Act 2 Scene 10.

Act 2 Scene 10.

A Chapter by apj1465
"

Sforza saves the French.

"

SCENE 10


(Louis camp. A wounded LOUIS limps to his throne. Holding a broken sword.)


Enter SFORZA.


SFORZA.

Highness. Piccinino is no more and Genoa asks that I give them terms.


LOUIS.

You live up to your reputation, the Duke of Milan appears and the battle is won.


SFORZA.

You were fighting two armies.


LOUIS.

But you won the battle. I will not forget that. I was equal to one, but surprised and outmatched by the other. You came to my aid just as my men were giving way. Though I suspect my father will not be too pleased, this is at least one general who is very happy to say that he was rescued from disaster and disgrace. I can always use the services of the best soldier in the world. And one day I will be a king.


SFORZA.

Your Highness flatters me.


LOUIS.

No, I do not think I do. I am a student of the affairs of Italy and have some experience in the military arts, so my opinion is not without merit.


SFORZA.

If ever I can be of service to you Highness.


LOUIS.

In the short term a king may not always have the freedom of action he would desire, but in the end he knows who is friends are.


SFORZA.

I think I understand your Highness.


LOUIS.

Yes, I think you do. Though you should know my father does not approve of you. He says you are a man of unlimited ambition.


SFORZA.

While some may consider humility and acceptance of ones position in life to be virtues, there can be no censure of an honest ambition that only seeks opportunity to advance the public good. Money, power and titles are but the vanities that play upon the weakness of the ambitious man. If a man does not constantly guard himself against such things, they will slowly consume the essence of what he is, leading to the inevitable ruin of his character. We live in times that see so much that was once thought lost recovered from the debris of history. Each day we see new wonders wrought by the hand of man, of art, architecture and learning our age has no equal. But of all things our greatest achievement would be peace.


LOUIS.

You seek to impose a universal peace upon this earth and have all Italy live in divine harmony? To impose such terms you must become all-powerful. And like Christ in the wilderness you will be tempted before the end.


SFORZA.

I am not Christ.


LOUIS.

Then who will save you?


SFORZA.

I am more concerned with the here and now.


LOUIS.

Then let us talk of the here and now. What of the army of Venice?


SFORZA.

I sent them a challenge to meet me on the plains of Monte Chiaro. In answer they sent two gauntlets and two javelins dipped in blood, but when I marched to the appointed place, I found an empty plain. They fear to face me in a pitched battle and so I will remain Duke of Milan no matter their desire.


LOUIS.

As I have said, there is little I can offer you. I am an unloved prince, and as my many enemies say, a spider with a very small web. For I have little to do, but wait around for my father to die, a state of affairs not conducive to an equable state of mind.


SFORZA.

I speak not as a Duke to a Prince of France, but as one man to another. In the times ahead, whether your fortunes rise or fall, know that if you ever need my help, against anyone, I will stand with you. (turns to leave)


LOUIS.

Francesco.


SFORZA turns back.


As a Prince of France I am bound by the most solemn of oaths and the severest of constraints, but as Louis the man, I would say to my friend, ride as fast as you can for Cremona.


Lights Down.




© 2018 apj1465


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

46 Views
Added on August 19, 2018
Last Updated on August 19, 2018


Author

apj1465
apj1465

Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom



Writing
The Job The Job

A Story by apj1465


Laura Laura

A Story by apj1465