Scene 3

Scene 3

A Chapter by apj1465
"

Sforza faces the consequences of failure.

"

SCENE 3


(Chamber of Sforza. SFORZA sits at a table drinking. In his bed FIA awakes)


FIA.

What is the hour?


SFORZA.

For some of us, it is already too late my little butterfly.


FIA.

You are in a melancholy mood, did I displease you?


SFORZA.

You did your family proud.


FIA.

Then come back to bed, I promise to talk of sweet nothings.


SFORZA.

Such talk is seldom so cheap. First, I would talk of the lady Bianca.


FIA.

Already she loves me like an older sister.


SFORZA.

In some families that is hardly a recommendation. Does she talk about me?


FIA.

You? There is something of an age difference.


SFORZA.

Do such things matter?


FIA.

When you are that young, three months can render you ancient, you don’t have feelings do you?


SFORZA.

Merely thinking ahead. Her thoughts?


FIA.

Oh my poor love, she thinks of nothing but the death of my cousin Antonio d'Este. You know the handsome one with -


SFORZA.

I know the one.


FIA.

Was it really necessary?


SFORZA.

The Duke thought it necessary, so it seemed prudent that the young man became acquainted with the next world at the earliest opportunity. Beyond that I scare gave him a thought.


FIA.

Unlike Bianca. She has many thoughts and they all turn to you. She holds you had a hand in his death, a whole body in fact. You will have no salvation upon that front. She wants her revenge.


SFORZA.

She is that serious? I had heard it was a mere flirtation.


FIA.

You know what young girls are like. Everything at that age is a matter of life and death. Now come back to bed.


SFORZA.

I swear by the Almighty, I did not desire his death.


FIA.

The Duke says you are a prudent man and I've noticed prudent men always seem to be very specific in the oaths they swear.


SFORZA.

She’s her father’s daughter. She will have asked you do something for her?


FIA.

Well, since you've decided to let your side of the bed go cold. (Pulls letter from underneath pillow) A tangible in my lady’s hand, (sniffs letter) ah, the scent of treachery, your intended contracts with the d’Este for a death. Yours in fact. May one ask what this is worth to you, my lord?


SFORZA.

Should principle deal with treachery?


FIA.

Principle! You have no principles; you merely remember you had them, in time, even this memory will cease to trouble you.


SFORZA.

Behold a wonder of Aristotle, a butterfly with the feet of an elephant. Tread softly.


FIA.

For speaking true? It is in the nature of greatness that it consumes the humanity of those that it raises to the heights of good fortune. You are no different.


SFORZA.

You cast me like bronze, the villain of the age?


FIA.

Who remembers the saint? Now I would claim rights in a bargain.


SFORZA.

You speak of rights? Human rights are a myth, fine principles and flowery phrases on scraped parchment. In practice they mean nothing. Does every citizen come into the world with a guarantee of right? Does every citizen come into the world with a guarantee of worth? Is every citizen worth the guarantee? Or do some revoke their guarantees? If so, what right under broken contract then?


FIA.

You seek nobility and virtue? These days a man is judged by the cut of his cloth and the depth of his pockets.


SFORZA.

In this world of yours, when a man has bartered his soul, what will he become?


FIA.

Successful.


SFORZA.

Then why shower you affection upon me?


FIA.

(spreads herself out on the bed) Mighty Hercules,


SFORZA.

So I am the lover of the age? You honey the words.


FIA.

(giving up the act) Very well, you have certain skills.


SFORZA.

By virtue of chance and circumstance, I kill people, high and low, I’m very democratic, and if Fortune should smile upon me once more, I will kill more.


FIA.

And you do it so well. Usually. Your last campaign against Carmagnola was conducted in so desultory a fashion that to hear of it is to believe that it was conducted by another man altogether. You know it is so, that is why you are so angry.


SFORZA.

The Duke's court is a nest of vipers, it is a mystery how any man survives long enough to fight a battle. If it had not been for Piccinino I would have defeated Carmagnola. I thought his fear of the Duke would outweigh his hatred of me. It may prove a fatal mistake. At least I was saved from complete destruction by our host in this fair city.


FIA.

And how is the Duchess tonight?


SFORZA.

She was well the last time I saw her.


FIA.

Have you slept with her yet?


SFORZA.

You esteem me so little that you think I sleep with every woman I may meet?


FIA.

You were planning on debauching a child a few minutes ago.


SFORZA.

That’s politics.


FIA.

Is that what it is called these days? Despite your proclivities and recent failures I suppose you could still be useful.


SFORZA.

The protector of Ferrara or just yours?


FIA.

Don’t flatter yourself. Uncle Niccolo would merely require the occasional service.


SFORZA.

And you?


FIA.

Think of me as a loving sister.


SFORZA.

The ease with which one gains relatives it’s a pity one cannot shed them as fast.


FIA.

In the end I’m sure you’ll try. Cosimo Medici is here and would speak with you.


SFORZA.

I heard he is somewhat ill-fated at the moment.


FIA.

The situation in Florence will change again. Will you not consider it?


SFORZA.

Do I have that luxury? I presume the Duke's men are coming for me?


FIA.

Yes.


SFORZA.

How many?


FIA.

Does it matter? The charge will be treason. Join the Medici, and like Carmagnola you salvage something. In time, who knows?


A knock on chamber door is heard.


SFORZA.

They are early?


FIA.

Not that early, it will be Cosimo, don't worry, you will like him. Trust me.

SFORZA.

That is hardly a recommendation.


FIA opens door. Enter COSIMO with a book.


FIA.

Count Francesco, may I introduce Cosimo de Medici.


COSIMO.

Call me Cosimo. Forgive the lateness of the hour but I sometimes find people are reluctant to meet me because of my profession. For some people coming face-to-face with their banker is much like meeting their priest. It reminds them of their misdeeds. Fiammetta here has been singing your praises for some time and now that I meet you I see I stand poorly in comparison.


FIA.

My dear Cosimo, in all truth, physically you are no beauty, and as for your voice.


COSIMO.

It does not please?


FIA.

You sing not with the angels my love.


COSIMO.

Well that’s a relief.


FIA.

I will leave you boys to become acquainted.


Exit FIA


COSIMO.

I see you two have become close.


SFORZA.

She is a d’Este, we are never going to be that close. And call me Francesco.


COSIMO.

Then I think you should find yourself a good woman.


SFORZA.

Is there such a creature or do you have someone in mind?


COSIMO.

From her letters there is someone who has you very much in her mind. But that is a matter for later. A present from Rome. (Hands over book.) Aristotle. It's the latest translation.


SFORZA.

From Rome?


COSIMO.

The pope would be you friend.


SFORZA.

Father used to say the papacy was a cesspit of vice and simony and that was on a good day. The pope would seem a friend to any that can profit him and then having squeezed them dry, would turn against them.


COSIMO.

The pope would offer you the world. If you would help against Alfonso.


SFORZA.

Some might argue that he should not concern himself with such worldly matters.


COSIMO.

Well, I promised him I would try. Nevertheless keep the book. Florence well remembers your father, we know talent when we see it, we even awarded him a pension I believe. Most condottiere find service with us to be most congenial, true we seldom achieve anything but at least our failures are honourable. In some respects Florence is a reflection of the divine, and thus too fine a city for the Almighty to let it fall to a man's ambition. No matter how talented the man may be. If you take my meaning?


SFORZA.

I believe I do.


COSIMO.

Then my dear Francesco you will be wondering what my intentions are?


SFORZA.

It had crossed my mind you would be asking for something.


COSIMO.

I ask nothing of you that you would not freely give. (Laughs at a disbelieving SFORZA.) Francesco, over the years my profession has brought me into contact with many different men and you do not strike me as one who can be bought.


SFORZA.

I am a condottiere; by definition I can be bought.


COSIMO.

A contradiction I grant you, the first of many I think.


SFORZA.

I believe you esteem me too highly.


COSIMO.

Even in defeat your father’s credit was good, as now is yours. As a banker I make a study of such things.


SFORZA.

I am, but a simple soldier, said by many to be little more than a peasant.


COSIMO.

You should hear the names people call me. If only we bankers ran the world life would be so much easier. But for now we speak of you. You are a soldier who dreams of peace, a second contradiction.


SFORZA.

Peace would be bad for the family business.


COSIMO.

But your business is to become Duke of Milan, after all someone has to be. You know I can help, and also that I may prove willing. I am not the only one making enquiries.


SFORZA.

Suppose all you say is true. Why gamble your florins on me, the odds are against?


COSIMO.

Because if all you desire be possible, then I believe you are the man to achieve it. And I admit it would be nice to be on the winning side for once.


SFORZA.

As I am somewhat pressed for time, let us come to terms.


COSIMO.

In the short term. Do not run, that was Carmagnola's mistake. Stay and face the wrath of the Duke. Your many relatives and my money will keep you army loyal and a loyal army will keep you alive. The Duke will keep you under lock and key until he has need of you again.


SFORZA.

In the long term?


COSIMO.

If you wish to be the Duke of Milan you will have to come to terms with the lady Bianca.


Lights Down



© 2018 apj1465


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
Added on May 27, 2018
Last Updated on June 2, 2018
Tags: play, history, sforza, milan


Author

apj1465
apj1465

Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom



Writing
The Job The Job

A Story by apj1465


Laura Laura

A Story by apj1465