Act 2 Scene 7.

Act 2 Scene 7.

A Chapter by apj1465
"

Battle of Caravaggio. Sforza declares against the republic.

"

SCENE 7


(Field of Caravaggio. MICH and VENICE in armour stand watching a battle.)


VENICE.

What is happening? Do we have him yet? Why is there no news?


MICH.

Be patient.


VENICE.

Patient! Do you know how much this army is costing us per day? Venice expects, no demands, results.


MICH.

The impatience of Venice cost it a fleet at Casalmaggoire when my dear nephew blew it out of the water with his canon.


VENICE.

His actions were contrary to the natural practice of war.


MICH.

Yes, he does seem to make a habit of being perverse. Perhaps, it would be wise to learn from him?


VENICE.

Enough! Commit the reserves.


MICH.

That would be a mistake.


VENICE.

Commit the reserves, that is an order general.


MICH.

So be it. (signals off-stage)


VENICE.

What is happening? A banner. Sforza.


MICH.

What are you doing nephew? I don’t understand. They are circling behind the pikemen. Where are you going?


VENICE.

Sforza has made a mistake. See Marcellus is advancing. We have them. Even the great Sforza must lose a battle. So ends his imperial pretensions and as for the Ambrosian Republic thus ends an aberration of nature. The people of Venice salute you general. General? General are you listening?


MICH.

Clever. They are counter-attacking. Sforza’s leading the attack personally. There! He has come behind Marcellus and taken Braghiello in the flank.


VENICE.

Send more men.


MICH.

There no more men. You committed the reserves. Will they stand? No. Look to the left of the line. His cavalry are leaving Marcellus alone and going to take our men in the rear. It is over.


VENICE.

Over?


MICH.

The day is lost.


VENICE.

It can't be lost. We were winning a moment ago?


MICH.

He was waiting for you to commit the reserves too early.


VENICE.

What is wrong with you all he is just a man?


MICH.

He has become more than a man, he has become a legend. The men won’t fight a legend. I suggest you save yourself while you still can.


VENICE.

We expected great things from you General. Venice will hold you to account for this day.


Exit VENICE. MICH draws sword. Off-stage shouts of 'Uncle!'.


MICH.

My end announces itself. It is time to make such an end that a man may make.


Enter SFORZA, in armour, sword drawn.


SFORZA.

Uncle.


MICH.

Like Alexander you surpass your father.


SFORZA.

I thank you for the flattery but it is not necessary. Your life is quite safe.


MICH.

It is no flattery to say you are the better man.


SFORZA.

It was closer than it will read. I think your reserves were sent in sooner than you would have liked. The result -.


MICH.

Would have been the same.


SFORZA.

It does not have to end like this.


MICH.

Yes it does, Venice will not forgive. I will not end my days like Carmagnola.


SFORZA.

Venice will honour any request I make.


MICH.

No. Like the Romans of old, this old soldier knows when the end has come. Your father would have been proud.


Salute with swords.  Exit left MICH, Enter right FEDERICO.


SFORZA.

Such is the ingratitude of employers. Report.


FEDERICO.

The Venetian camp has been taken. The men are amusing themselves with the bag and baggage.


SFORZA.

Prisoners?


FEDERICO.

Over ten thousand cavalry, at least three thousand foot and canon of all types. It is the most complete victory in all of Italy. Venice is broken.


SFORZA.

If only words could make it so. It will take them time, but Venice will buy a new army and hire a commander to lead it. There will be one more battle before the end.


FEDERICO.

You should know that Piccinino is saying your glory is down to him in holding Marcellus.


SFORZA.

If it keeps him happy let him have the glory. I will inspect what we have.


Exit SFORZA, FEDERICO, Enter PERSICCO and PICC opposite.


PICC.

They are gone. What news?


PERSICCO.

Already the news spreads like unpleasant rash. He is the hero of the people.


PICC.

He owes the victory to others.


PERSICCO.

So I will stress in my reports but the common people will see victory and the name of Sforza as one and the same.


PICC.

And the Committee?


PERSICCO.

They are not fooled. They know him for what he is, the new Caesar, and like Caesar he seeks to destroy the republic.


PICC.

Then we should strike first.


PERSICCO.

Patience my friend, patience. Already peace offers have been made to Venice. With peace will we have security from Sforza’s tyranny, but he must not be allowed to move on Brescia, if he is able to carry the war onto Venetian territory the Senate will never accept our proposals.


PICC.

It won't work. He will move on Brescia.


PERSICCO.

I will argue otherwise.


PICC.

It will not be enough.


PERSICCO.

That is why you must arrange with the other captains to divide his forces so that Sforza does not have the men to carry through his designs.


Enter SFORZA and FEDERICO.


SFORZA.

Bring in the prisoner.


Enter ALESS with VENICE.


VENICE.

What is the meaning of this? How dare you. I am Venice.


FEDERICO.

You have a somewhat reduced estate.


ALESS.

Minus an entire army.


VENICE.

We have others.


FEDERICO.

We will beat those as well.


SFORZA.

Is Bianca here?


ALESS.

Talking to the camp guards.


VENICE.

(falls to knees) My Lord!!


SFORZA.

Bianca does have that affect on some people. What will she do with you? Pull out your tongue to stop you spreading falsehood or simply rack you? My lord Ambassador be of good cheer. One does not hurt a friend. We are friends?


VENICE.

Yes?


SFORZA.

Good. Well my friends, Quo Vadis?


ALESS.

Brescia, carry the war to Venice.


FEDERICO.

Brescia, they haven’t an army who will stand against us.


PICC.

I disagree, Lodi and Bergamo. We should consolidate the republic’s gains.


SFORZA.

(to PERSICCO) Ambassador, what is your suggestion?


PERSICCO.

Suggestion? I fear you misunderstand general. The republic still commands you to Lodi.


SFORZA.

It commands me?


PERSICCO.

Yes. As Captain General you are responsible to the Committee.


SFORZA.

Which granted me unlimited powers to wage this war as I saw fit?


PERSICCO.

Times change.


SFORZA.

You do not want me to go to Brescia. Why?


PERSICCO.

The Committee regards it as waste of time.


SFORZA.

If I should not go to Lodi?


PERSICCO.

You have no choice. (Takes out letter.) This is an order from the Committee, your extraordinary powers are revoked and you are ordered to Lodi.


SFORZA.

Ordered?


PICC.

They have the right. They are our employers and we must do their bidding.


SFORZA.

And if I refuse?


PERSICCO.

I am instructed to say that if you waste time with Brescia your supplies and subsides will be cut off.


ALESS.

This is an outrage.


SFORZA.

I agree it is unhelpful but Piccinino is correct, under the contract they have the right.


FEDERICO.

Stuff the contract, tear it up and march on Milan.


ALESS.

At the very least withdraw; there is Venice or the Pope.


SFORZA.

No they have dealt fairly with me I will deal fairly with them.


PERSICCO.

Can I tell the Committee you will go Lodi?


Enter BIANCA bearing letter.


SFORZA.

You appear somewhat unhappy and may I ask if that unhappiness is about to engulf anyone in particular?


BIANCA.

He, (pointing at PERISCCO), is playing you false.


SFORZA.

How so?


BIANCA.

This letter, (flourishes the letter), was found on the floor by a soldier in the camp. It bears the seal of the Ambrosian Republic.


PERSICCO.

Such a letter could not just be found in the camp.


SFORZA.

You suggest my wife stole it from your tent?


PERSICCO.

(pause.) No. But if it bears the seal, and if its genuine then it is the property of the republic.


SFORZA. It was found in my camp.


PERSICCO.

As the Ambassador of the Republic it belongs to me.


SFORZA.

You claim it? Very well. And what does it say?


PERSICCO.

It is diplomatic correspondence.


BIANCA.

Surely you have no secrets from the republic’s Captain General?


FEDERICO.

My lady, the contents.


BIANCA.

The Committee has betrayed the army and the people of Milan. They have instructed Brescia to hold out while they make peace proposals to Venice.


PERSICCO.

I can explain.


BIANCA.

Silence!


VENICE.

If I may, such a proposal would appear to be contrary to good faith. Venice may be many things, but it honours its obligations. We did, after all, go to war to protect your marriage portion. We could help again, subject to the Senate’s ratification, the position of Captain General of all our forces would appear to be vacant.


ALESS.

Most generous particularly as you don’t have an army at the moment.


VENICE.

I think we have moved beyond that.


PICC.

We should not do anything out of anger; I could go to Milan to intercede.


BIANCA.

My lord and husband, there can be no room for misunderstanding. All pretence has been dropped. You must claim the dukedom. Honour and prudence demands it.


VENICE.

It is true, I am an interested party here, but Venice does value her friends. You are known as a man who keeps his word and if you will honour our territory, Venice will pay you thirteen thousand florins a month until Milan be conquered.


BIANCA.

In the name of Sforza, as Duke?


VENICE.

Yes.


BIANCA.

And he will keep all the cities and territories that belonged to my father at the time of his death.


VENICE.

Agreed.


PICC.

My lord, if you turn against Milan no one will trust you and all will fear you as they feared the Duke. All will unite in common purpose against you.


FEDERICO.

Claim the dukedom, it is yours by right. History demands it.


PICC.

If you would speak to the Committee, if you explained the situation.


SFORZA.

There is nothing I could say that would move them. Nor do I wish to try. A trust is a most sacred thing and once it has been broken it can never be restored. I must content myself in the knowledge that the Committee is not Milan. It is only a faction, a faction that is consumed by jealousy and the desire for personal gain. They are my enemy and I am theirs. The Sforza have spilt blood for Milan, I personally have had three horses killed from under me. But it is not enough. I have honoured all treaties and commitments. But it is still not enough. They play me false and at every turn they intrigue against me to do my wife and children harm. There is nothing more base then men who seek to advance their position at the expense of those incapable of defending themselves. How should a husband and father protect his family? Prudence requires that I act. By their utter wont of faith and reckless aggrandisement of their own pecuniary interests both contrary and hazardous to the safety and security to the people of Milan so have the Committee driven me to this extremity. Save for my family, I have no greater love than the people of Milan. And it is because of the love I bear them that I have no other alternative. I, Francesco Sforza, husband to Bianca Visconti, lawful successor to Duke Filippo Maria Visconti, hereby renounce all previous alliances and allegiances and claim by right the Dukedom of Milan.


PERSICCO.

The republic will not be dictated to in this manner.


BIANCA.

The republic is an abomination before God and man, even Florence and Venice disown you. My husband claims the dukedom by right of inheritance. He is the lawful heir of my father. You owe to your Duke your loyalty and your obedience. Bow down before your lord and beg for his forgiveness while you still can.


PERSICCO.

We have our allies.


SFORZA.


You stake everything on your alliance with Venice. You think the good ambassador here will betray me once he is free? Well then my friend, mark this. Did Rome tolerate Carthage? I have committed my cause to the justice of the Almighty and God has rendered his verdict on the battlefield. It is madness to oppose the will of God further. And if in gross error you should imperil your immortal souls, who profits from our further suffering? My friend, you are not surrendering to Sforza, instead you are welcoming your lawful Duke and Duchess. For we are the elect of God and through divine favour we will bring peace and prosperity.


PERSICCO.

Never.


SFORZA.

Then I swear, if you do not surrender, nothing short of an extraordinary interposition by the Almighty shall save you from my hand.


Lights Down.



© 2018 apj1465


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

48 Views
Added on August 18, 2018
Last Updated on August 18, 2018
Tags: Sforza, Milan, Visconti, play


Author

apj1465
apj1465

Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom



Writing
The Job The Job

A Story by apj1465


Laura Laura

A Story by apj1465