Scene 9

Scene 9

A Chapter by apj1465

SCENE 9


(Camp of Sforza. VENICE and SFORZA are facing each other.)

VENICE.

Janus! You proclaim your loyalty, take our money and then do precisely nothing. You are revealed for what you really are. A false friend! Another Carmagnola!


SFORZA.

Do not presume to lecture me on my obligations to Venice. It is you who promise and do not deliver. Shall I ask the clerk to tally how much Venice is in arrears? We do your bidding and what do we get in return? Nothing.


VENICE.

You will be paid.


SFORZA.

When?


VENICE.

When you go north of the Po.


SFORZA.

You have already been informed of my answer.


VENICE.

Because you gave your word to the Duke?


SFORZA.

Some believe that a man's word is little more that an artificial construct, more of an idealised form of conduct which presumes no real world impediments. And where such impediments do exist, a breach only deserves censure where there is malice. But others believe that when you give it, you are pledging the very essence of who you are, and you break it at peril of your immortal soul.


VENICE.

What of your word to the republic?


SFORZA.

My word to the Duke pre-dates my word to the republic.


VENICE.

It is treachery.


SFORZA.

Not so. I gave my word on condition that I would not be asked to go north of the Po. You knew this.


VENICE.

The Senate will be looking for a new commander.


SFORZA.

Another one? After Carmagnola you begin to get a reputation. I believe we are done.


Exit VENICE, Enter ALESS.


You heard?


ALESS.

I think the whole camp heard, I wouldn’t go to Venice any time soon.


SFORZA.

They will calm down. As father always told us, never get emotional about business. Particularly when you dance with Fortune upon a knife edge. At least the Duke has written to me, he says all outstanding matters are concluded and therefore proposes a general peace, he also wants the wedding to take place as soon as we can make arrangements in Ancona. I have asked Cosimo to join us here.


ALESS.

As you always like to ask him for money in person.


SFORZA.

Something like that.


Enter COSIMO.

COSIMO.

Have you heard yet?


SFORZA.

Peace and there's my wedding to be arranged.


COSIMO.

Not so, one moment a peace, the next, Venice stands as if in water up to her throat and is almost ruined.


SFORZA.

How so?


COSIMO.

The Duke ignored the usual forms and has attacked without warning. Verona awoke to a blockade, while Brescia was overrun before anyone knew what had happened. I have ridden night and day. From all over, follows news of Venetian defeats. The Senate begs for your help before Piccinino takes the city.


SFORZA.

And the Duke?


COSIMO.

He has no need of a wedding. You have to choose sides and quickly.


SFORZA.

I have dealt honourably with the Duke, but he had taken this for a sign of weakness. Well if friendship be spurned then it is a time for fear. Inform Venice I will save them but I am to be recognised as the Duke’s lawful successor, married or not.


EXIT COSIMO and ALESS, SFORZA tears down the emblem of the Duke, draws his sword.


I swear that I will hunt down the Duke's generals and destroy them one by one.


Enter FIA behind SFORZA.


And as for Piccinino -


FIA.

Were you talking to yourself? In truth you grow more like the Duke each day.


SFORZA.

I have been expecting you.


FIA.

How did you know I would come?


SFORZA.

Somehow you have heard my army must cross the Po. Now comes the offer.


FIA.

But what makes you think I have an offer?


SFORZA.

The Duke will have anticipated this possibility.


FIA.

You’re so clever it is what I like about you.


SFORZA.

Not my boyish good looks?


FIA.

They went a few years ago I hadn’t the heart to tell you.


SFORZA.

Well my love?


FIA.

Deep breath, Bianca is to be married to Lionel d’Este. (Pause.) You don’t seem surprised?


SFORZA.

That the Visconti are plotting something is hardly news. Intrigue to the Visconti is like poetry to other families, something to be worked at until it becomes aesthetically pleasing.


FIA.

Bianca is in Ferrara as we speak.


SFORZA.

I am not surprised.


FIA.

Really? And it doesn’t bother you? Francesco, she really is there.


SFORZA.

I don’t doubt she’s there, I don’t doubt she’s being offered, it’s just not going to happen. The Duke would never really go through with it and even if I were wrong in this, dear Uncle Niccolo would never agree to the match.


FIA.

Because of what you would do to Ferrara if he did. Uncle Niccolo has already guessed as much. Nevertheless the Duke is willing to make concessions.


SFORZA.

Of that I have no doubt.


FIA.

The Duke believes that it is time you were married.


SFORZA.

I have heard that before.


FIA.

Boundaries as per the start of the war.


SFORZA.

Why should Venice agree?


FIA.

Venice survives, everyone else gets peace.


SFORZA.

And what else?


FIA.

Besides the bride you get an unassailable claim to an intact inheritance.


SFORZA.

I already have all that in writing.


FIA.

He really means it this time.


SFORZA.

Some might believe that the Duke is trying to detach me from my loyalty to the republics. He seeks to create suspicion in their eyes; he would have them believe that I am playing them false like Carmagnola. And when they have me in their power. No more Sforza.


FIA.

You always did have a tendency to over-complicate matters. Do you agree?


SFORZA.

With modification. Visconti will propose that I act as arbiter.


FIA.

And the arbiter gets to draft the treaty. But why?


SFORZA.

The execution of the marriage contract will be the first term of the treaty.


FIA.

No ones going to like that.


SFORZA.

I don't expect they will


FIA.

Agreed. I wonder who is going to tell Piccinino that he has just lost the war? Is there anything else?


SFORZA.

I will take a copy of the proposals to Venice.


FIA.

You’re more careful than you used to be.


SFORZA.

I have further to fall.


Lights Down.



© 2018 apj1465


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on June 2, 2018
Last Updated on June 2, 2018


Author

apj1465
apj1465

Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom



Writing
The Job The Job

A Story by apj1465


Laura Laura

A Story by apj1465