Scene 10

Scene 10

A Chapter by apj1465

SCENE - 10

(Venice. Enter PICC and SFORZA from opposite ends of the stage.)


PICC.

Count Francesco! By many we be counted not friends, but I have always found you, and hold you still, to be a man of honour. It has been an honour and a privilege to have crossed swords with the second greatest general in all of Italy.


SFORZA.

General though we have fought against each other these many years and to some we may have appeared bitter enemies, I have never held you so. You are a man of honour and great virtue, your word inviolate. As a soldier you are without peer, the truest heir of the great Braccio. All condottiere salute you.


They draw swords and salute each other.


PICC.

I ended the contract with Milan as soon as I heard Visconti had sold me out; a man can only take so much. Oh, I don’t blame you, in fact I admire you. Any man who can plunder the Papal States and still receive a papal blessing is worthy of admiration. You played it well.


SFORZA.

How did you find out?


PICC.

Persicco. You would not recognise him these days; he is practically the Duke’s shadow. I did not believe the orders at first. No doubt in time I will mend my fences with the Duke. I congratulate you on your forthcoming wedding.


SFORZA.

I hope I am deemed worthy of such a noble woman.


PICC.

I hear she is counting down the days. You may get the daughter, but I don’t envy you the father-in-law. A word of warning, The Duke caress for no one but himself; he killed one wife, won’t even talk to the Savoy b***h, and he keeps your precious Bianca at arms length. Mark this he’ll use you then spit you out.


SFORZA.

And what of the future?


PICC.

Time to introduce the younger generation to potential employers.


Enter VENICE.


Speaking of employers, until the next time.


Exit PICC.


VENICE.

Some might question the wisdom of your presence here today Count Francesco. Wisdom or is it arrogance?


SFORZA.

My lord, your words freeze scarce they leave your lips.


VENICE.

How else should we greet Count Francesco?


SFORZA.

With affection, though it has been a stranger to your Captain General for some time.


VENICE.

Affection is for friends, are you our friend Count Francesco?


SFORZA.

It pains me to see that you are so wary of me.


VENICE.

With right, your reputation for flexibility precedes you.


SFORZA.

My lord the gossip of the ignorant is always at a discount.


VENICE.

There seldom seems a live witness that would contradict you.


SFORZA.

Should I be blamed for the judgment of the Almighty?


VENICE.

Do you think we do not know of your dealings with the Duke?


SFORZA.

I have kept you informed of everything.


VENICE.

Just like Carmagnola and he failed us. When he had the enemy at his mercy he withheld the blow that would have delivered us from the Duke. And now you stand before us Count Francesco, the foremost general of his day outwitted and brought to terms by a man so obviously inferior to your great talent. Could it be that like Carmagnola, you are also more intent in treating with the Duke, furthering your own position at the expense of the safety of the people of Venice?


SFORZA.

It pains me that you think so little of me. I am a friend to the people of Venice and I have never wavered in that friendship. You have flattered me with your estimation of my abilities. I am but a man and as a man I hold that the keeping of my word is at the core of who I am. For it both defines and limits me. I gave my word to the Duke of Milan that I would not fight against him or his interests north of the Po. Despite much deceit and provocation I held to the truth of that vow. Knowing this, you still asked for my help. And knowing how ill it would stand with the Duke if my word to you should contradict my vow to him, I came to your aid in your hour of need. Without hesitation and in the full knowledge that I might never see the woman whom I have loved all these years ever again, I crossed my Rubicon. My lord, I have defeated your enemies and all that was lost has been restored to you. The people of Venice now enjoy peace and security. All that I have asked for in return is that the Duke be made to finally honour his promise that Bianca Visconti becomes my wife.


VENICE.

In truth there is little the Senate can object to and so all that remains is for you to claim your future bride. Venice wishes you well.


Exit SFORZA right, Enter PICC left.


PICC.

Has he gone?


VENICE.

He has, summon the others.


Enter POPE ALFONSO, PERISCCO.


Holiness, Majesty. And you?


PERSICCO.

I represent the Duke. Piccinino represents the Bracceschi.


POPE.

What to do? When he marries Bianca Visconti he will be the heir to the Duke, friend to Florence and Venice and Captain General of all the armies.


ALFONSO.

Sforza may be powerful but he has not the breeding, lacking the qualities that marketh the true prince, what passes for his character will not be content with his position. He will seek to expand his domain, it is inevitable.


VENICE.

Ancona or the Papal states?


POPE.

Wherever it starts it will not end there. We are all affected.


ALFONSO:-

The lords of the land will not swear allegiance nor will any prince regard him as an equal.


PERSICCO.

As for the condottiere they regard him as the man to beat. If he falls, the man who brings him down is a made man.

VENICE.

And the Bracceschi?


PICC.

We are sworn to crush Sforza. Begging you Holiness's pardon.


POPE.

You are assured of it.


VENICE.

The attitude of the Duke?


PERSICCO.

The daughter to be unharmed, as for Sforza, the Duke is indifferent.


VENICE.

His allies.


PICC.

Only the Medici and Sforza's son-in-law, Malatesta.


ALFONSO.

Malatesta is without honour and inconsistent, a creature of every base passion and utterly wanting in faith and humility. That alliance will not last.


VENICE.

Then we will gain another ally. What do you propose?


ALFONSO.

After the wedding the Duke will encourage Sforza and his bride to return to Ancona. I will send one army to grind down Florence, the other I will lead to Ancona, there Piccinino will join me with his army and we will crush him once and for all.


Lights Down.



© 2018 apj1465


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
Added on June 2, 2018
Last Updated on June 2, 2018


Author

apj1465
apj1465

Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom



Writing
The Job The Job

A Story by apj1465


Laura Laura

A Story by apj1465