Scene 5

Scene 5

A Chapter by apj1465

SCENE 5


(Sforza's camp. SFORZA is cleaning his sword.)


(Enter ALESS)


SFORZA.

How does he seem?


ALESS.

Like a man who desperately wants the love of his Prince but knows he will never have it.


SFORZA.

That's what happens when you get too attached to your employer.


ALESS.

Venice has witnessed her army crushed and the greatest condottiere of the age humbled, all at your hand, his alleged inferior. They will not be happy.


SFORZA.

I fear they will give him every distinction and when he is completely within their power, they will cut off his head.


Enter CAR, Exit ALESS.


CAR.

Young Sforza, you are every inch the general I imagined you to be. I have been following your career for years, beating Braccio indeed, most impressive. And now you have had the better of me here at Lucca,


SFORZA.

I am but a student when compared to you. My father always called you the most able general of the age.


CAR.

He said that?


SFORZA.

He did. Talent always acknowledges itself; it is only the mediocre who belittle.


CAR.

I met your father once, a good man. Straight as they come. You look a lot like him. (Rubs knee) Too many years spent in the field.


SFORZA.

Father used the brown oil he said it helped. I will ask that they get you some.


CAR.

I would be grateful. Visconti is certain to choose you as his Captain General.


SFORZA.

I could never replace you general. I am, but one of many.


CAR.

Still I wonder if you have made a good career move. I have heard that he has singled you out. Even offered his daughter to you instead of the d'Este, but then there is a difference between offering and delivering. Let me give you a piece of advice. Do not trust Visconti. Though you may have times when you are able to resolve your differences. Fear and suspicion are innate to the Visconti character. In the meantime, beware of the rest of the pack. They do not understand you and what we do not understand we try to destroy. They will seek every opportunity to bring you down, being better is not enough. You must be so far ahead that there is no possibility of any challenge. In the end the only way to win is to outlive your enemies.


SFORZA.

I thank you for the advice.


Enter ALESS.


ALESS.

There is an ambassador from Florence to see you.


SFORZA.

What does he want? It's been a long day and I'm tired.


ALESS.

She won’t say.


SFORZA.

Send her in. Well General, it appears our time together has come to an end.


CAR.

My I ask, will I die of my wounds like dear old Braccio?


SFORZA.

No General, you will be escorted to Venetian territory and set free.


CAR.

Then I wish you well young Sforza.


Exit CAR and ALESS, Enter FIA.



SFORZA.

You are in a hurry?


FIA.

We need to talk. There are various interested parties -.


SFORZA.

We've had this conversation before.


FIA.

That was before Visconti unleashed you and you ended up terrorising half the country. Florence would like Lucca back.


SFORZA.

It was not hers to begin with.


FIA.

She doesn’t see it that way.


SFORZA.

She is destined to be disappointed.


FIA.

You intend to keep it for yourself? Cosimo will be disappointed. Some might question whether such an act would be prudent.


SFORZA.

To take the city in my own name would be a discourtesy to the Duke and men of honour do not do such things, unless they have to.


FIA.

Of course you don’t believe you will earn the favour of Visconti by this act?


SFORZA.

No. Is there anything else?


FIA.

Florence was also wondering how the son could make war on the republic that did honour the father. After all, it is on record that a pension was awarded to him.


SFORZA.

A bribe?


FIA.

Of course not. There are, however, certain arrears in the pension, some fifty thousand florins.


SFORZA.

That’s a lot of florins.


FIA.

There’s a lot arrears and you know what the Florentines are like about their book keeping.


SFORZA.

Yes to the money and what else?


FIA.

Else? What a suspicious man you are turning into.


SFORZA.

It is the company I keep.


FIA.

A contract, now you've taken Lucca everyone assumes you will go free-lance.


SFORZA.

No. I cannot compromise my position with Milan.


FIA.

You think you have a position with Milan? You should have heard some of the names the Duke used to call you. Do you really think Visconti cares anything about you?


SFORZA.

I think the Duke cares a great deal about what I do.


FIA.

That is not the same thing.


SFORZA.

Anything else?


FIA.

Florence would like three months peace. Consider this a down payment. (Kisses him) Is it agreed?


SFORZA.

It is, I will not take up arms against Florence for three months.


FIA.

There is another matter. Cosimo would like another meeting.


SFORZA.

Why now?


FIA.

The Duke has decided to allow Piccinino to conduct operations upon his own account. And if you believe that you will believe anything. At some point Florence will oppose him and be defeated. She will then appeal to Venice for help who will agree at some ruinous price and war will start.


SFORZA.

And why is this any of my concern?


FIA.

Both sides will appeal to you. You know the Duke has been trying to tempt Carmagnola back into his service?


SFORZA.

It is the obvious move on the part of the Duke.


FIA.

Venice is desperate to retain the services of Carmagnola. It is foolish to release him. Even in defeat they are heaping honours upon him. I have it on good authority that they have even passed a secret resolution promising him the Dukedom of Milan if he should capture the city.


SFORZA.

Releasing him was the honourable thing to do. As for the Duke I think I will getting a message fairly soon.


Enter ALESS with message.


ALESS.

There's a message from Milan. The Duke asks. (reading) 'that his most beloved son do visit and explain his recent conduct.'


SFORZA.

And what does my agent say?


FIA.

It's a trap. They will be whispering in his ear that you are the new Carmagnola.


SFORZA.

I will not run from them. We will return to Milan. Send a message to the Duke that his most humble and obedient son will come before him alone and on foot. And in the meantime triple our payments to his court astrologer.


Lights Down



© 2018 apj1465


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
Added on June 1, 2018
Last Updated on June 1, 2018


Author

apj1465
apj1465

Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom



Writing
The Job The Job

A Story by apj1465


Laura Laura

A Story by apj1465