” Mrs. Verb called out.


 “Yes ma’am.”

____

            Later that day, Michael followed me home in his truck and met me at our door. We walked in and began helping mom clean up and get supper ready. She was in a pale, blue dress that fit her slim body well. I dressed in a grey top and a black skirt with a slit up the left side, and got one of my dad’s suits for Michael to wear. Ashley wears a nice dress, pink dress, and did up her hair in a bun.


Mom’s new girlfriend came over shortly after.


            “Guys, meet Angela.” Mom called out from the doorway. She steps aside and a beautiful woman, about mom’s age, walks into the room. She has long flowing black hair, all natural, and she was perfectly tan, again natural. I believe she may be Indian. “Hello everyone, it’s nice to meet you. I’ve heard so much about you all.” She greeted.


            We had a nice talk heard a lot of things about her, she asked about us, etc. She seemed like a great person. She’s Christian and she confirmed my suspicions, she’s full Cherokee. She talked about her job as a journalist. We stayed up long past 12 A.M before we called it quits and Angela left.


A little while later we all went to bed. Michael called his mom and asked if he could stay over. We both promised our parents that we’d behave. My mother knows we always sleep in the same room, though we don’t do anything yet.


            That night I had the same dream.

 



© 2016 WriterGirl101


Author's Note

WriterGirl101
Ahhhh!!!!! I finally got around to editing it because I am out of idea's for High School at the moment. It still kinda sucks but I promise it's a lot better now. :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Critique: (grabbed my back pack to head down stairs) backpack to head downstairs
(a simple but perfect pony tail) ponytail
(Mr. Hawthorne whom) who
(He is super cute, with short-ish) shortish
(I dressed in a grey top) gray

Review: I like the story idea and plot line I also like your included personal character histories, it is a good way to develop them without needing to do a sideline story. Your dialog is a little stiff in the way some of it is worded example of this; "“Yeah, some new woman my mom wants to date. Mom met her in the restaurant she works at, and they made a real connection" this sounds like someone much older speaking. Have someone read this out loud to you so you can hear it, also "our receptionist lady, Mrs. Verbaline" no need to state the obvious "our receptionist, Mrs. Verbaline". Still, an interesting read that people should enjoy reading Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WriterGirl101

7 Years Ago

Thanks so much. I will go back and fix asap. :)



Reviews

Critique: (grabbed my back pack to head down stairs) backpack to head downstairs
(a simple but perfect pony tail) ponytail
(Mr. Hawthorne whom) who
(He is super cute, with short-ish) shortish
(I dressed in a grey top) gray

Review: I like the story idea and plot line I also like your included personal character histories, it is a good way to develop them without needing to do a sideline story. Your dialog is a little stiff in the way some of it is worded example of this; "“Yeah, some new woman my mom wants to date. Mom met her in the restaurant she works at, and they made a real connection" this sounds like someone much older speaking. Have someone read this out loud to you so you can hear it, also "our receptionist lady, Mrs. Verbaline" no need to state the obvious "our receptionist, Mrs. Verbaline". Still, an interesting read that people should enjoy reading Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WriterGirl101

7 Years Ago

Thanks so much. I will go back and fix asap. :)
I will work on editing the rest when I am not working on High School. :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


I really enjoyed reading this and will do my best to read more. As far as a chapter goes, it is not very long. The only reason it seems longer is because of the font size. The only thing I can suggest is to put commas in places such as "Morning, mom." or "Hey, beautiful" but overall that is only if you're nit-picky. Keep up the good work!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WriterGirl101

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much. I'll definitely keep that in mind. :)
That's really good :) I want to keep on reading it. Please continue the great work :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WriterGirl101

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much. I am currently working on the next chapter of my first book, but I'll start this .. read more
KittyKatgirl

8 Years Ago

Ok please message me when you have done the next chapter. I can't wait to read it.
So, that paragraph where she's inviting him over for dinner, I would separate it into a new line every time somebody speaks. Then it's a little easier to follow with who's speaking. Most of the other mistakes are minor - grammatical errors, choppy sentences at first. Just little things. Personally, I like long chapters - I just have to find the time to read them. XD

This was a nice chapter. I can't to see what else is going on in this book! :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


WriterGirl101

8 Years Ago

Yeah, thanks. I noticed those too, and I mean to fix them when I can... :)
Silent Wolf

8 Years Ago

^-^ Yeah, I posted this before I noticed your comment...
WriterGirl101

8 Years Ago

Lol, it's cool..... ^____^
I see a few mistakes I made, I will go back and correct them later.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

226 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 16, 2015
Last Updated on August 30, 2016


Author

WriterGirl101
WriterGirl101

Fitzgerald, GA



About
My name is Sam, I enjoy to write and read, I love anime and Supernatural. I am a total nerd. My dreams are to become a published author and to visit Ireland. My biggest fears are being completely alon.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by WriterGirl101


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by WriterGirl101