19. LAST STRAW

19. LAST STRAW

A Chapter by alison13

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
19. Last Straw
 
     ITS’ BEEN TWO WEEKS NOW AND I’M STILL KEEPING IN TOUCH with Miley and the others. Shane still didn’t tell me about the thing that I overheard before but I’m still guilty for knowing. We went to the mall twice this week and I’m the one who’s looking for a girl for her, though he didn’t know. I just say that I have a friend who wants to have a dinner with him or something.
     I found five girls for him— who obviously like him already, and all of them are gorgeous and really sweet, I tried to know them first, when I was on a disguise, so I can know them better on who they really are, not just because I’m Alyson Smith— the first one is Sandy Torres, a blonde, really nice, love to help to the charities, eighteen years old, going to take journalism on college.
     The second one is London Philips, brunette, loves children, going to take law as her course, eighteen years old, she’s really adorable and it’s easy to talk to her, she reminds me of Miley on some ways.
     The third one is Mitchie Stanley, red-headed girl, seventeen years old, loves animals, and wants to be a vet someday, she loves singing too, joined a lot of contests before, and you’ll never get bored when she’s around. She’s like the life of the party.
 
 
♦241♦
 
 
     The fourth one is Devonne Rock, blonde, nineteen years old, just gone from a break up and healed fast, currently studying on the University of California in a culinary course, and helps in some charities on her free time, she asks a lot of questions, though she’s never been annoying.
     The last one is Regina Allen, seventeen years old, a brunette, loves to do community services, wants to be a teacher, and loves playing with the abandoned kids, she’s really fun, and she said she loves shopping.
     Shane gave a lot of reason just to not like those girls. Like first, she doesn’t like Sandy because on how she laughs. Well, that’s kinda annoying anyway. Second, on London, he can’t wait for ten years for a girl. Yah right, I never did believe him there. Third, on Mitchie, too boring, doesn’t have a great sense of humor. Oh c’mon, that’s the most stupid reason ever, she’s really talkative and I’d never ever become bored with her. He’s really, obviously lying. Fourth, on Devonne, he said she’s a playgirl since she already had twelve boyfriends before. So? He can change her, right? Last, Regina, he said she talks too much about herself. That I’m not that sure if I agree or not, since I just met her yesterday.
     If only Miley doesn’t have a boyfriend, since she’d told me that she has a crush on Shane, well, I know I shouldn’t be minding Shane’s personal life, but I just can’t help it. At least when I’m with Miley, I don’t think about Shane that much. We’ve been spending a lot of time anyway. We’ve done a lot of sleepovers, makeovers, movie marathons, video blogs and shopping sprees. We’re making the time last since now is her last week here, then she’ll be back at Boston again and I don’t know when I’ll get to see her again.
    I decided to drive down to Miley’s aunt’s house now, since I have nothing to do at home. I pressed the doorbell twice but no one answered. I guess they’re gone. I decided to drive down to Shane’s house. I can see that Shane saw me before I could get
 
 
♦242♦
 
 
off the car.
     “Hey, so what made you drive by?” he asked.
     “Well, I’m bored at home…”
     “So where are we going?”
     “Where do you want? Wait, is Adam at home?”
     “Nope… charity again… and don’t worry, he said I should tell you that he really made sure that Stephanie’s not there… he said they haven’t talk since the last, last week’s incident…”
     “Ah… um, is Nate home?”
     “Yah… he’s upstairs…”
     “Okay… I’ll just talk to him for a second…”
     “Sure… I’ll just give some snacks to my pets…”
     “Okay…” I went up to Nate’s room. I knocked first, though I know he might have a feeling that I was coming. Since for the last few days he’d been acting strange, as if he’d become a mind reader to me, and he knows what I’ll say, is he really becoming a mind reader or I’m just that predictable? I’ll try again, but this time, I have nothing in mind. Just to know if he’s just having a lucky guess or he’s really a mind reader.
     “Hey Alyson,” he said.
     “Wow, you can walk now… fast…”
     “Yah…”
     “So, can you read my mind?”
     “You’re not thinking anything…” he smiled. Wow, he’s good.
     “Did you bought a new book about mind reading or is being a computer geek finally paying off?”
     “I can see it in your eyes… well I read a lot of articles about it on the net…”
     “I knew it… so how can you do this mind reading thing? You’re not Edward Cullen in disguise, are you?”
     “No… but I wish… it’s just years of practice… you see, I’ve been learning about it since I was eighteen…”
     “Ah… well I don’t want to learn anymore…”
     “So, no new recruits yet?”
 
 
♦243♦
 
 
     “Nope… what does Shane really like?”
     “Nice, respect our mom, well, that’s the only thing I know… he said he doesn’t go for looks and he wants friendship first…”
     “Ah… no wonder… but how can he find a girl if he doesn’t even want to know more about them…”
     “It’s really hard to find someone he’ll fall in love with… he’s not much of a flirt like Adam…”
     “I know…”
     “So where are you guys going?”
     “Can’t you read my mind?”
     “Like I said, you’re not thinking anything…”
     “Well, can you give me an idea?”
     “Ask Shane where he wants to go…”
     “Okay…” I went out of his room and headed back to where Shane is.
 
     We decided to go to the carnival again, since we have no idea on what we’re going to do and we’re already tired of the mall. We rode a lot of rides and I won a lot of stuff toys for my collection— well, I’m not really a collector, but I look like one, once you go in my room— while Shane won a goldfish, stuff toys and some exotic foods, which taste good anyway.
     It’s already six pm so we decided to go home now, since we’re really tired and I guess Adam is at home already.
     “Wait, I’ll just put this goldfish on a fishbowl…” Shane muttered.
     “Sure… um, maybe I’ll go see Adam first…”
     “Okay…”
     I headed to Adam’s room, but there’s something in me I don’t know, that’s saying that I shouldn’t go, my heart begun to beat faster. When I reached his room, I open the door slightly to peek on what he’s doing.
     The world suddenly froze in front of me. I saw him and Stephanie sitting on his bed, kissing. Suddenly I can’t move my
 
 
♦244♦
 
 
hand from the doorknob.
     “Alyson,” I heard Shane called me.
     “Oh, I need to go now… could you come with me?” I said as tears started to fall from my eyes, but I quickly wiped it.
     “Sure…”
     I ran down the stairs until I heard Adam called my name. I went straight the passenger’s seat but before I could go inside, someone caught my hand. I tried to shake it off but I can’t, I fight my tears from falling again but I have no strength to do it.
     “Alyson wait!” Adam muttered.
     “What do you want? This is the last straw… I can’t do this anymore…” I blubbered.
     “Let me explain…”
     “Explain? I don’t want to hear it anymore… another lie… Alyson give me another chance… I’m too tired of it… I’ll break this cycle now… the one where you’ll beg for forgiveness, you’ll give me another lie and I’ll believe you… I can’t believe I ever trusted you again… I shouldn’t have believed you and I shouldn’t have given you that chance…”
     “I never lied to you…”
     “That’s what you always say… why… why am I so stupid to do that… to give you another chance…”
     “Please… it’s not what it looks like…”
     “Not what it looks like? You, on your pajamas, Stephanie on her lingerie, you two kissing… c’mon, I’m not that dumb… and don’t tell me that she’s the only one who’s kissing you because I saw you with my own two eyes that you respond…”
     “I didn’t respond…”
     “Shut up and let me go… we’re over…”
     “No… please, I’ll explain…”
     I took off the necklace he gave me last Valentine’s Day with the heart pendant that has a carving that says ADAM+ALYSON.
     “What? No…” he caught my hand again.
     “You said forever and always…”
 
 
♦245♦
 
 
     I shook off my hand but held me on the waist. I don’t know what came to my mind but I suddenly slap him, I didn’t care if my hand even hurt, my heart is already broken anyway. I can’t live like this anymore. I went in the passenger’s seat where Shane is already ready to drive.
     “Drive fast…” I murmured to Shane.
     “Where are we going?”
     “I don’t know… but I don’t care anymore… drive fast…”
     “Are we going to your house or to Miley’s?”
     “Neither… um, do you know a place where it’s very quiet… well, where no one else is there… I just want to let go all the things I have in mind…”
     “Wait…” he took his phone and called someone. I didn’t mind listening on what he’s saying. All I know is I hate Adam. He’s the one who broke my heart, but still the one who’s in it.
     He drove to a place I never been before, but I don’t care anymore. We went inside where there’s no people insight, like what I have requested. It looks like a bar.
     “Where are we?” I asked.
     “You said you want to be alone… I booked this up for you… you can do anything you want… scream, cry, anything… and I guess like you said, you can’t go home yet with that on your mind… and heart…”
     “Okay… can I have a glass of Vodka?” I said to the bartender. I sat to the black couch. I decided to take a bottle of Vodka anyway, so I won’t bother to stand up later.
     “Wait, I thought you don’t drink?”
     “I just want to forget him…” I drank the whole glass. “If I could erase some events on my life, it would be the time I met him…” I poured the vodka again to my glass.
     “You can’t do that…”
     “I know… but I just wish I can…” I drank the glass again.
     “No, you can’t do that… because if you erase that moment, I won’t meet you… you won’t be a huge part of my life… and I
 
 
♦246♦
 
 
know that this is really not a good timing to say this, since you just got broken hearted, but I just want you to know that I’m always here for you and I’ve been secretly in love with you and I know you can’t love me back on the way I wanted to… but that’s okay… I can wait…”
     “Well, since you’ve told me the truth, I should tell you now as well that before, I overheard you and Nate talking, I know eavesdropping is wrong but I did it anyway… then I heard you admitting your feelings… blah, blah, blah… and you know the rest… so don’t worry if you broke your promise… I don’t care anymore…” I drank the vodka again.
     “Wait is that the reason why you keep putting me on a lot of blind-dates?”
     “Yah…” I drank it from the bottle now.
     “No wonder…”
     “I can’t believe I trusted him… I shouldn’t have given him two chances… just for him to waste… before, I said that I can’t live without him… but I guess I’m wrong…” I drank the vodka again. I’m almost one fourth of the bottle. “Another bottle please…”
     “Just let it all out… if you want you can use my back to cry on…” he said turning around from me. The same time the bartender came with my second bottle.
     “Thanks…” I hugged him tightly and buried my face to his back. “I hate him so much…” the tears started rushing from my eyes again.
     “I know you’re just saying that… but deeply inside you’re still in love with him…”
     Why does Shane have to be a total genius? “No I’m not…” I lied.
     “You can always lie to me but you can’t lie to yourself…”
     I just didn’t answer.
     But I’m pretty sure you’ll work this out again…”
     “How can you be sure?” I let go of him.
 
 
♦247♦
 
 
     “Remember last Christmas, he wants you to visit Miley, you said sure, then he wants to pay for all the expenses you didn’t agree but he still insisted on paying… but in the end he won, right?”
     “Yah… but that’s just a minor fight…” I finished my first bottle.
     “Hmm… on your last birthday, he wants to bring you to Paris… but you said it’s too much… but in the end, you played rock, paper, scissors, and you won so you both paid for the expenses…”
     “That fight is over money, this is different…” I opened the bottle and drank again. Then I hugged him again.
     “A few weeks ago, the park thing…”
     “I gave him a chance there, though he can’t even give a lot of reasons or lies… but I still believed him…”
     “Oh…”
     “Yah… I’m so dumb to do that…”
     “Oh yah, you can put tears on my shirt but don’t blow your nose or puke on it, okay?”
     “Sure…” I chuckled. Shane is such a great friend to me. Why didn’t I just fall in love with him instead of Adam? Why can’t I just love him the same way he’s doing to me? I drank again.
     “Wait, how many are you drinking?”
     “I don’t care…” I drank again.
     “Okay, you’re drinking too much…” he took the bottle from my hand.
     “No I’m not; give that back to me…” I took the bottle again. “You said I can do anything I want…” I drank again.
     “Yah… but don’t drink too much…”
     “Sure… just tell me one thing…”
     “What’s that?”
     “Am I really that hard to love? He said he never cheated on a girlfriend… what am I to him before? Just a friend, which is a girl… the one he has some duets on our album…” tears started to fall again.
 
 
♦248♦
 
 
     “No you’re not… you’re easy to love, you’re a wonderful person…” he wiped the tears from my face. “It’s his lost if he let you go… but I think you should talk to him first… just to know the other side of the story…”
     “Maybe after a few days, weeks, months, or maybe after a year, I’ll be ready…” then my phone rang. I look at it and it’s Adam. I turned my phone off.
     “Who’s that?”
     “Wrong number…” I drank again.
     “Really… or is it…”
     “I don’t have time for games… it’s hard to talk to someone you can’t understand…” I drank again.
     “Fine… um, can you do the tour next month?”
     “Of course… my work is completely different from my personal life…” I drank again.
     “Okay…”
     “I think I’ll go home now…” I finished my second bottle and stood up but I was a little out of balance.
     “Wait, I’ll drive you home…” he caught me before I could fall.
     “I can drive by myself…”
     “I have two reasons why I’ll drive you home… first, that’s my car, since you didn’t give me the keys on yours—”
     “Wait, my car is still at your house?” I cut him off.
     “Yah…”
     “Here’s the keys… could you drive it tomorrow to my house?” I gave him the keys.
     “Sure…”
     “Since I can’t go to your house because now I feel like there’s a force field blocking and keeping me from going there…”
     “Okay…”
     “So what’s the second reason why I can’t drive by myself again?”
 
 
♦249♦
 
 
     “Second, if I let you drive, I might find your body in my car bumped to a tree… you’re completely drunk…”
     “Fine…”
     “One more thing… don’t puke in my car, okay?”
     “Sure…” suddenly I puked.
     “Great… good thing I didn’t wore my new sneakers…”
     I feel like in a few seconds I’ll collapse. Suddenly my eyes begun to close, now I feel like floating. Shane must have carried me to his car.
 
     I woke up at my bed, still wearing my clothes yesterday. I don’t remember anything after I puked to Shane’s sneakers. I went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth twice. I took a bath twice as well, and just wore my tank top and denim jeans. I took a long time just to make my curls perfect. I tried to waste my time, since I have nothing to do anyway.
     I went downstairs where Miley and Shane are talking, what time is it anyway? I didn’t take a chance to look at my phone since I haven’t changed my wallpaper yet.
     “Hey, what are you doing here?” I asked.
     “I drove your car, like what you requested, remember?” Shane said.
     “Oh yah…”
     “Alyson, are you alright?” Miley asked as she approach me.
     “Yah… why wouldn’t I?”
     “Shane told me about—”
     “Wait, do my parents know?”
     “Not yet… I think you should be the one who should tell them…” Shane mumbled.
     “Wait, you drive me here last night, right?”
     “Yah…”
     “What did they say?”
     “They just asked on what happened to you, I said we had a party and you became drunk…”
 
 
♦250♦
 
 
     “They didn’t ask on why I became drunk?”
     “Of course they did…”
     “So what did they say? Or should I ask, what did you say?”
     “I said that drinking a little was part of the party, but you got carried away…”
     “Ah… so I guess I’ll receive some sermons from them later…”
     “Maybe…”
     “Okay…” then I faced Miley again. “Don’t worry, I’m fine… time can heal most anything… and for sure, even this…” I pointed to my heart.
     “You’re really sure… I remembered what happened to you three years ago—” Miley said.
     “Stop… that’s just my past… like what happened last night… its part of my life…”
     “Wait, what happened three years ago?” Shane asked.
     “You shouldn’t have opened it…” I said to Miley.
     “Sorry…” she bit her lip.
     “So what did happen?” Shane asked again.
     “Well, lets have a seat first…” I sat at the couch and they followed. “I don’t want to remember this, I didn’t tell Adam about this either… when I was fifteen, I had a boyfriend named Chace Monroe…”
     “So Adam’s not your first?” Shane asked.
     “Yah… he’s just my second ex…”
     “Okay…”
     “Do I have to tell the whole story?”
     “Sure…”
     “Okay… I really loved Chace but there’s this really filthy rich girl named Jenny Brown, who said to him that she’s really in love with him, and she gave Chace a trip to Paris, for him to be with her, she even said that she’ll be paying for Chace’s studies in Paris… I asked Chace on who he really wants to be with, and I guess it’s Jenny… so they both flew to Paris… and after that, I told myself that I’ll never love anyone again…”
 
 
♦251♦
 
 
     “Oh…”
     “Yah… and I guess I should have stuck to that word… if I did, then I shouldn’t be feeling this thing again… it’s like déjà vu… I’ve been heartbroken, by a guy because of another girl…” I fight my tears before it fall again.
     “Sorry that I asked about him…”
     “It’s okay… you know what, when I find the right guy for me, he’ll be perfect, and when I look at that guy, I’m not even going to remember the guys who broke my heart for another girl…”
     “If you could just look in front of you…” I heard Shane murmured to himself.
     “You’re right…”
     “What?”
     “I heard you…”
     “I was just—”
     “You were just right and don’t worry, I’ll try…” I said. And I will, though I’m not sure if I can. “Where are my parents anyway?”
     “They went to the mall to buy something…”
     “Okay… now, all I want to do is just hang out with my friends…” I put my arms around him. “Oh yah, I need new wallpaper for my phone…” I took my phone and took a picture of the three of us. I quickly changed my wallpaper so it won’t remind me of him. Then I deleted all of our pictures. “Wait, I need to eat first…”
      “Okay… we’ll just wait here…”
     “Yah…” Miley agreed.
     I headed to the kitchen and fixed myself a bowl of cereal. My phone rang again, and it’s the twentieth missed call from Adam so I decided to turn my phone off.
     After I eat, I washed my bowl then went back to the living room.
     “Hey, could you help me move my instruments down to the
 
 
♦252♦
 
 
empty room?” I asked.
     “Sure…” they said at the same time.
     We went to my room to get my two guitars, a piano—which is not as heavy as I think when they help— and the drum set I bought a few months ago.
     “Okay, that was exhausting…” Shane said.
     “Yah…” I agreed.
     “But I like how you paint this place… it’s really… cute…” Miley said.
     “Yah… I even slip after…”
     “Really… well, it has a charm… very, unique wild and… exotic…”
     “Is the wild and exotic a compliment?”
     “Yah…”
     “Well then, thanks…”
     “Hey, maybe we should go to the mall now…”
     Sure…”
     At least hanging out with my best friends will let me forget about him, almost.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
♦253♦

 



© 2009 alison13


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

having friends to rely on after a break up is one of the best things you'll be thankful to have..

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

530 Views
1 Review
Added on July 2, 2009
Last Updated on July 3, 2009


Author

alison13
alison13

Philippines



About
my name is elaine and i'm a fourteen years old girl... i'm gonna make my description short. i only have three addictions for the moment. MUSIC, BOOKS and PHOTOGRAPHY. MUSIC had been and always will.. more..

Writing
Goodbye Goodbye

A Poem by alison13


Paparazzi Paparazzi

A Poem by alison13