Sforza - Act 2. Scene 3

Sforza - Act 2. Scene 3

A Chapter by apj1465
"

Sforza buys a city.

"

SCENE 3


(Chamber of Federico. FEDERICO and SFORZA sit either side of a table which has wine on it.)


FEDERICO

This is a meeting a long time coming.


SFORZA

No less welcome for that.


FEDERICO

You do not hold my friendship with Piccinino and my hatred of Sigismond Malatesta against me.


SFORZA

These days, I hold dislike of my son-in-law, to be a virtue.


FEDERICO

(pours them both some wine) And here? Does it concern you to be my house-guest? You have not heard the stories?


SFORZA

Your brother assassinated and then you seize the Lordship of Urbino?


FEDERICO

People have assumed that success in the latter enterprise has been due to my participation in the former.


SFORZA

You ask this of a man who has been twice excommunicated. Perhaps it is I, who should ask whether you would want so infamous a house-guest?


FEDERICO

(hands over wine) Let us drink to poverty and ill-repute.


SFORZA

So what are your plans now that you are now lord of Urbino?


FEDERICO

In truth, I had hoped to find the affairs of Urbino in a more secure state. My council would not wish me to confess weakness to the greatest soldier of the age, but a ruler must face reality. We have no money. So it seems I must fight the wars of other states in order to preserve my own.


SFORZA

There are worse ways to earn a living, so you're looking for a contract?


FEDERICO

You know of one?


SFORZA

Oh, I expect one might turn up.


FEDERICO

But first, there is a matter that may stand between us.


SFORZA

You refer to the letter? It was inevitable the Duke would make some move.


FEDERICO

He is dead?


SFORZA

Bianca employed a Greek, it was quite educational, I can well understand why men write books upon the subject.


FEDERICO

It crossed my mind you may blame me for this.


SFORZA

Because Cosimo is plotting?


FEDERICO

I desire to be his friend, but I desire to be yours more. And I would not wish to come between you.


SFORZA

Cosimo is a realist, he knows the right men have to get mud on their boots.


FEDERICO

How is the Lady Bianca?


SFORZA

Mother and child prosper. She will joining us shortly.


FEDERICO

The Duke must be pleased?


SFORZA

He has given permission for a new banner, his Viper to be quartered with my Lion.


FEDERICO

I had heard as much. A mark of favour. Changing the subject, your brother seems to be standing in the garden holding a flower. And is that not Constanza da Varano with him?


SFORZA

I believe Alessandro met her a couple of years ago and has been pinning for her ever since, much to the amusement of the rest of the family.


FEDERICO

Love would appear to need a helping hand.


SFORZA

The lady is under your protection?


FEDERICO

She is.


SFORZA

And would love find favour?


FEDERICO

There would have to be some provision for her future accommodation. He is without estate at the moment?


SFORZA

He is, but that can be remedied. You have a proposal?


FEDERICO

The city of Pesaro and its land could be transferred to your brother; there could be no objection to your brother’s situation then.


SFORZA

The city is at your disposal?


FEDERICO

As good as. I expect good news from my army within the hour.


SFORZA

How much?


FEDERICO

Forty-five thousand florins.


SFORZA

It’s not worth more than five. And that's before your troops damage the place.


FEDERICO

Forty. And I'll tell my troops to respect your future property.


SFORZA

Its walls will be in a shocking state. Ten.


FEDERICO

Walls? It’s a development opportunity. Thirty-three.


SFORZA

More like a renovation. Fifteen.


FEDERICO

A blank canvas, with a little imagination who knows what could be achieved. Twenty eight.


SFORZA

I am not sure Alessandro has that much imagination. Eighteen.


FEDERICO

Twenty and you pay for the wedding.


SFORZA

Done.


FEDERICO

I will make arrangements.


Exit FEDERICO. SFORZA places feet on chair and drinks some wine. Enter BIANCA waving a piece of paper.


BIANCA

Father has declared war on me! This is the type of conduct that gives parents a bad name. I wonder, when we are older will we embarrass our children like this?


SFORZA

No doubt they will think it so. Your father thinks he can regain the dowry.


BIANCA

Obviously, but Cremona is mine.


SFORZA

Ours my love.


BIANCA

I hold it by legal title.


SFORZA

It is my troops that enforce that title.


BIANCA

Well, it is the least a loving husband can do for his wife. I never expected he would keep his word to you, but this, you are no doubt taking pleasure in this.


SFORZA

(clearly lying) We are one, and to insult you is to insult us both. It's just politics.


BIANCA

(paces about the room) No, this is personal, he is trying to control me, just like always.


SFORZA

One of the differences between Sforza and Visconti is how the Visconti always take things personally.


BIANCA

He would not seek advantage like this if I were a man.


SFORZA

You think your sex deserves some favoured status?


BIANCA

I am his daughter!


SFORZA

You think that counts for anything with your father?


BIANCA

I wish it did, but I know it does not. I swear no daughter of mine will ever be treated thus.


SFORZA

I think any daughter of yours will be more than a match for her poor father. Bianca my love, even the best of families can fall out over property.


BIANCA

I will not allow him to get away with this.


SFORZA

I hope you are not going to keep me up all night with your plotting.


BIANCA

Dearest husband, I would not dream of troubling you with my inconsequential affairs.


SFORZA

What will you do, write to him?


BIANCA

Father has gone too far for that. This is a problem that requires a more permanent solution.


SFORZA

That does not bode well for father.


BIANCA

You have talked to Federico?


SFORZA

I have. For one so young he is surprisingly knowledgeable about the comparisons and relative merits of wrought iron versus whole bronze casting and like me he favours the grouping of canon and culverin into standard sizes.


BIANCA

Which is a subject that you have been known to talk about at inordinate length. At times it's a mystery how we are still married. Did you talk about anything important?


SFORZA

I bought a city. Pesaro.


BIANCA

What with? You don't have any money.


SFORZA

Cosimo has.


BIANCA

Do you really think he will lend you any more?


SFORZA

No, but I am sure he'll lend it to you.


BIANCA

And why should I help you?


SFORZA

Cremona.


BIANCA

That would take an another army. And where you are going to find that pray?


SFORZA

Something tells me that should not be too difficult.


BIANCA

You've employed Federico and his army. It's more money you haven't got.


SFORZA

Then you will have to tell Cosimo that Pesaro cost a lot more than it did.


BIANCA

Fortune and misfortune are different sides of the same coin. Fortune brings us Pesaro and Federico, the reverse will bring Malatesta's treachery. There may be unintended consequences to that.


SFORZA

You and Cosimo have much in common. It's a mystery to me that you did not corresponded more than you say you do.


BIANCA

(pause.) You know my dear husband that as the most dutiful of wives I would never do anything without your knowledge and approval.


SFORZA

You words ever re-assure me. Speaking of Cosimo, he has written to say that he has concluded the sale of what's left of our territory in Ancona.


BIANCA

Francesco. Do you really trust him?


SFORZA

As assuredly as I trust you my most dutiful of wives.


Lights Down.



© 2018 apj1465


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

66 Views
Added on July 17, 2018
Last Updated on July 17, 2018


Author

apj1465
apj1465

Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom



Writing
The Job The Job

A Story by apj1465


Laura Laura

A Story by apj1465