Act 2 Scene 6.

Act 2 Scene 6.

A Chapter by apj1465
"

Piancenza.

"

SCENE 6


(Piancenza. A backdrop of a burning city. SFORZA and FEDERICO stand watching the fires)


SFORZA.

There is nothing heroic about capturing a city. A general should think well before he turns his men loose upon a city, for once they are of the leash they cease to be men and become instead ravenous beasts. If I ever think of myself as a great man say the word 'Piacenza' to me, and I will remember this day. And I will also remember God was nowhere to be found.


FEDERICO.

You had no choice. We had no money. You had to storm the city or risk the army fading away. Besides, you did all that any man could do. You even placed guards on the monasteries and the hospitals and used them as places of refuge for the women and children.


SFORZA.

You think anyone will thank me for that. I thank God that we can now end this at Caravaggio.


Enter ALESS.


ALESS.

They say there is an orgy of celebration in Milan. Persicco has turned up.


FEDERICO .

No doubt to show his appreciation.


Enter PERSICCO.


PERSICCO.

You were ordered to lay siege to the city not to storm it. You are the great serpent at the bosom of Milan, you think nothing of the republic, you think nothing of the people, you think only of yourself, every thought, word and deed is directed to increasing your own fortune. You are a most faithless servant. And this we will no longer tolerate. You will immediately curb your ambitions and submit yourself to the will of your masters. The Committee is the embodiment of the people, when we speak, we speak as the people of Milan. There is no higher authority save God himself. Henceforth, you will allow yourself to be guided by our superior knowledge and experience and so conduct your affairs as to be in harmony with our desires. You will proceed forthwith to Lodi.


SFORZA.

My lord, you seem to be under the misapprehension that is peculiar to all politicians seeming to believe that if you say a thing slowly and often enough I will inevitably conclude you must have been right all along. Do not be deceived into thinking mere possession of office somehow confers a superior skill and expertise. You think I do not know about your secret meeting with Venice? It is perverse of you to believe that Venice would relinquish its gains.


Exit SFORZA followed by ALESS and FEDERICO.


PERSICCO.

Sforza? Sforza! Where are you going?



Lights Down.





© 2018 apj1465


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

48 Views
Added on August 16, 2018
Last Updated on August 16, 2018


Author

apj1465
apj1465

Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom



Writing
The Job The Job

A Story by apj1465


Laura Laura

A Story by apj1465