Act 2 Scene 12.

Act 2 Scene 12.

A Chapter by apj1465
"

A peace treaty and a murder.

"

SCENE 12


(Lodi. ALFONSO, VENICE to one side, SFORZA, BIANCA, COSIMO to the other.)


VENICE.

Your terms, (with emphasis) Count Francesco?


SFORZA.

Milan does not seek terms. It is for you to offer them.


VENICE.

We demand all our places be restored to us.


SFORZA.

And what else?


VISCONTI.

Cremona.


SFORZA.

(turns to BIANCA) And what says the Lord of Cremona?


BIANCA.

Cremona will not yield to the likes of him.


VENICE.

You will rue those words Madam when our army is at your gates.


BIANCA.

You tried once before and all the world knows, you came second to a woman. I marvel that you did not die of the disgrace.


VENICE.

Cremona will be ours.


SFORZA.

(to Bianca) Do you wish it so?


BIANCA.

I will burn Cremona to the ground before I yield it to Venice.


SFORZA.

You have your answer.


VENICE.

Cremona will comply or it is war.


BIANCA.

A man should know when he is beaten. Come my lord, with what will you fight? If memory serves you lost the last war you started.


VENICE.

The resources of Venice are beyond imagining.


BIANCA.

But less than those of the King of France, for the moment my lord and husband keeps them upon a tight leash, but even his patience has a limit, you would do well to think upon it.


VENICE.

Is Venice to be lectured by a woman?


SFORZA.

The Duke of Milan has profited from the experience.


VENICE.

And what of Florence?

.

COSIMO.

Venice is a great and noble power, but like all things, her power is not infinite and is considered by those who make a study of such things to be judged inferior to that of Milan and Florence combined. Do not believe what your spies may tell you. Like all spies, they play you false. They take your money and tell you what you want to hear, otherwise you would cease payment. You have achieved little, you hold little, your resources exhaust themselves. Florence would ask why you continue to waste your strength against the greatest soldier of the age?


VENICE.

Duke Francesco, what do you require of us?


SFORZA.

All territory that was part of the Visconti inheritance to be restored. In addition, Bergamano, Brescia and Crema.


VENICE.

Your terms are outrageous.


BIANCA.

They are both just and lawful, as the heir of the Visconti all my husband seeks is the restoration of the lands that belonged to my father and reasonable compensation.


VENICE.

I will consult.


Exit VENICE.


COSIMO.

Ask for the impossible, aim for the probable and settle for what you can live with.


ALFONSO.

What will you leave them with?


SFORZA.

Crema, it's a nice place.


ALFONSO.

But not much for all the years of effort.


SFORZA.

They will learn to live with it.


ALFONSO.

I have always regarded you as an upstart adventurer who more by luck and chance has attained a success unjustified by either ability or talent; like your father, but with more polish.


SFORZA.

There are many who would agree with you.


ALFONSO.

But they grow less each year. So, Duke of Milan you remain.


SFORZA.

Milan has no perpetual enemies.


ALFONSO

And what of the Duke of Milan personally?


SFORZA.

My father always said that a man should never dwell on the past; instead he should look to the future and all that it may offer. The future of the Sforza is in Milan and that is why I am willing to renounce, now and forever, all claims to fiefs in your kingdom once held by my father and I.


ALFONSO.

I confess I have misjudged you Duke Francesco and I am not unmindful as to what your renunciation has cost you personally. It is said that a statesman must place his people above self, if that be correct, then you have the making of the greatest statesman of the age. Though our lands now be too distant for any cause of complaint to arise between us, there is one matter that we must consider.


SFORZA.

The French and how to keep them out of Italy, for once they are in, they will be the death of us all. The powers of Italy must unite together in a bond of eternal peace and so order the affairs of Italy between themselves that the French shall have no cause or opportunity to interfere.


ALFONSO.

So be it.


BIANCA.

Then I propose we seal our agreement with a marriage. My daughter Ippolita to your grandson. We can talk about the details in private.


Exit ALFONSO and BIANCA.


SFORZA.

We have peace.


COSIMO.

You don't look very happy about it.


SFORZA.

The family firm has just gone out of business.


COSIMO.

Here's to retirement. I heard you could have been a king.


SFORZA.

I am content. Not even His Holiness will move me.


COSIMO.

Yes, I had heard he had written to you, begging for your aid.


SFORZA.

I told the Pope I was not interested in his schemes.


COSIMO.

I heard that as well. He is unhappy which I feel may prove to be a terminal complaint, but never mind, the next Pope will be a good man and he will forgive you.


SFORZA.

You seem very sure about that?


COSIMO.

I heard it in my prayers. There remains one matter between Florence and Milan.


SFORZA.

Genoa. Long has this city been a source of disharmony between the states of Italy and I desire to remove said disharmony to the public good,


COSIMO.

The French, both King and son, will have opinions.


SFORZA.

I will write to them.


COSIMO.

You know how concerned Bianca and I become when you send letters out without our first having a chance to clarify any matters.


SFORZA.

I know what I want to say and I am capable of expressing myself plainly for all men to understand.


COSIMO.

That's what concerns us.


SFORZA.

I shall be writing to let the King know that I hold him in such honour and reverence as if he were my own father and lord.


COSIMO.

Not so bad.


SFORZA.

And that neither the prospect of advantage or loss to myself nor respect for the wishes of the King should induce me to relinquish the path I have taken.


COSIMO.

Written with finesse as always. Let me have a look at the final draft before you send it.


Enter ALESS and FIA holding hands.


They seem to be getting on well. A wedding perhaps?


SFORZA.

A mistress who becomes a sister. Certainly a novelty.


COSIMO.

I am sure the Sforza will work something out in their own unique way.


Enter BIANCA carrying a cross and chain.


BIANCA.

A present from Alfonso he thought I might have a use for it. He is preparing to leave and would like to see you all before he goes.


SFORZA.

Come let us say farewell to a King.


Exit COSIMO, SFORZA and ALESS, FIA waves them off.



BIANCA.

(comes up behind her holding chain and cross. ) Alessandro's very handsome.


FIA.

Yes he is, isn't he.


BIANCA.

I'm almost jealous. It is good you helped him over the death of his wife. You were with her when she died?


FIA.

(still looking into the distance.) Yes.


BIANCA.

That's what I heard.


Strangles FIA with the cross and chain. FIA falls dead. BIANCA puts the cross on.


Enter SFORZA.


SFORZA.

What has happened here?


BIANCA.

The Almighty has, in his infinite grace and wisdom, called our dearest sister Fiammetta to him. It was the falling sickness. (Shakes head.) Her last words were to you, to remember what once was, and for what was to come, she commanded that we live our lives, with love and hope. Beloved sister and friend, she was a most precious jewel and her loss is beyond estimation and comprehension. Of consolations, there are few, save that once she lived and for a brief moment we knew and loved her.


SFORZA.

The falling sickness? She was well a few moments ago.


BIANCA.

It was very sudden.


SFORZA.

Did she suffer?


BIANCA.

Terribly.


SFORZA.

(long pause then places cloak over body) I suppose one learns to be philosophical about such things.


BIANCA.

Now that I have you all to myself. I feel we should do more together.


SFORZA.

Like the gardening?


BIANCA.

I was thinking something religious.


SFORZA.

If you want to become a nun, I wouldn't stand in your way.


BIANCA.

I never doubted it. But I was think more on the lines of a building.


SFORZA.

A small chapel to set against my sins?


BIANCA.

I was thinking something larger.


SFORZA.

How large?


BIANCA.

A cathedral.


SFORZA.

Sounds expensive and I'm not sure my sins were ever that great.


BIANCA.

That depends on your point of view. It will give you something to do in your declining years.


SFORZA.

And keep me out of mischief?


BIANCA.

Which reminds me I have received a delegation from some of our leading citizens.


SFORZA.

Oh yes, and what do our good people want?


BIANCA.

They want to honour your ‘greatness’ a statue of the Duke on his horse has been the suggestion. Be assured my husband I will give the matter my person attention.


SFORZA.

When a prudent prince chooses a wife, he is under the most sincere obligation to choose a woman who is both virtuous and capable. For a prince to do otherwise, and choose a woman who is virtuous but not capable, will reveal much about his character. It will say to the world, the prince is so enamoured of what is commonly esteemed in a woman that he will abandon prudence and common sense leading to the inevitable diminishment of his estate. Whereas a woman who is capable, but not virtuous leaves a prince in peril, particularly if the wife is of the opinion she is more capable than her husband.


BIANCA.

And if a prince is so unfortunate that he chooses a woman neither capable nor virtuous?


SFORZA.

Then he gets what he deserves.


BIANCA.

Then my loving husband give thanks to the Almighty that your wife is both virtuous and capable, so ordering your affairs and managing your household with prudence and diligence.


SFORZA.

Your loving words are a source of great comfort to me. I am confident that I will live a long life and die in my bed.


BIANCA.

I am the most loyal and compliant of wives, and I will dedicate the rest of my life to the comfort of my husband and the prosperity of his affairs. And I will make certain it is my bed you will die in.


CURTAIN.



© 2018 apj1465


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on August 26, 2018
Last Updated on August 26, 2018
Tags: Sforza, visconti, milan, bianca, play, history, italy


Author

apj1465
apj1465

Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom



Writing
The Job The Job

A Story by apj1465


Laura Laura

A Story by apj1465