Jade Turtles

Jade Turtles

A Chapter by Tori
"

burnt chicken and jade turtles

"

“Thank you Mrs. Archer! That was delicious.”

                The fair-skinned middle age woman smiled at me, exceptionally pleased at the compliment. By the burnt edges on the chicken I could tell she didn’t cook much, but I still savored every bite. Ever since I could remember, my mom never cooked. Especially not meat. She was a hardcore Vegan, refusing to eat even eggs or drink milk or anything of that nature. Dusty and I had survived on fast food and sandwiches.

                “Yeah Mom. The burnt chicken just melted in my mouth,” the dark haired boy across from me laughed. He was so handsome. I didn’t know why I hadn’t ever seen it before. And, not only that, but he was somehow familiar. I know I had seen him before…but I couldn’t remember.

                “Oh shut up! I’d like to see you do better,” she replied elatedly. I laughed at their way of things. They were so strange…but I loved it. The little brunette girl who was sitting beside me dropped her fork into her plate and crawled into my lap, ruffling Mrs. Archer’s dress. I squirmed uncomfortably beneath the itchy blue material. It was a beautiful dress and all, but it wasn’t really my style. Just shut up and be grateful, Jade. Or Elissa…or…who am I?

                At the clearing, he kept calling me Elissa, and even here, he’s got his sister and his mother calling me that. It was strange and confusing. My own brother didn’t even call me that. Dusty, along with everyone else, including the teachers and the local church preacher called me Jade. I had adopted the name many years back due to my fascination with Jade-Turtles my aunt brought back from China. Each year she would visit us from a new place somewhere in the world. She would always bring me and Dusty back something special. However, once she had seen the excitement and joy on my face at receiving the jade turtle, she limited her trips to parts of Asia, that way she would have an excuse to bring me more tiny turtles.

                “You’re very pretty!” the tiny girl giggled, placing her palms on my shoulders. I felt my face begin to burn as I mumbled a small ‘thanks’. I watched her cast a sly glance at her brother, then turn back to me and say, loudly but calmly, “Debbie told me he thinks you’re real pretty too!”

                My burning cheeks ignited into a raging flame. I didn’t have to look in a mirror to know how red I was. The worse part was that his face was also red as he stuttered to tell the girl to shut up. I wanted to believe the girl was just doing it out of spite to annoy her brother, but his reaction made me reconsider that theory. We all sat in awkward silence…well…all except Mrs. Archer. She was clutching her sides and laughing like a maniac.

                “Shut up, Dork,” Romeo finally choked out. Standing abruptly from his seat, he grabbed his plate and shoved in the dish washer. “That was good Mom, thanks.” I was still sitting there when I heard his bedroom door slam shut.

                “Oh my heavens!” Mrs. Archer exclaimed, tears pouring from her crystal blue eyes. “That was hilarious! Good job, Katie-May!”

                The little girl giggled and jumped down from my lap, rushing her dishes over to the sink. “Mommy! Don’t forget you gotta take me to Stacey’s house tonight so I can get my coat!”

                “Oh s**t! That’s right! Sweetheart…I have to do the dishes…” she paused for a moment then laughed. “Wow, never thought I’d say that…anyway, we’ll go tomorrow, ok?”

                Kate looked up at her with crushed eyes and a pouting lower lip. “But…you said we’d go get it tonight! It’s only eight thirty! Please?”

                “I’ll do the dishes. I don’t mind. It’s the least I could do,” I offered. She had been kind enough to allow me into her home and to wear her clothes…I could at least do the honorable thing and help out in anyway necessary, and since I couldn’t drive…well, here come the dishes.  

                Mrs. Archer looked me over for a minute that smiled. “Oh thank you, sweetheart! I’m so sorry, it’s just that Katie-May forgot her jacket at her friend’s house and she really needs it for school. I’m so sorry. Thank you so very much!”

                “It’s no problem at all. I’d feel awful I didn’t do anything,” I replied as she rushed towards the door. There weren’t that many dishes, so it shouldn’t be too hard. I allowed the sink water to heat up while I searched for a towel.

                “They are in the cabinet closest to the fridge!” Mrs. Archer called. I returned my thank you and opened the cabinet. Sure enough, there they were. “Oh and, Elissa?”

                I poked my head around the corner so I could see her. “Yes?”

                She smiled, pointed upstairs to Romeo’s room and gave me a small wink. “I have one more job for you. Do try to talk to him. I have feeling you’re the only one he’ll listen to.”



© 2011 Tori


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on March 15, 2011
Last Updated on March 15, 2011


Author

Tori
Tori

A little town where the dead come out to play, GA



About
Don't click here! Alright, Hello Everybody! Um I love to read, write, and draw and I hope to become a artist or graphic designer. I also Hope to become and Author and open my own Tattoo Parlor one.. more..

Writing
Mary Jane Mary Jane

A Poem by Tori