Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
16. STARS

16. STARS

A Chapter by alison13

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
16. Stars
 
     I WOKE UP AS THE LIGHT STRIKE TO MY FACE. I FORGOT TO close the curtains last night. But I know I closed the doors on my balcony. I looked at the time and it’s already eight am. There’s another bear now holding eight roses, which has another note attached that says:
 
Meet me at the same park as before at seven pm. I promise I’ll come, besides, when you come, I’ll be there waiting. You already forgave me right? So I hope you can come. Oh yah, don’t be freaked out on why the doors of your balcony are open, I used it to reach your room, though at least I didn’t wake you up… It just proves that I really send this… sorry for my handwriting, I’m kinda in a hurry, :)
Yours truly,
Adam
 
 
 
♦200♦
 
 
     I believe him this time. Did he really climb from the balcony? Well, I hope he didn’t jump down. But just to make sure I called Shane.
     “Hello, Shane?”
     “Yah, what’s up?”
     “Did Adam really go here at my room last night?”
     “Not last night… just this morning… he even said that you’re really a heavy sleeper, oh yah, he said he’ll just buy you a new frame…”
     I looked around and I saw my broken frame— the one I made when I was like seven— on the floor. “Oh that’s okay… I can’t believe I didn’t wake up when he dropped by…”
     “Oh yah, he said he’ll be gone for the whole day… so you won’t see him until later…”
     “Okay… um, can I go there later?”
     “Sure… you’re always welcome…”
     “Thanks…”
     “No prob.’
     “Well, bye now…”
     “Okay…”
     I shut my phone then I did the same routine again— brush my teeth then take a bath— I decided to wear my new yellow floral sundress and white calf boots. I checked my emails and I’ve got one from Miley.
 
Hey Alyson… I’m so sorry I haven’t answered your emails, oh yah, I have wonderful news for you, I’ll be having a vacation there at California! Well, maybe two to three weeks, but I hope we can have the best time… I’ll be there after a week, miss you, bye…
 
     Then I replied:
 
Wow, that’s great! I haven’t seen you since last Christmas, and don’t worry, I promise, we’ll have the best two to three weeks
 
 
♦201♦
 
 
here… and um, do you still have a crush on Shane’s Cyrus? Sorry you haven’t met him last Christmas, but I promise, you’ll meet him this time, see you soon…
 
     I just remembered what happened last Christmas, where Adam and I visited Miley in Boston, we even fight, because he wants to pay for my ticket, but in the end we played paper, rock scissors, to see on who will win, but sadly, he was an expert on it.
     After I shut down my laptop, I headed downstairs where Kevin is reading his newspaper and having coffee and cake for breakfast.
     “Good morning…” I said.
     “Good morning to you too…” he said.
     “Where’s mom?”
     “At Amy’s house…”
     “Ah…” I walk toward the kitchen and just fixed myself a bowl of cereal for breakfast.
 
     After I eat, I washed my bowl and headed to Shane’s house. The door was open so I decided to go straight inside. They’re neither in the living room nor dining room, so I guess they might be upstairs. Now I’m sure they’re in Nate’s room. I can hear them murmuring. I peek at the door and there they are talking. I was about to knock when I heard my name. I know it’s not right to eavesdrop but I can’t help it.
     “…Shane tell me, why do you care so much for Alyson?” I heard Nate asked.
     “She’s my best friend…” Shane answered.
     “Yah right… you had three girl best friends before, the first and second you don’t care that much and you can say no… on the third you fell in love and you can’t say no… then you got heartbroken… now to Alyson, one call from her, you hurriedly get the phone leaving us here… or hurriedly go to their
 
 
♦202♦
 
 
house if she needs help or something…”
     “That’s before… because we have a lot of school projects…”
     “Remember the one on the park; you’re so serious on playing your nintendo wii, then she called, you quickly shut it down when you know you were about to win, just to go and comfort her or something…”
     “Of course… friends first before games…”
     “Yah right… before you were playing then I asked you to help me prepare and you said ‘later I’m very, very busy now’…” he imitated his voice.
     “That’s before… when I was younger…”
     “That’s a few day before I fell from the window…”
     “Really? I can’t remember it…”
     “Tell me, are you in love with Alyson?”
     “Of course not! She’s with Adam…”
     “If they broke up…”
     “She’s just my best friend… like a sister to me…”
     “Tell me the truth, besides, we’re the only one here… no one will know except for me…”
     “I’m not in love with Alyson…”
     “You can lie to me but not to yourself…”
     “What’s wrong with being such a good best friend? Best friends help each other and always there whenever they’re down… you know, for cheering up…”
     “Really…”
     “Of course…”
     “Don’t worry, you’re not that obvious… just a little…”
     “Really?”
     “I knew it!”
     “You know what?”
    “You just admitted that you’re really in love with her!”
     “Shut up…”
     “Just admit it already…”
 
 
♦203♦
 
 
     “Oh alright… I admit it… I’m in love with Alyson… she’s already like my life… I love her more than my life… I didn’t feel like this on my ex-girlfriend… happy now?”
     “Yah…”
     “But I’m begging you… please don’t tell this to anyone… especially to Alyson…”
     “Sure… but since when?”
     “Hawaii…”
     “That long?”
     “I can do that…”
     “You didn’t even find other girls?”
     “Nope… I pretend I had… just to Alyson… well, it’s like I can’t see other girls when she’s with me… I don’t know why…”
     “Wow, you’re strong… how can you stand that? Seeing her and Adam…”
     “Sometimes it hurts, but at least she’s happy… but when he left her, I’ll be there for her, waiting, until she realize that I’m the one who understands her, that I’ve been there all along… just waiting to be notice…”
     “Um Shane, Adam didn’t hurt her yet…”
     “I know… but you said yet… besides, I respect Adam…”
     “Will you tell your feelings to her?”
     “No… and I have no plans to… besides, I promise to her that I won’t fall in love with her… though I already broke that promise, at least she doesn’t know… I can live like this for as long as I want…”
     “You’ll never tell her?”
     “I’ll tell her when it’s the right time…”
     “And when is the right time?”
     “When they break up… and see? That’s the reason why I can never tell her, because they will never break up…”
     “You sure you can wait forever?”
     “Of course…”
     “Why?”
 
 
♦204♦
 
 
     “Because I want to…”
     “Why don’t you try dating first?”
     “I can’t… I can’t date a girl I don’t and will never love… I don’t like pretending… that will hurt to me and on the girl I’ll date…”
     “Wow… you’re really strong…”
     I decided to let them know I’m here already, I can’t stand another second of eavesdropping. I went back to the stairs and tap my boots. “Shane? Are you here?” I said as convincingly as possible. I pretend to peek like I don’t know where they are, and then Shane and Nate quickly change their topic. “Hey guys,” I knocked at the door. “Can I come in?”
     “Sure…” Nate said.
     “So what are you talking about?” I asked. I tried to look as innocent as possible.
     “Just asking him if he can walk already…” Shane said.
     “Ah… so can you really walk now?”
     “Slow… but I still need to use the wheelchair sometimes…”
     “Ah… so when do you think you can walk?”
     “Maybe after a month…”
     “Ah…”
     “So what do you want to do now?” Shane asked.
     “Anything…”
     Then the doorbell rang.
     “Oh that must be Kyla… I’ll get it…” Shane volunteered.
     “So you didn’t hear anything…” Nate said as a rhetorical question.
     “Nope…”
     “I know the beat of the floor…”
     “What?” I sat on the chair next to him.
     “I know when you fake your walk or not… Shane doesn’t…”
     “Really… then you know your answer to your rhetorical question…”
     “I knew it… and don’t worry, I won’t say a word…”
 
 
♦205♦
 
 
     “Thanks…”
     “Yah… I’m pretty sure you’ll be the one who’s going to tell him anyway…”
     “Maybe…”
     “I’m kinda a psychic…”
     “Okay…”
     “So, did you hear it all?”
     “Kinda…”
     “So what do you think?”
     “I think the same as you…”
     “Really…”
     “Hey, I’m back…” Shane said, Kyla behind.
     “Hey, you want to go to the carnival?” I asked Shane.
     “Sure…”
     “Besides, they need their alone time…” I said dragging him.
     “So, are we going to use your Ford or my Ferrari?”
     “It’s up to you…”
     “Okay, I’ll drive…”
     “Sure…”
     We headed in the backside of their house were his Ferrari was parked.
     “You don’t put your Ferrari to your huge garage?”
     “Well, no… since I use it every day…”
     “Ah…”
     “Oh yah, Adam said we can’t go to Menlo Park… even near it…”
     “Okay… is he really preparing?” I get into his car.
     “Yah…” he started the car.
 
     It didn’t take us much time before we reach the carnival, and it’s already eleven am.
     “C’mon, I’ll buy tickets…” he said.
     “Okay…”
     We headed to the ticket booth; good thing the woman
 
 
♦206♦
 
 
selling them didn’t recognize us. I just love it when we go out in public without needing to have a bodyguard or something, just being us. Usually I can’t do that when we’re all going out.
     “So where do you want to ride first?” he asked me.
     “How about at the roller coaster…”
     “Sure…”
      We headed to the roller coaster; there are not much people in the carnival so we didn’t have to wait in line. We rode it twice. After that, we sat at the bench first.
    “Okay, I’m a little dizzy now…” I lied.
     “Want some snacks first?”
     “Sure… popcorn, cotton candy and soda would be good…”
     “Okay, wait here…”
     “Thanks…”
     He walked toward the popcorn and cotton candy stand and ordered for us.
     I hope Shane can find someone than me, someone that is better than me, someone that is right for him and will love him back. But who could that be? Hmm, maybe I could be a matchmaker, since Miley is visiting for about three weeks here, but, what if they really fall in love with each other, what will happen to them when Miley’s vacation is over? And she needs to go back in Boston. But maybe Miley can stay, besides, university of California is really a nice university, Miley can study there, at the same time, she can keep in touch with Shane. If not, some long distance relationships can last, right? Like Kyla in Arizona and Nate here in California, maybe long enough for him to forget his feelings for me, and find other girls.
     “Here are your popcorn, cotton candy and soda…” he said bringing me back to my consciousness.
     “Um, thanks…”
     “No problem…”
     “Hey, lets go to that photo booth…” I said as I dragged him.
 
 
♦207♦
 
 
     “I thought your dizzy?”
     “I’m fine now…”
     “You don’t want to just sit first?”
     “C’mon, it’s just a photo booth…”
     “Okay…”
 
     The carnival was really fun; we rode a lot of rides, including the Ferris-wheel— before as a kid, I was afraid to ride it because I was kinda afraid of heights, though I tried it a lot of times before— which was really fun, now I proved to myself that I’m not really afraid of anything at all and I’m pretty sure I’m a thrill seeker now.
     It’s almost seven now so I decided to tell Shane that I need to go to Menlo Park now. I took the bus again— which is a bit crowded by the way— but I hope he’s really there, waiting.
     I reached the park fifteen minutes late. There were no other people and it’s very dark as I walk on the way. I can see that there are some lights at the farthest part. As I walk toward the light, I can see Adam sitting at the same chair with the same round table as before. It was surrounded by red rose petals and small lighted candles both shape as a heart.
     “Wow, you prepared all this?” I asked.
     “Of course… just to make it up to you…” he stood up.
     “You’re amazing… and you found the perfect spot… have a dinner date under the stars…” I said as I look up.
     “Anything to make it up to you…” he gave me one rose and took my other hand. “So, do you forgive me?”
     “I already forgave you, remember?” I smelled the rose.
     “About the frame…”
     I chuckled. “That’s nothing… so what did you prepare?”
     “Wait…” then he snapped his fingers twice.
     Then two guys suddenly appear in sight. The first one is holding a violin while the second one is holding a plate with a cover on his right hand and red wine on his left. I only see this
 
 
♦208♦
 
 
on movies, and now I can’t believe it’s real.
     “You really prepared for this…”
     “Sorry if the lasagna wouldn’t taste as good as the one in restaurants… I just baked it myself…”
     “That’s okay…”
     “So can we have a seat then?” he pulled the chair slightly so I can sit on.
     “Thanks…” I said sitting on.
     He sat to his chair as well.
     The butler— I think— gently put the plate on the table and opened it. The lasagna smelled delightful, as the butler gently sliced the lasagna and took a piece and put it on Adam’s plate then to mine. Then he poured the red wine to Adam’s glass then to mine. He stand beside the violinist as he started to play a song that seems quite familiar to me though I can’t put my lip on it, I didn’t mind asking.
     “You’re amazing…”
     “So how’s my preparation?”
     “It’s great… from the scent of the rose petals, to the food, though I haven’t tried it yet, but it looks really delicious, to the soft humming of the violin as the main background…”
     “Great…”
     “You’re the best…”
     “So would you trust me again?”
     “I already gave you my last chance and my full trust…”
     “Why only one?”
     “You already ask that… why? Would you hurt me again?”
     “Once chance would be good…”
     “Great… so where did you bake this anyway?” I looked at the lasagna.
     “I called at home and asked if you’re there, Nate said you and Shane went to the carnival, so I took the opportunity to go back to the house… and I’m telling you, I was a real mess at the kitchen, it took me an hour or so to clean it up…”
 
 
♦209♦
 
 
     “Well, this looks delicious…”
     “Then why don’t you want to taste it?”
     “Who said I don’t want to?” I took a bite.
     “How was it?”
     It took me a second to answer. “It tastes delicious! Like I said, and before I tasted it, I can see that it will taste wonderful, since I know that you had put a lot of effort on this… and I’m being honest, it really tastes great…”
     “Really… or you’re just being nice…”
     “I’m telling the truth…”
     “Okay…” he took a bite.
     “So…”
     “You’re right… I didn’t know I have a secret talent…”
     “Congrats…” I took another bite. “So who taught you to cook?”
     “Cookbooks at home… whenever we go out of town or country, our mom always buys one cookbook…” he took another bite.
     “Ah… you know, I only see this on movies… the first dates…”
     “Really… then just pretend this is our first date… like I’m the nerd who asked the head cheerleader out to dinner…”
     “Or, you’re the head of the football team, asking the biggest loser on the campus… that always happens in movies…”
     “Really…”
     “Yah…” I took a sip on the wine. “Wow, this is really good, how old is this?”
     “A hundred year old brandy…”
     “Wow… where did you bought this?”
     “That was a gift to my great, great grandparents… you see, they bought like fifty bottles of wines before, I think, and in every generation, they leave us ten of this, well, we’re the last tone to have this, we have eight left, the other one was used on their wedding…”
 
 
♦210♦
 
 
     “Are you sure it’s okay for us to use this? As I can see, this priceless wine should only be use in special occasions…”
     “Yah… I already asked for permission… and I bet we can’t drink this all…”
     “Okay…” I took another sip.
     “Besides, this is a special occasion…”
     “Fine… I’ll go with whatever you say… um, when will your parents be back?”
     “A week from now, I guess…” he took a bite and looked at his watch.
     “Hey, want to stargaze?”
     “Why?”
     “I’ll show you something…” he took my hand and led me to the farther part of the park.
     There’s already a huge blanket lying on the grass.
     “Wait here… I forgot our wine…”
     “Okay…”
     It didn’t take him too long to come back. “Here’s your glass…” he said handing it to me.
     “Okay…”
     “We’ll just wait for a minute…”
     “For what?”
     “You’ll see…”
     I stare at the night sky until there are fireworks suddenly appearing on the sky, forming the words I ALYSON.
     “Wow… you did this?”
     “Of course… well, not me technically…”
     “You’re the best… am I dreaming?”
     “Yah… I know… and you’re awake…”
     “Sorry I ever doubted you…” I buried my face to his chest.
     “That’s okay… will you ever have a doubt at me again?”
     “That depends…”
     “Why?”
     “That’s part of the relationship… we can’t just have all fun,
 
 
♦211♦
 
 
you know, it’s fun to have screaming and fighting and kissing in the rain…”
     “Sure… look up again…”
     I followed his gaze. “So what’s up?”
     “See that small, but really shimmering star?”
     “Yah…”
     “That’s my favorite…”
     “Why?”
     “Its name is Alyson…”
     “No it’s not…” I chuckled.
     “Yes it is…” he said taking a paper from the pocket of his jacket.
     “No way! Really?” I sat back straight.
     “Really…”
     “You named a star after me?”
     “That’s what it says here…”
     “You’re amazing!”
     “Yah… what else do you want?”
     “Nothing else… my life is absolutely perfect… I’ve got the perfect boyfriend, perfect family, perfect best friends…”
     “Perfect face, perfect attitude, perfect personality…” he added.
     “I could die now… my life is complete…”
     “You can’t… mine is not complete yet…”
     “Why?”
     “My life would never be complete if you’re not with me…”
     “Sure… um, do you have a star named after you?”
     “Yah, see that star that is different? The one that shines in the color blue…”
     “That’s named Adam…”
     “You’re right…”
     “And it’s close to mine… that is my most favorite…” I took another sip.
     Then his phone rang. He looked at it and turned it off.
 
 
♦212♦
 
 
     “I thought you lost your phone?”
     “I bought a new one…”
     “Who’s that?”
     “Nobody important…”
     “Who?”
     “You really want to know?”
     “Yah…”
     “Stephanie…”
     “How did she know your new number?”
     “I borrowed Shane’s phone this morning and send all the numbers on his phone, then I sent a group message, I didn’t notice that Stephanie’s number was on it…”
     “Okay… so why won’t you answer it?”
     “Why should I?”
     “Give it to me…”
     “Why?”
     “Trust me,”
     “Okay…” he handed it to me.
     I turned it on and it rang again. But this time I answered. “Hello?” I said imitating Adam’s voice.
     “Adam!” Stephanie said. I fooled her.
     “Yes Stef?”
     “Can I meet you tomorrow?”
     “Why?”
     “Just want to talk to you… you know, I really missed you…”
     “Where?”
     “At the Albona Ristorante Istriano…”
     “Sure… what time?”
     “Maybe at ten am… you alone, okay?”
     “Sure thing…”
     “Bye… love you…”
     “Bye…” I shut his phone.
     “So what did she say?”
     “Nothing…” I lied. “Just saying hello and she just receive your
 
 
♦213♦
 
 
new number…”
     “I heard you asked why, where and what time…”
     “That’s nothing… promise… trust me…”
     “Okay… just don’t start a riot, okay?”
     “Of course…”
     “Swear?”
     “I promise…” I raised my right hand, though I crossed my fingers on my left. But I’ll still try to keep that promise.
 
     Adam drove me home by ten. We really had a wonderful time, we finished the lasagna quickly and I already forgot what happened last week.
     “So, are you free tomorrow?” he asked.
     “Um, no… doing chores… maybe the day after that…”
     “Okay…”
     “Well, I gotta go now,”
     “Bye…”
     “Bye…” I went inside; I can see that my dad is too busy watching football to notice me. “Night dad…”
     “Oh, you’re home… night…”
     I went straight to my room and called Shane.
     “Hey…” Shane said.
     “Shane, you free tomorrow?”
     “Yah I guess… why?”
     “Can you come with me tomorrow at the Albona Ristorante Istriano?”
     “Sure… what time?”
     “Ten am…”
     “Oh…”
     “Why?”
     “Nothing… are you coming here or I’ll drive by?”
     “Come there… is something wrong?”
     “Nothing… of course you can…”
     “If you can’t come it’s okay… I ca—”
 
 
♦214♦
 
 
     “No, its fine, don’t worry…”
     “You sure? I can come by myself if it’s—”
     “No, I can come with you…”
     “You sure you don’t have any plans for tomorrow?”
     I heard him took a deep breath. “No… I’m free…”
     “You’re really sure?”
    “Yah…”
     “Thanks… you’re the best…”
     “Bye…”
     “Bye…” then I shut my phone. Please tell me he didn’t just cancel something just to come with me. I decided to call Nate anyway.
     “Hello?” Nate said.
     “Hey it’s me… is Shane there?”
     “Alyson… nope… he’s in his room…”
     “Um, do you have something to do tomorrow?”
     “We’ll watch a baseball game, why?”
     “What time?”
     “Ten am…”
     “Oh… okay…”
     “Why? What’s up?”
     “Nothing… thanks, bye…”
     “Okay…”
     Then I shut my phone. He’s unbelievable. How can Shane cancel such a thing just to do a favor for me? I’m being too unfair to him, just for my own personal things. He loves baseball, and he loves watching the games. I lie down to my bed still thinking, maybe I should say to Shane that I’ll just do this myself and he should enjoy the game. Yah, that’s it. I changed to my PJs then went to sleep.
 
 
 
 
 
 

♦215♦



© 2009 alison13


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

agreed to blackrose24.. i love this chapter too.. full of your amazing imagination.. and really unique.. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


this is my favorite chapter.. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


i like the ending. your a terrific writer. really imaginative.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

485 Views
3 Reviews
Added on July 2, 2009
Last Updated on July 3, 2009


Author

alison13
alison13

Philippines



About
my name is elaine and i'm a fourteen years old girl... i'm gonna make my description short. i only have three addictions for the moment. MUSIC, BOOKS and PHOTOGRAPHY. MUSIC had been and always will.. more..

Writing
Goodbye Goodbye

A Poem by alison13


Paparazzi Paparazzi

A Poem by alison13