Scene 8

Scene 8

A Chapter by apj1465

SCENE 8


(Sforza's chamber. Enter SFORZA and ALESS.)


SFORZA.

He tried to kill me! And would have succeeded but for Cosimo's warning. After all I have done for him! How many of them do we have?


ALESS.

All of them.


SFORZA.

There leader?


ALESS.

One Baldassar da Offida employed by the Pope by way of the d'Este. He sends you a letter. (Hands over letter.)


SFORZA.

(reads) 'My lord there is no man to whom the Pope bears more ill will than he does to you. For God’s sake do not trust him for he will always do you evil when he can.’


ALESS.

I think he tries to save himself.


SFORZA.

But I do believe the warning was well meant. Not that it will do him much good.


ALESS.

I will see to it.


SFORZA.

At every turn we are frustrated. With Fortebraccio no longer walking the earth, only Piccinino now remains and what happens? The Duke decides that all the parties should now negotiate a truce and uses the d’Este as honest brokers, which means that woman will not be far behind.


Enter FIA.


FIA.

What sort of greeting is that? Anyone would think you are not pleased to see me.


SFORZA.

I am not. The d’Este are a plague upon the earth.


FIA.

Uncle Niccolo been upsetting you again?


SFORZA.

Every time I stand on the threshold of victory I find it stolen from me.


FIA.

You can’t expect the Duke to risk everything on one grand battle. If he loses Piccinino, who will protect him from you?


SFORZA. Does he fear me that much?


FIA.

He fears everyone and everything. That is probably why he has lasted so long. Is it true that Fortebraccio is dead?


ALESS.

It is common knowledge that he died of his wounds. There seems no reason to contradict. Why?


FIA.

Just curious that both Braccio and his nephew died of their wounds. I never knew being a soldier was so dangerous.


SFORZA.

God moves in mysterious ways.


FIA.

I hear you are a father again? That must make Bianca happy.


SFORZA.

The world knows I am celibate.


FIA.

An immaculate conception, must be the Sforza spirit I keep hearing about. I will try and remember to keep my legs crossed. Speaking of children, how is Bianca?


SFORZA.

She writes she is well.


FIA.

She writes? Unaided?


SFORZA.

Are you jealous of her?


FIA.

Of a mere child? My dear Francesco there is simply no comparison, would you like me to prove it to you later?


SFORZA.

That is something to look forward to.


FIA.

Unlike your wedding, it will never happen. The Duke knows that once it does you won’t need him. He will try to marry her to someone else.


SFORZA.

I understand the Duke more than I am given credit for. He will not betray me.


FIA.

All I ask is that you keep an open mind. Congratulations on Bologna by the way, everyone is talking about it. What now?


SFORZA.

Now you can tell me about Baldassar da Offida.


FIA.

I am unfamiliar with the name.


ALESS.

He was familiar with yours.


FIA.

Was? I heard he still lived?


ALESS.

It appears there was an unfortunate accident. While asleep in his prison cell a loose brick fell from the ceiling and killed him outright.


FIA.

That was very (pause) unfortunate.


SFORZA.

But at least I have his written confession (flourishes letter) and your name figures prominently.


FIA.

How can I make amends?


SFORZA.

I don't know but I am sure you will try.

FIA.

I also I have a letter. (Produces a letter.) From the Pope to Piccinino, he berates him for not attacking you with sufficient vigour. (Hands it over.) Do we return to our previous level of intimacy dear Francesco?



SFORZA.

(reads) We do. Until later.


Exit ALESS and FIA. SFORZA paces up and down reading the letter.

Enter COSIMO.


COSIMO.

You are well?


SFORZA.

They failed if that's what you mean?


COSIMO.

You're angry.


SFORZA.

With justification. When the elect of the Almighty behaves thus, what hope is there for the rest of us? And there is this. (hands over letter)


COSIMO.

(reads)

Interesting but consigned by events to history.


SFORZA.

How so?


COSIMO.

The Duke has switched sides and now supports Alfonso against Genoa. It must have been some conversation they had. Genoa is angry and has declared themselves in revolt against the Duke and appealed to Florence and Venice. And so we have another war. To his credit the Pope will try to negotiate peace by appealing to the Duke’s better nature, why he thinks he has one is somewhat of a mystery to me. And then there's you.


SFORZA.

I cannot afford to offend Venice and yet every direct move against the Duchy, every city taken, every man killed, reduces the value of Visconti inheritance. To become Duke and survive, I must have the support of the people and a mostly intact Duchy. Otherwise, I will face enemies within and without and have few resources to call upon. I know it as plain as day and the Duke knows I know it.


COSIMO.

So how will you square the circle?


SFORZA.

By keeping my word to the Duke not to fight north of the Po.


COSIMO.

My friend, your strategy does have a certain magnificent stupidity, it's quite endearing in a way. And yet part of me suspects you might outlive us all. What will you do now?


SFORZA.

I will continue God's holy work and trust that his earthly representative is suitably grateful.


Enter POPE quickly.


POPE.

You live!! Praise be to God! Truly, you are his instrument.


SFORZA.

(kneels) I am the church's most obedient servant.


POPE.

Then I shall not detain you. (Blesses him.) May God preserve you my most beloved son.


Exit SFORZA.

I cannot do this. His very presence is an offence to God. Once Piccinino returns to the Duke's service there will be no constraint on him. It is only a matter of time before he puts the rest of the Papal States to the sword. They may be unruly, but they are mine.

COSIMO.

There may be a way of encouraging him to seek his Fortune north of the Po.


POPE.

How so?


COSIMO.

You could propose to negotiate a peace between the Duke and Genoa.


POPE.

I could make a public appeal to the Duke. There would be much credit.


COSIMO.

If, by some chance, the Duke should fail to respond, it would only be natural for you to support Genoa and the republics with a contribution of say thirty thousand florins.


POPE.

Money? There is none.


COSIMO.

I was thinking of a making a personal gift, of say fifty thousand florins to the Holy See, that would leave twenty thousand to support your Holiness in your most Christian works.


POPE.

And what else?


COSIMO.

You propose Sforza be made Captain General of the combined army.


POPE.

All of it? Genoa, both republics, the papacy and his own men? That makes him very powerful. Too powerful. I will not.


COSIMO.

Your Holiness may like to read a document that came into Sforza's possession. (Hands over letter.)


POPE.

(reads letter) This is regrettable.


COSIMO.

It is capable of explanation to Sforza.


POPE.

It is? And would that explanation be satisfactory?


COSIMO.

It might be, if it were accompanied by a general proclamation in his support.


POPE.

As God wills. I shall expect the first payment by the end of the day.


Lights Down



© 2018 apj1465


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

63 Views
Added on June 2, 2018
Last Updated on July 1, 2018


Author

apj1465
apj1465

Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom



Writing
The Job The Job

A Story by apj1465


Laura Laura

A Story by apj1465