Scene 6

Scene 6

A Chapter by apj1465

SCENE 6


(Audience chamber. BIANCA and FIA are looking out of a window. PICC enters.)

PICC.

My lady.


BIANCA.

You are here because?


PICC.

Your father would remind you that you are to be married and asks you to show due deference to your intended.


BIANCA.

I am promised, there’s a difference.


FIA.

It is still an evil bargain.


BIANCA.

True, but as I seem to be unable to rely upon the men of the house, it would seem I have no choice but to prostitute myself before worldly ambition. Tell my father I know my station in life. You may go.


Exit PICC.


FIA.

You don’t like him very much? Is it wise to provoke your father’s Captain General?


BIANCA.

That position is still not decided. In the meantime he will do as he is told. He is afraid of my father. Everyone is afraid of father.


FIA.

Except Sforza.


BIANCA.

Except Sforza. He is here for a reason. He knows father will never honour his promises, he has a stratagem. Find out what it is. (begins to write) Like all things a conspiracy begins in the imagination, a thought, a feeling, a whisper in the night. Fortune sealed with a kiss. Give this to Sforza. (Hands over letter.) His hand, and no other.


FIA.

If he should question the provenance?


BIANCA.

How does a woman convince a man? It should not prove too onerous a duty; it is not as if it would be the first time.


FIA.

I think you will give Sforza a run for his money.


BIANCA.

It is of no account. When did a lover last gaze into a woman’s eyes and ask for an opinion on the ethics of Aristotle? Your payment?


FIA.

In Ferrara there is a rumour.


BIANCA.

Another rumour?


FIA.

It is one of the things that Ferrara is famous for; the rumour, about a certain Lord Torcello. We would like to know what happened to him?


BIANCA.

To your agent? Father had him marbled in a vault somewhere.


FIA.

Pity.


BIANCA. They say the very earth wept at his passing.


FIA.

Someone was well paid.


BIANCA.

Father always knows how to get good service for his money.


Enter VISCONTI reading an astrology chart.


VISCONTI.

He says the stars are in conjunction but I do not see it.


BIANCA.

You are talking to yourself again father.


VISCONTI.

It is a family affliction. One of our minor ones I am pleased to say. Well what are you two fine young ladies doing?


BIANCA.

Plotting. Who we love, who we hate, as I keep telling you father, it’s either that or the needlework.


VISCONTI.

Dear Fiammetta how fares Ferrara?


FIA.

It pales before the magnificence of Milan my lord.


VISCONTI.

Ferrara trains its daughters well. My love to your uncle.

Exit FIA.


Nice girl.


BIANCA.

I expect we will have to dispense with her services sooner rather than later.


VISCONTI.

I couldn't put it better myself. Have you written your letter to Sforza yet?


BIANCA.

Yes.


VISCONTI.

And the contents are as we agreed?


BIANCA.

Of course father. So, father, do the stars favour us today?


VISCONTI.

Barofaldi says they do and as the Court Astrologer he should know.


BIANCA.

Father why do your place your faith in such things?


VISCONTI.

My child, when you look to the heavens seek not God, but true knowledge of the stars, for they will allow you to discern patterns in the affairs of men. After all, when a prince's life hangs by a thread who can blame him for the search?


BIANCA.

Someone could manipulate your interest to their own advantage.


VISCONTI.

You have someone in mind?


BIANCA.

I merely offer it as an observation.


VISCONTI.

No one would dare.


BIANCA.

So. (Pauses.) Piccinino was here.


VISCONTI.

I hope you were nice to him.


BIANCA.

As always father.


VISCONTI.

Well, he probably deserved whatever you did to him. But remember my daughter we need him, he is loyal and he wins battles.


BIANCA.

Sforza is better and he wins more. And you still intend me to marry him?


VISCONTI.

As God did not see fit to bless me with sons, only you my dear daughter, it would seem neither of us has a choice. Besides you have only been promised.


BIANCA.

Before God.


VISCONTI.

The pope will absolve me. After all, he is a family friend. Stop scowling at me daughter. It mystifies me where you get such a look?


BIANCA.

Have you looked to your mirror lately?


VISCONTI.

You will honour your intended?


BIANCA.

My heart is all a flutter for his arrival. Sforza must know you won’t keep your promises. Even now he might change his mind.


VISCONTI.

I have offered him safe conduct.


BIANCA.

Father. The last time you did that you threw him in prison.


VISCONTI.

Well, he came to no harm and I did let him out.


BIANCA. Eventually.


VISCONTI.

The pope has guaranteed his personal safety.


BIANCA.

I am sure he rests easy at the thought, the pope being a family friend and all. He will ask what’s in it for him?


VISCONTI.

Is not marriage to my daughter honour enough? Perhaps not. I will tell him I intend to make him my successor. That is what he really wants to hear.


BIANCA.

Duke? That is something worth playing the game for. He won’t believe you, but he won’t be able to resist. Very good father.


VISCONTI.

I am glad you approve daughter.


Enter FIA, PICC, PERSICCO, ALFONSO and SFORZA who kneels before VISCONTI.


SFORZA.

Most noble and revered father, you now prevail against those who would oppose your will. Venice is humbled and the man who betrayed your generosity and goodwill answers now to a higher authority for his sins. Let the world know that the Almighty has judged the justice of your cause and found it true. And to those base cowards who say that I conquer for my own vanity and not for the greater glory of Milan, I answer thus. In this very room, you yourself gave me the emblem of the Dukes of Milan to carry as my standard. That is the emblem before which your enemies fled. That is the emblem that now flies over the strong places of Lucca. Before Almighty God and those here present, I swear that all has been done, has been done for Milan. I am, and will always remain, your most devoted and obedient servant.


VISCONTI .

My son, you have given an example of the truth of a proverb that has now become trite. It is said that one person may be so often told by everybody that he has no nose, that he will distrust himself, and put his hand to feel, as if in doubt whether he really had one or not. Thus, though we have never really doubted your fidelity, courtesy, and the sincerity of your intentions, we merely put you on trial that we might be able to reply to the insinuations of your enemies. We have acted in this manner, that others might be as well acquainted with your innocency and virtues as we are.


Exit ALFONSO, PERSICCO, PICC.


VISCONTI.

You are well Count Francesco?


SFORZA.

Some slight tiredness my lord.


VISCONTI.

We had heard you had injured your shoulder on the way here?


BIANCA.

There were rumours are of an assassin?


SFORZA.

He was a Frenchman, named Legarde, hired by someone out of Paris. Alessandro hunted him down and was all for hanging on the spot, but I gave him a hundred florins.


BIANCA.

He still lives?


VISCONTI.

(looks to BIANCA) For the moment anyway. Daughter, some wine for the Count.


SFORZA.

The dress suits you.


BIANCA.

I am sure I will look better in black.


VISCONTI.

I am pleased that you are getting on so well.


SFORZA.

Henceforth, the fair Bianca will ever be in my thoughts.


VISCONTI.

As you will be in hers, I am sure. And speaking of thoughts, you are ever in mine.


SFORZA.

That pleases me my lord.


VISCONTI.

I feel in a way that you and I are kindred spirits. The death of our fathers has forced both of us to make our way alone in the world. And like a father I am concerned for your future.


SFORZA.

I exist to serve.


VISCONTI.

Venice will want you to replace Carmagnola. If they haven’t offered then they soon will. In the meantime perhaps I could make you an offer?


SFORZA.

I am always open to a good offer.


VISCONTI.

General of my armies and my most loyal friend.


SFORZA.

You have a vacancy, amongst your friends?


VISCONTI.

Not yet, but I am sure something could be arranged.


SFORZA.

Piccinino will not like it.


VISCONTI.

Of course not. It is shocking the way he is going to be treated.


SFORZA.

There might be consequences.


VISCONTI.

I don't expect you will lose any sleep over it. And a hundred thousand florins a year.


SFORZA.

My lord have you really brought me all this way to offer me a few coins?


VISCONTI.

It is a lot of money and you do have a lot of mouths to feed.


BIANCA.

And growing every nine months I hear.


SFORZA.

(ignoring BIANCA) Venice will offer more. A lot more.


VISCONTI.

It is true that Venice can always offer more, but do you really want to spend your life bowing and scraping to a bunch of merchants?


SFORZA.

What do you propose?


VISCONTI.

A new banner bearing the Visconti and Sforza coats of arms, for you to carry into battle. Bianca has volunteered to do the stitching herself.


BIANCA.

It’s my second best occupation.


SFORZA.

Most generous.


VISCONTI.

And I will make you the lord of three-

FIA coughs.


four cities.


BIANCA.

You love of obscure detail is well known Count Francesco, the paperwork alone could keep you happy for years. You may even find time to build a church or two.


SFORZA.

A tempting offer.


VISCONTI.

You are still undecided?


BIANCA.

(hands SFORZA a cup of wine) To virtue, a chalice of my love.


SFORZA.

My lord, to you must fall the honour of the first drink. (Hands VISCONTI the cup.)


BIANCA.

Father, you know your doctors have said no wine before dinner.(Snatches the cup back and discretely pours the contents away.)


VISCONTI.

My children it pleases me that you are both so solicitous of my health.


BIANCA.

We think of nothing else father.


SFORZA.

(to BIANCA) I hope this isn’t going to become a habit, it isn’t the sort of thing one expects from a loyal wife.


BIANCA.

You deserved it.


SFORZA.

No doubt you say that about all your victims.


BIANCA.

Your arrogance is unbearable.


SFORZA.

And one day your pride will be the death of someone.


BIANCA.

Nobodies perfect.


VISCONTI.

You could almost be married.


BIANCA.

I’d sooner hack of his ring than kiss it.


VISCONTI.

It is the destiny of a girl to be married according to her father’s will.


BIANCA.

(points at FIA) I’d rather marry her!


FIA.

We are very broad minded in Ferrara, perhaps something could be arranged.


BIANCA.

He is an old man.


SFORZA.

Seasoned.


VISCONTI.

You will do as you are told Bianca.


BIANCA.

Father, it is only fitting that the man who marries your most humble and obedient daughter should be both virtuous and free of any other romantic entanglements.


VISCONTI.

Quite so daughter.


SFORZA.

(looks to FIA). Agreed.


FIA.

You said you loved me! Did that not mean anything to you?


SFORZA.

An echo. Simply a reminder of something mildly pleasant a long time ago.


BIANCA.

The blasphemy of love.


VISCONTI.

Francesco, I am a poor man, but what little I have, I value. I am the last of my line. After me, well, there is only Bianca. I have no son to succeed me. Even if I did, could he prevail against the forces of ambitious men? When father died the condottiere played the game for their own ends and tore the Duchy apart. It was a time of chaos where no man could prosper and no woman or child was safe. I spent over ten years repairing the damage they did. I thought I had found a friend in my labours. I raised Carmagnola from nothing and gave him everything and he still betrayed me. Tell me Francesco; is it naïve of me to believe of the best of a man? Tell me, is it wrong of me to fear that the evil times of my youth will return? You are the best of men Francesco, everyone says so. No, do not be modest my son. I call you my son, for the love and affection that I have for you, is that of a father for a son. And it is with a father’s pride that I hear of your achievements and it is with a father’s worry that I hear of your perils. What father could wish for a finer son? Your strength of arms is legend. Your word is a like a sacred trust once given never to be broken. When God wills it, I will die content in the knowledge that the safety and harmony of my estate lies secure in your hands.


SFORZA.

You will put your name to the marriage contract?


VISCONTI.

A mere formality. And for you future, perhaps I could offer you a position?


SFORZA.

Such as?


VISCONTI.

Governor of Genoa perhaps?


SFORZA.

Like Carmagnola? I think not.


VISCONTI.

To the south perhaps? The good people of Ancona have petitioned me to save them from the pope's legate, by all accounts a thoroughly vile man whose character disgraces even the Holy See. Perhaps you might like to save them?


SFORZA.

Under my own colours.


VISCONTI.

I would not have it any other way. So that there are no future misunderstandings I ask that you will confine your activities to south of the river Po.


SFORZA.

My lord.


SFORZA bows and Exit.


VISCONTI.

Bianca.


BIANCA.

Yes father?


VISCONTI.

Tell Piccinino to prepare an army to march south. Are any other of the Bracceschi available?


FIA.

The nephew, Fortebraccio is looking for a contract.


VISCONTI.

Send a message to him to join Piccinino. Both armies are to fight under their own colours.


BIANCA.

For or against Sforza?


VISCONTI.

Against.


Lights Down



© 2018 apj1465


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

64 Views
Added on June 2, 2018
Last Updated on June 2, 2018


Author

apj1465
apj1465

Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom



Writing
The Job The Job

A Story by apj1465


Laura Laura

A Story by apj1465