Hello Juliet-Prologue

Hello Juliet-Prologue

A Chapter by Tori

"Devon, hurry up! We'll miss the whole damn thing!"
"I'm right here, retard! What time does this thing start, anyway?" 
I received no reply. Instead, I was graced with a hard thump on the back of the head followed by Brain's obnoxious snort. I ignored the gesture and followed the chattering sea of people into the auditorium. It was packed. I glanced at a poster on my way in through the large double doors. On it was a picture of a boy and girl smelling a rose and holding hands. "Romeo x Juliet" was written in fancy golden font across the bottom. 
I rolled my eyes and shoved my hands in my pockets, wrapping my fingers around my mom's cell phone. She gave it to me before I left so I could call her once the show was over. I didn't have one of my own. Mom said I was too young, that maybe I could get one in high school. High school…only 2 years away. Once I completed 6th grade, I would be moving into the 9th grade. My first High School experience. New people, new opportunities, and mostly…new girls.
"Hey Devon! Back here!" 
I looked up and raised an eyebrow at the short kid in the corner. He was waving his hand frantically, trying his hardest to be seen above the taller objects in his way. I rolled my eyes yet again and smoothly made my way through the crowd. Letting out a sigh, I plopped down on the floor beside my friend. 
"Brian," I groaned. "Remind me again why you drug me here?"
"Because I love Romeo and Juliet. It's like, my favorite play movie thing." His eyes sparkled as he spoke. I looked at him with a straight face.
"Dude. I think you're a fudge packer."
"A what?"
"A f*g."
He stuck out his tongue at me and made a strange face. "Whatever d********g!"
I grinned. "Point, encased!"
He flicked me off and returned his attention to the stage. I hadn't realized it, but the lights had dimmed and the room had fallen silent. A sudden spotlight illuminated the stage. In it's center, a tall, balding man in a dark blue suit was fidgeting with a microphone. A loud, high pitched screech filled the air. Cries of pain and surprise erupted into the air. However, they were quickly silenced by the amplified voice of the man on stage.
"Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I apologize for that little disturbance and the wait as well. Our drama department has been working hard these last few months to make a classic tragedy come to life! We hope you enjoy the show. Now, Ritchie County Middle School proudly presents….Romeo and Juliet!"
The crowd gave a round of modest applause as the man walked off the stage. The single spotlight that had signified his presence shut off. In response, the entire stage became bright and ambushed by lights. 
"This is gonna be so ga-"
"SHHH!!" I was interrupted by Brian's frantic squeals. "It's STARTING! Eep!"
I sighed and leaned back against the wall. This was so stupid. There were so many different ways I could be spending my weekend. Well…perhaps not. But anything was better than this. 
I became so deeply absorbed in my thoughts, I hadn't realized it was already half way through the play. I decided I'd pay attention for once. It would be over soon, and I had run out of things to think about. I focused on the stage, trying to figure out what in the hell was going on. 
There was massive cardboard balcony, which had been painted white, on the edge of the stage. Though not meant to be visible, I could notice a large wooden platform centered behind the balcony, obviously meant for someone to stand on. Across from the balcony was a clump of plastic bushes. I leaned in closer as something emerged from them. It was a guy.
"What light through yonder window breaks?" he exclaimed. He was in blue tights and a long flowing blue shirt.  I assumed he was Romeo. 
"It is the East! And Juliet…is the sun!"
And that was when I first saw her. Her hair was long and wavy, light brown. Like a beautiful chocolate river. Her face was pale but her lips and cheeks were like roses. Her eyes…oh her eyes. They were like clear blue pools of water framed by long dark eyelashes. She wore a red dress which amplified her delicate features. A white beaded crown hung from her head, finishing off the angelic appearance. God. Such perfection…all the beauty of the world, blended and soaked into one girl. 
I hadn't realized but I was now standing, my body moving itself near the stage. I had no control over it. I wasn't really objecting though. At that moment, I'd give anything to be closer to her. I noticed her perfect lips begin to part. 
"Aye, me!" she sighed dishearteningly, propping her elbows on the edge of the balcony. 
"She speaks!" Romeo declared. Coincidentally, at the same time as Romeo, I had said "She's talking!" without realizing it. 
"Oh Romeo! Romeo! Where for art thou Romeo?" she cried. God. That pained look on her face…it killed me. 
I noticed her supposed "Romeo" sat there in the bushes, watching her. 
"She's hurt, you b*****d! Go to her!" I growled. I knew he couldn't hear me. No one could. I watched her every movement with fascination and pain. Her beauty was unearthly. Her pain was too real for me. I knew it was a lie, but nonetheless…her pain made me hurt. I wished more than anything I could house that burden for her. 
For the remainder of the play, I watched her. Marveled at her. Worshipped her. The play soon ended with her lying dead on the floor. I felt the tears stinging my eyes. I quickly wiped them away, embarrassed someone might see.
The curtains quickly closed, followed by a loud uproar of applause. I couldn't waste time clapping. I had to find her. I jumped on the stage and ran towards the drama room. However, I was quickly escorted out of the auditorium by the schools police officer. 
I sat there in the cold night, waiting for Brian to return so we could go home. As I waited I heard shouts coming from the walkway in the front of the building. I looked up. There she was. Not even 50 yards from me. So beautiful.
By some strange impulse, I screamed "JULIET! WAIT!"
She hadn't heard me. She ran to a car in the parking lot and got in. I watched her drive away. There she went. My only love. Juliet.


© 2011 Tori


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A STORY LIKE THIS ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Well written.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Awww.... Its so sweet.... Good job buddy. :D

Posted 13 Years Ago


Hi Tori, I enjoyed reading what I assume is that start of Runaway Romeo. The piece was easy to read, it flowed smoothly. I think the part of Devon that was shared with the reader at this point was beautiful, I have a soft spot for this seemingly sensitive little boy. The dialogue between the characters seems realistic, their voices can really be heard, and the little conversation between Devon and Brian gave the reader insight and understanding of the relationship the boys have. The descriptions of the surroundings and Juliet's appearance seem to be bordering on telling as opposed to showing, and seem to slow down the momentum of the reading, but only slightly. Also I'm in Australia, and here we go from sixth grade (primary school) to year seven (high school), in the piece Devon mentions going from 6th to 9th grade, is there no 7th or 8th in the country his in?! I'm interested in reading the next chapter, mostly because of my intrigue with this Devon character, I hope my adoration for him continues to grow as I keep reading.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 17, 2011
Last Updated on January 20, 2011


Author

Tori
Tori

A little town where the dead come out to play, GA



About
Don't click here! Alright, Hello Everybody! Um I love to read, write, and draw and I hope to become a artist or graphic designer. I also Hope to become and Author and open my own Tattoo Parlor one.. more..

Writing
Mary Jane Mary Jane

A Poem by Tori