13. BROKEN GLASS

13. BROKEN GLASS

A Chapter by alison13

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
13. Broken Glass
 
     WE REACH THE AIRPORT BY ELEVEN. I FEEL DIZZY WHEN I WOKE up and I can see that Adam feels the same too.
     “You two okay?” Shane asked.
     “Fine…” I said weariness in my voice.
     “There she is…” Adam gestured as we go out.
     “Where?”
     “Hey Adam, Shane and Alyson, nice seeing you again, how’s my Nate?” Kyla said suddenly approaching us. There are a few changes since I last saw her. From a brunette she became a red-headed, she became a little skinnier though she’s still pretty.
     “Well c’mon… we’ll head to the hospital…”
     “Okay…”
     “Adam?” I heard a woman said from behind. They look around and I followed. I look at Adam’s expression and it’s as if he saw a ghost.
     “God, this will be trouble…” I heard Shane murmured.
     “Adam, don’t you remember me?” she run toward him and hugged him.
     “Stephanie?” Adam mumbled.
     The second I heard him say her name, it as if the world
 
 
♦167♦
 
 
suddenly freezes in front of me. Stephanie. There’s only one Stephanie I remembered Adam told me. Stephanie Lively. It’s like I’ve been showered by broken glass.
     “Um, maybe we should go inside the car now…” Shane said. He and Kyla went in the car but as if my feet are glued to the floor. I can’t move.
     “What are you doing here?” Adam asked bewildered.
     “Don’t you want me here? My ex-husband and his family died on a plane crash, so now we’re free!” she explained.
     “No we’re not… we can’t be together anymore and ever… I already have a girlfriend…”
     “What? Who is that f*****g girl?” as soon as she said that it’s like I just want to attack her.
     “Here she is…” he gestured to me.
     I gave her a meaningful look.
     She raised her one eyebrow, and I can see she’s really a nasty girl, different from Adam’s descriptions.
     I just did the same to her.
     “How could you do that Adam? You said you’ll wait for me…”
     “I never did say that! C’mon Stef, it’s been three years! We need to move on, you need to move on…I’m sorry, we need to go now, nice seeing you again,” he took my hand and opened the car door for me, I can see that Shane and Kyla were listening to their quick conversation.
     “You okay?” I asked Adam.
     “Yah… sorry about that…” he said mumbled.
     “Why are you sorry?” I asked as Shane started the car.
     “The second I heard her voice, I should’ve run… she had change a lot…”
     “Thanks for standing up for me…” I said burying my face to his chest; I threw my arms around his waist.
     “Of course…”
     I hope I’m wrong on what I’m thinking, that he’s not lying to
 
 
♦168♦
 
 
himself about what he said that he love me more and it’s already the past between them. I tried to fight my tears from falling. I wish whatever just happened now is just a nightmare. I close my eyes as the tears start rushing down from my eyes.
     “Alyson, on what you are thinking, you are a hundred percent wrong,”
     “I’m not thinking of anything…” I lied.
     “Yah right… and you expect me to believe you…” he brushed his lips to my hair.
     “She’s still your best friend…”
     “Not anymore… our friendship ended when she called you f*****g…”
     “Really…” I chuckled. I know this is not the last time we’ll see her. Not the last time I’ll see her. I saw pure determination in her eyes back there, and she won’t stop until she succeeds.
 
     We reached St. Luke’s hospital by one. I can see that Kyla is really worried about Nate.
     “Nate!” she screamed.
     “Calm down… I’m alive…” Nate said.
     “What’s your disease anyway?”
     “I’m not sick… I fell out of the window,”
     “Why?”
     “I tripped…”
     “Told you I’m not the only clumsy one…” Adam whispered to my ear.
     “Whatever… but you’re still the clumsiest…” I murmured, but only he can hear.
     “Yah… I accept that…”
     “Why did you trip?” I heard Kyla asked.
     “It’s a little slippery in that room but I still decided to practice… well, I got carried away, you know, with my spinning, well, you know what will happen next…”
     “At what storey?”
 
 
♦169♦
 
 
     “Two only…”
     “Okay… how do you feel now?”
     “I’m fine… so what happened while I’m gone?”
     “You won’t believe who showed up in the airport…” Shane said.
     “Who?” Nate asked suddenly interested.
     “Stephanie Lively!”
     “Whoa! I missed all the fun! What happened?”
     “Well, you can ask Adam… or Alyson… about it,”
     “Alyson?” he looked at me.
     “Um, well…” I mumbled.
     “She’d changed a lot…” Adam said.
     “Hair?”
     “Longer, with bangs…
     “Shape?”
     “The same, I think…”
     “Let me guess, attitude?”
     “A lot!”
     “From sweet, innocent, girly, fun-spirited to…”
     “Aggressive, mean, not so innocent, I’m not so sure if she’s still sweet…”
     “Is she still gorgeous?”
     He looked at me first. “Physically yes, emotionally no…”
     “Maybe she just over-reacted… you know… what happened to her anyway?”
     “Her…” he didn’t continue.
     “Her family-in-law died on a plane crash…” Shane continued for him.
     “Ah… so what did she say?”
     “She wants to get back with Adam…”
     “And what did you say?” he asked looking at Adam.
     “Of course no…”
     “What’s your reaction?” he asked now looking at me.
     “Um, nothing… so when are you going out anyway?” I
 
 
♦170♦
 
 
changed the topic.
     “Maybe a week from now,”
     “Hey, I need to go home now… I’m really sleepy…” I fake a yawn.
     “Okay… I’ll drive you home…” Adam said.
     “Um, no need… I’ll just take the bus…”
     “I won’t let you… c’mon…”
     “Oh okay… you’re lucky I’m really, really sleepy…”
 
     I got home by four. I headed to my bed and fell asleep. I’m pretty sure I’m dreaming now, though I don’t like what I’m seeing, Adam holding hands with a girl that has the same exact hair like mine. When he was about to kiss her, I saw that it was Stephanie. I tried to walk toward them but I realized that I was barefoot on a floor of broken glass. My feet start to bleed, but I don’t mind. I can’t feel it anymore. All I can see now is that Adam is walking away from me with that girl. That’s the thing I can never handle.
     I woke up at seven, tears started to flow from my eyes. I heard my phone rang so I quickly wiped my tears.
     “Hello?” I said trying to sound like I just woke up.
     “Hey baby, sorry I woke you up…”
     “That’s okay,”
     “Um you see, a minute ago, Stephanie called, she’s begging if we could go and eat with her tomorrow evening… she’s apologizing on how she’d acted. Especially to you… so is it okay to you?”
     “Sure… where?”
     “At the Boulevard…”
     “Okay…”
     “That’s all… bye, go back to sleep, love you…”
     “Love you too…” I shut my phone.
     I’m a little hungry so I decided to go downstairs.
     “Hey, what’s for dinner?” I yawned.
 
 
♦171♦
 
 
     “Grilled cheese sandwich…” my mom said.
     “Okay…”
     “So how’s your day?” my dad asked when I sat across him.
     “Fine… we just fetched Nate’s girlfriend…”
     “Ah… nothing else happened?”
     “Nothing new…” I lied.
     “So, have you decided on where are you going on college?”
     “Maybe at Harvard…”
     “Nice choice… Dartmouth is great too…”
     “You look upset…” my mom said giving me a plate of grilled cheese sandwich.
     “No… I’m just… starving…” I took a huge bite. I really need to improve my lying skills.
     “You’re bluffing…”
     “No I’m not…” I took another bite.
     “So do you have plans for tomorrow?”
     “Going out tomorrow night…”
     “With Shane?”
     “No dad… with Adam…”
     “Okay… what time?”
     “I guess maybe at seven or eight…”
     “What time will you be back?”
     “Dad!”
     “Just kidding…”
 
    After I had dinner, I headed back to my room— since mom offered to wash the dishes tonight— and changed to my PJs since I didn’t notice that I fell asleep with Ashley’s grey chiffon dress. It’s actually the same style as the dress I was wearing before.
     I’m just thinking on what will happen tomorrow night. Is Stephanie really sorry and will let go of Adam? I hope so; I don’t really want to have cat fight with my boyfriend’s ex-girlfriend,
 
 
♦172♦
 
 
and usually back in Boston I’m the one who stops it. I close my eyes and covered the upper half of my face with my pillow. I tried to think of other things. I decided to listen on some music until I fall asleep.
 
     I woke up at eight. I feel a little dizzy, since I overslept. I look at my phone and I saw that I have one message from Adam. He said that he’ll go here at my house by ten.
     I decided to wear my orange and white sleeveless, white denim shorts, melon patent sandals— since Adam requested if I could not wear high heels— and my tan and silver woven bag.
     I went downstairs and I saw that Adam is already sitting at the couch, talking with my dad.
     “Hey, I thought you’ll be here at ten?” I said.
     “Well, I got bored at the house so I decided to go here an hour earlier…”
     “Okay… but I haven’t eaten breakfast yet…”
     “That’s okay honey, I’ll keep Adam company…” my dad said.
     “Um, no thanks dad…” I said pulling Adam up. He’s not as heavy as I thought, or maybe he just pulled himself up.
     “Oh yah, don’t forget to ask Shane on when he’ll come by here…” he added.
     “I can call him now if you want…” Adam offered.
     “Thanks…”
     Adam dialed Shane’s number. “Hey Shane, Alyson’s dad wants you to go here… yes now… okay bye…” he shut his phone down. “He said he’ll be here in a few minutes…”
     “Okay…”
     “C’mon… I’m hungry…” I said as I drag him to the dining room. “Did you have breakfast already?”
     “Yah… I’ll just watch you…”
     “Okay… I’ll just have a cereal… where are we going anyway?” I took a bowl and poured the cereal and milk.
 
 
♦173♦
 
 
     “Actually, I’m not sure…”
     “Um, I want to go shopping for some clothes… well, sundresses specifically,”
     “Sure… and I’ll buy a new pair of sneakers… or maybe two…”
     “Sure, just tell me later if it looks good on me or not…” I said sitting across him.
     “Um, I’m a guy… how would I know if it looks good on you?”
     “I believe you have a taste?”
     “On men’s clothing…”
     “That’s okay… oh yah, I’m wearing flats now… though not flip-flops, since I don’t know which I’ll wear…”
     “Thanks…”
     “But I’ll just do this rarely…”
     “That’s okay… at least you tried… and you’re right… height doesn’t matter…”
     “Of course…”
 
     It didn’t take us that much time to get to the mall. We reached it by eleven.
     “What signature do you mostly wear?”
     “Anything stylish… I’m not looking at the brands… just the style and if it’s comfortable…”
     “Ah… okay…”
     “Well, c’mon…” I took his hand and drag him through the boutiques.
     He just decided to sit back while I try some.
     “What looks better on me? This French dolls floral dress or this pink dress?” I asked holding the dresses on the hangers.
     “Both… you look great on both… even the ones you tried before…”
    “C’mon… I need constructive criticisms…”
     “Okay… I think you should by all except for that French dolls floral dress… the yellow floral dress you tried on before looks the
 
 
♦174♦
 
 
best on you… the pink one as well… and the green and blue… oh yah, the silver looks not that good on you… it makes you look more skinnier, though you are really skinny,”
     “Okay… thanks…” I said as I put the dresses on the basket.   “C’mon, I want some new cowboy boots need maybe some high heels… and don’t worry, maybe I’ll buy a pair of flats too… well, I need to pay for this first… wait I need some new belts too…”
     “Okay…”
     We went toward the counter, good thing there’s no line. Then we headed to the next shops.
     “Hey look, they’re on sale! Fifty percent off to all boots…”
     “Congrats…”
     I drag him inside and like on the other stores, he just sit back and hold my paper bags for me.
     “What looks better, this tan, white, silver or black one?”
     “The tan calf boot looks like the one you have at home…”
     “You’re right…”
     “The white one looks stylish… God, you’re contagious… I can’t like fashion... of girls…”
     “Sorry… okay, I’ll just buy this white and silver boots…”
     “Okay…”
     “And maybe I’ll add this tan gladiator shoes… it’s flat…”
     “Okay… you’re such a shopaholic…”
     “No I’m not… and maybe this white high heel… I already tried this on anyway…”
     “Sure… you’re not a shopaholic…”
     “It’s on sale… thirty and fifty percent off…”
     “Just kidding, besides, you don’t know how long it takes us to pick shoes… when it comes to shoes, we’re like girls…”
     “Really… you didn’t tell me that before…”
     “You didn’t ask…”
     “Well, I need to pay for this now, or I might need to use my credit card to pay this if I stay here a little longer…”
 
 
♦175♦
 
 
     “You don’t use your credit card?”
     “I’m practicing not to… like what you said, I’m a real shopaholic… and I read a lot of stories about shopaholics who are buried to debts in credit cards… so I promised myself to only use it on emergencies…”
     “Wow, you’re strong… most shopaholics I know can’t do that…”
     “Yah…” I went straight to the counter before I find another pair of shoes.
     “So is it my turn to shop now?” he asked after the sales lady gave me the four paper bags.
     “Yah, I guess… it’s my turn to sit back and relax…”
     “Okay…” now he dragged me to some shoe stores.
     I just sit back as he tries some sneakers on.
     “Which looks great, the blue, red, white, silver or black one?”
     “I like the features on this black one… the blue one makes you look more athletic, which is good, red one looks cute too…”
     “So I’ll just buy all?”
     “Except for the white and silver… it both looks boring…”
     “Yes ma’am…”
     “How many shoes do you have?”
     “Um, twenty? I think… like I said, we shop like girls when it comes to sneakers…”
     “Ah… so who has the most?”
     “Me…” he said sheepishly.
     “Okay… and I’m the shopaholic… so do you pick a specific brand?”
     “Not really, sometimes we buy to what we endorse… but now our contract is expired so we just buy on where we want, but before, we cheat, and we don’t really need to buy what we endorse, just for TV…”
     “Ah…”
     “C’mon, I’ll pay for this now…”
 
 
♦176♦
 
 
     “Sure…” I said as I follow him.
     “So where do you want to eat?”
     “Anywhere…”
     “Lets eat to Frascati…”
     “Sure… okay…”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
♦177♦


© 2009 alison13


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

the ex is back.. nice..

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

546 Views
1 Review
Added on July 2, 2009
Last Updated on July 3, 2009


Author

alison13
alison13

Philippines



About
my name is elaine and i'm a fourteen years old girl... i'm gonna make my description short. i only have three addictions for the moment. MUSIC, BOOKS and PHOTOGRAPHY. MUSIC had been and always will.. more..

Writing
Goodbye Goodbye

A Poem by alison13


Paparazzi Paparazzi

A Poem by alison13