Liar, Liar

Liar, Liar

A Chapter by Tori

       Lies. There was no way he could be telling the truth. No. He was lying. He couldn’t have really…but why…why did he look so…so…certain? So sure of himself that he had truly killed Draco. I refused to believe him but that same something inside me that had kept me alive this long screamed that it was true.  But I just couldn’t process it…this beautiful, terrified being before harming someone…

Did I just call him beautiful? Don’t be stupid. He could be a killer. Whether or not he truly had slain someone, I couldn’t deny the fact that he was very attractive. He had such a strong, intoxicating jaw that matched well with a nice set of muscular yet lean shoulders. Much like Dusty, I had always seen him as indestructible. Though I didn’t know this boy personally, in what little time I had, he seemed…well…10 feet tall and bulletproof. But now he stood before, shaking like a cold dog with teary eyes and blood-red hands.

“You’re…you’re serious?” I choked, barely managing to force the words from my numbed throat. He nodded solemnly. I wasn’t sure why, but that single, guilty nod was all it took to snap the final cord of doubt I had clung to so desperately. Romeo had killed Draco.

“But…but the police! They said it was…” I couldn’t bare to so those words aloud, even knowing that they were false.

He shook his head. “That’s what I want them to think.”

“Oh my God…” I collapsed to the ground, trying hard to take in those words. “You…you killed him…you killed him…why?”

Romeo kept his mouth shut tight, turning his eyes from mine.

“Why?” I repeated. Still, no answer. Frustration and fear overwhelmed me. What if he killed me? Should I run? No…I was worthless…he would be doing the world a favor by killing me. Maybe I could ask him too…but that would be rude and inconsiderate…I wouldn’t do that. But if he did try to kill me, I wouldn’t fight back.

Then a new realization hit me. One that I was rather surprised for thinking of…

“You have to run,” I stated calmly.

“What?” he questioned, raising an eyebrow at me.

“You can’t go to jail. You have to run…once they found out…you’re life will be over.”

He stared at me, astonished at my words. To be honest, I was pretty damn dumbfounded myself. What was I saying? Every ounce of common sense I had told me he needed to turn himself in. But…the idea of him rotting in prison along with countless serial killers and rapists hurt my heart. He was a good person who didn’t deserve that…even if he had killed another person. I knew he didn’t kill Draco just to kill him. Romeo wasn’t that kind of guy. But even so, I couldn’t think of a single logical explanation as to why he would.

He stared at me for awhile, as if he was also trying to process the situation. Finally, he nodded. “You’re right…but where should I go? Where can I run? What will I do for food? Once they find out it wasn’t suicide it won’t take ‘em long to discover it was me.”

“I…I don’t know. How long do you think it will take them to find out it wasn’t suicide?” God it hurt to say that word…

He shrugged. “One or two day’s maybe. At tops.”

“Then we don’t have long…follow me.” I jumped to my feet and began leading him through the forest. He was still numbed by the shock of murdering someone, making him as vulnerable and meek as a toddler. He didn’t put up a physical fight, but he did argue.

“Where are you taking me?” he cried.

“My house. I’m going to get you some food and clothes so you’ll be ready to leave tomorrow. Tonight, you’ll go back to the clearing and sleep. Lie low and then an hour or so before sunrise, run like hell. Don’t stop until you’re so far away that…” I stopped, thinking back to my words earlier.

“So far away that…?”

I closed my eyes and spoke my next words with true meaning. “That you come to a place that’s never even heard of West Virginia…”

He didn’t respond. Instead, he followed me mindlessly through the thick forest and across the street to my home. We snuck around back and climbed through my second story window. There was a tree growing right behind the house that made the perfect ladder.

“Wait here,” I told him, sitting him down on my bed. Don’t make a sound.”

I darted from the room and tip toed down the hall. Dad and Mom weren’t here…but Dusty was.

“Dusty?” I called downstairs. I heard the TV mute and the obnoxious clanking of dishes and beer cans. I couldn’t help but smile as his large eyes peered around the corner, staring like a deer caught in headlights.

“Jade?”

“Hey, bro.”

He bolted around the corner and stumbled up the stairs, his face red with anger and relief.

“Where the f**k have you been?”

“It’s a long story. But I need your help. Come on,” I said quietly, leading him towards my room.

“Alright, don’t freak, but we’ve got a major situation and you’re the only one who can help. Ok?”

He tousled his red hair and sighed. He had to get me out of many jams before, never one as bad as this. He had no idea what was coming…

“Alright. Lay it on me.”

I opened the door, revealing a very confused and dazed Romeo. He stared at my brother and gave a faint smile. “It’s nice to see you again.”

“What the hell is he doing here?” Dusty demanded. I took in a deep breath and told him everything.

When I finished explaining the problem, Dusty laughed. And laughed. And laughed. It was definitely NOT the reaction I was expecting.

“You don’t believe me?” I cried.

“of course I do,” he said seriously. I wasn’t sure how, but he completely silence his laughs. “I just could have sworn this would happen…only I’d be asking you for help.”

“So…you’ll help him?”

He sighed then looked at Romeo.

“I hate your guts…but because Jade is asking, I’ll do it.”

I wrapped my arms around his neck in a massive bear hug. “Thank you so much, Dusty!”

He shrugged. “Eh. What are big bros for?”



© 2011 Tori


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on March 28, 2011
Last Updated on March 28, 2011


Author

Tori
Tori

A little town where the dead come out to play, GA



About
Don't click here! Alright, Hello Everybody! Um I love to read, write, and draw and I hope to become a artist or graphic designer. I also Hope to become and Author and open my own Tattoo Parlor one.. more..

Writing
Mary Jane Mary Jane

A Poem by Tori