Act 2 Scene 5

Act 2 Scene 5

A Chapter by apj1465
"

The Ambrosian Republic.

"


SCENE 5


(Sforza's camp before Milan. SFORZA hands a ring to ALESS who examines it.)


ALESS.

He is dead then.


SFORZA.

And all is chaos in Milan. Alfonso's produced a will and says all is his. But it is all for nought, for the people have proclaimed the Ambrosian Republic. They even have a committee with Persicco at its head. He's told everyone that all will be well once they had dealt with the viper in their midst. It leaves little to the imagination to wonder whom he might have in mind.


ALESS.

How is Bianca taking it?


SFORZA.

Badly. But I have always believed that you must live in the times as they are and not as you may wish them to be, to do otherwise, is to create a state of affairs where illusion and wishful thinking cloud right action and common sense.


ALESS.

By Christ its hot. A man could go mad in this heat. I will get some water.


Exit ALESS, Enter BIANCA.


BIANCA.

Why do we stand here? Through me you are the Duke. There is no better claim.


SFORZA.

I do not deny that I am an ambitious man, but what is to be the cost of that ambition, a war against our own people?


BIANCA.

You expect the mob to lay down palms before your horse? To safeguard that which we love we must first be prepared to hurt it. We are kept from our home by petty clerks and would-be tyrants. You know the Committee is an abomination contrary to the natural order. If history teaches us anything, it teaches that revolutions consume their young creating instead a state more unjust and more oppressive than that which it sought to displace. If you do nothing, you spare the few to your ambition, but condemn the many to untold suffering and in the end it will be for nothing. The Committee and the Sforza are natural enemies it will only be a matter of time before one moves against the other. Give the order or you throw it all away.


SFORZA.

When the tide of events is against you there is nothing to be gained by fighting it. The Ambrosian Republic is unloved and without funds. We must be patient. It is simply a matter of time.


BIANCA.

That sounds like Cosimo talking?


SFORZA.

As you read all my correspondence you already know the answer to that.


BIANCA.

It's the only way I know what you are plotting.


SFORZA.

The republic’s only hope is peace. They will send ambassadors to Venice and beg for it, to which the Senate will no doubt smile politely. When your enemy is prostrate before you, why allow him to rise? Venice sees the opportunity to take everything. This leaves the Committee with a problem, the republic has to fight, but its citizens will not, that leaves the condottiere in Milan, but if they are given final authority what will stop them from taking over the republic?


BIANCA.

Just as they did after the death of grandfather. So that leaves you.


SFORZA.

The Committee will send someone to talk.


Enter ALESS with cups.


ALESS.

We have visitors.


Enter PERSICCO and PICC.


PERSICCO.

Count Francesco. We require you to renounce your claim to the lands and properties of the republic.


SFORZA.

There is nothing to renounce, the Duke’s will left everything to Alfonso. As for anything else, the people have spoken and I am their humble servant and will do their bidding.


PICC.

You say you are subordinate to the people and not to the Committee?


PERSICCO.

We will not quibble over details. In the end the will of the people and that of the Committee are one. You give your word you will faithfully serve the people of Milan?


SFORZA.

I do.


PERSICCO.

There remains the matter of your coat of arms.


SFORZA.

I am happy with my coat of arms.


PERSICCO.

You misunderstand, it has the viper in it.


SFORZA.

The viper was quartered with my arms to honour the Duke’s daughter, my wife. I do not see how the people can object, or is the Committee afraid of painted symbols?


PERSICCO.

No.


SFORZA.

Then that item is settled.


PERSICCO.

Very well. The Committee consents to offer you the position of Captain General of the army of the Ambrosian Republic.


SFORZA.

Upon what terms?


PERSICCO.

Similar to those offered by the last of the Visconti.


BIANCA.

You mean Duke Filippo Maria Visconti. My father.


SFORZA.

How do the terms differ?


PICC.

You may not accept any surrender, gift or gratitude of any city in your own name.


SFORZA.

And in return what do you ask of me?


PICC.

That you defend the republic against its enemies.


SFORZA.

Very well. I agree.


Exit PERSICCO and PICC.


ALESS.

It is hard not to laugh at the irony; they would pay you to defend them against their enemies of which they account you the greatest.


SFORZA.

Who says life is not absurd. Prepare the army. We march for Piacenza.


Exit ALESS.


BIANCA.

The coat of arms?


SFORZA.

They link Visconti and the glories of Milan’s past with the name of Sforza.


BIANCA.

You are thinking ahead?


SFORZA.

When I have won the war how will the Committee stop the people proclaiming me Duke of Milan?


BIANCA.

You realise this alliance is at best a marriage of incompatible partners and that even the best of marriages can fail when one of the partners is unfaithful?


SFORZA.

You still want me to march on Milan?


BIANCA.

It is inevitable. I know that your caution and prudence will, in the end, lead us to prevail against our enemies, but I confess, it is hard to resist the urge to strike them down immediately. You have heard what they are doing to the Visconti properties in Milan? Father is scarce in his grave before they plunder his memory. Each day there is news of some new insult. But I will not forget what they do nor will I ever forgive. You will write to Cosimo?


SFORZA.

Knowing Cosimo he will have anticipated their offer and his reply will already be on its way. Speak of the devil.


Enter FIA.


Is this business or pleasure?


FIA.

Call it, the pleasure of business. I have been commissioned to represent the city of Pavia and it is upon their behalf I that I am to say that you are the foremost general of your age and yet skill in war is tempered by a wisdom and mercy that transcends that of ordinary men. Your virtue is the reason that Fortune will never have cause to regret her favour towards you. Pavia is a sister to Milan, not a subject, if Milan is intent on the folly that is the republic, Pavia would rather surrender to Venice than follow into error. Pavia was loyal to the Duke and the family Visconti, never to Milan itself. Of all men, not only are you the most beloved by the people, you are the true heir of the Visconti. That is why, my lord, the city offers itself to you, personally, and to none other.


SFORZA.

I thank you for your kind words. The people of Pavia are well known for both their learning and their generosity of spirit. Whatever else is said about me in the days to come they should know this to be true, the people of Pavia will forever hold a special place in my heart.


FIA.

The people of Pavia do not ask for a decision, all they ask is that you visit them.


SFORZA.

There is no one who could not visit Pavia and not be a better man for it.


Exit FIA


SFORZA.

Was this Cosimo or were you thinking ahead?


BIANCA.

I do not understand my husband?


SFORZA.

Pavia. You know I can't turn down the offer of the city, the arsenal alone could equip at least two armies. But if I don't the Committee will never trust me. Already you're trying to seduce me into being unfaithful to the alliance.


BIANCA.

Me? A mere woman? Having led such a sheltered life at the court of my father what would I know of such things?


Lights Down.



© 2018 apj1465


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
Added on August 16, 2018
Last Updated on August 16, 2018
Tags: Sforza, Milan, play, visconti


Author

apj1465
apj1465

Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom



Writing
The Job The Job

A Story by apj1465


Laura Laura

A Story by apj1465