Act 2 Scene 1

Act 2 Scene 1

A Chapter by apj1465
"

Sforza and Bianca start married life under siege.

"

  (A chamber. SFORZA is kneeling by an alter seemingly at prayer. Maps on a table. Enter BIANCA.)


BIANCA

It is true, the city is completely surrounded by our enemies. I confess my husband this was not the start to married life that I envisaged.


SFORZA

Our army makes Malatesta's city more than secure.


BIANCA

What are you doing? You're not really praying are you?


SFORZA

Of course not, I was merely reflecting upon the large numbers of princes who seem to have met their maker in church.


BIANCA

Francesco. When we took our vows in St. Sigimund's. Do you still remember where the windows were and the number of possible exits?


SFORZA

Naturally.


BIANCA

And the colour of my dress?


SFORZA

(stands, rubbing knees) No, but I did gave you a nice wedding procession through Cremona.


BIANCA

Thirty thousand men. It was more like the entry of an army of occupation.


SFORZA

At least I spared no expense.


BIANCA

You mean Cosimo spared no expense. I imagine he is still crying into his ledgers.


SFORZA

You are in ill-humoured mood today. Has Malatesta upset you again?


BIANCA

There is a coldness to the eyes, he flatters and smiles, but look to the eyes, they are without humour or compassion. He means to betray us at the first opportunity.


SFORZA

It is my fault. I was under the impression that Alfonso's attacks on my lands were being masterminded by your father, and that after the wedding, they would stop.


BIANCA

Father doesn't like you. Have I not mentioned this before?


SFORZA

Many times.


BIANCA

Then how could you have been so naïve?


SFORZA

I confess it has always been a flaw in my character that I try to see the best in people and then suffer accordingly when they show their worst.


  BIANCA looks round, then walks to the alter and lifts the cloth.


What are you doing?


BIANCA

I was wondering where your biographer was hiding. For there can be no other reason you say such perverse things.


SFORZA

Bianca, the military situation is delicate. As you see from the map -


BIANCA

Enough! As an army wife I know I have to feign some interest in how you spend your days, but there is a limit.


SFORZA

You should be flattered your loving husband is seen fit to be challenged by a king.


BIANCA

That is of small comfort.


SFORZA You do know that in the end I will win?


BIANCA

It is the only reason I married you, it is the bit in-between that I find so tiresome.


SFORZA

I have to admit Alfonso's improving with age, so there seems to be no sensible alternative, but to wait him out. We have the supplies and the troops to withstand the siege indefinitely. But as you say the problem is with our host.


BIANCA

Then you probably shouldn't have married your daughter to him should you? You're already thinking you will have to kill him in the end.


SFORZA

You seem to have an unnatural ability to read my thoughts.


BIANCA

You may like to remember that when you are eyeing up the local girls.


SFORZA

I have eyes only for you.


BIANCA

I will hold you to that. As for our host, if you are too squeamish I could always lend your daughter my little black book. Every wife should have a little black book otherwise her husband might get ideas.


  Enter FIA.


FIA

Have you missed me?


BIANCA

Dearest Fiammetta, you know it’s always a pleasure to see you.


FIA

I have been meaning to visit, but you seemed so busy recently. How are the children?


SFORZA

They are well.


FIA

I am glad to hear it. Why Bianca, I feel it is so very modern of you not to be concerned. I confess I am not so sure I would be so understanding of Francesco's little indiscretions.


BIANCA

My husband may have as many mistresses as he pleases, but a loving wife will tolerate no rivals.


FIA

(as if seeing BIANCA for the first time) Bianca my dear, have you put on weight? Married life must really be agreeing with you.


SFORZA

(interrupting quickly) You have travelled far?


FIA

From Milan.


BIANCA

And had no trouble crossing the lines?


FIA

Alfonso was very understanding. I bring news. (hands a letter to each)


BIANCA

What does mine say?


FIA

I am sure I wouldn’t know my dear. (Turns to SFORZA.) The Duke has written to Alfonso requesting him to cease his attacks upon your lands.


SFORZA

I am sure Alfonso will take a lot of notice. (Reads letter.) Not good news two of our generals, Troilus and Brunoro are planning to betray us. How like the Duke, he moves men to betrayal than betrays them instead. I particularly like the way the message arrives just after they are known to have left the city and so beyond my reach.


BIANCA

Father sees such matters in the abstract, rather like a chess puzzle. How will you do it?


SFORZA

That will require a few moments of thought.


FIA

You have lost me?


BIANCA

Murder should never be done out of passion. It should be a calculated act, rational, controlled, carefully weighing those factors that are for and those that are against. That is not to say that it is merely a matter of arithmetic for one does like to see to a certain artistry from a man and elegance from a lady.


FIA

So if I am wronged, I should not kill immediately because that would mean I was acting on impulse and that would be bad? Instead, I should wait and plan most carefully, and then at the most aesthetically pleasing moment, kill the party that offends?


BIANCA

Well, I suggest you try, as to the success, one can never offer a guarantee.


SFORZA

I have it. We need to draft a letter to our two former comrades suggesting that they are to pretend to desert to Alfonso and then, at the most opportune time, betray him. We then let the letter fall into Alfonso’s hands.


BIANCA

How do we do that?


SFORZA

Dearest Fiammetta.


FIA

Ah.


BIANCA

I will see to the document.


Exit BIANCA.


SFORZA

Some might think you and Bianca do not like each other.


FIA

We are like sisters. And if she feels otherwise then I shall content myself with the knowledge that when I look in the mirror I know I am ahead on points.


SFORZA

What really brings you here?


FIA

I tire of intimate pleasures solo and would have you lend a hand.


SFORZA

I fear that Bianca will never be far enough away for that sort of thing.


FIA

Pity. Well, since you’re so happily married, to business.


SFORZA

The rest of the Duke's message?


FIA

You are up to your neck in trouble. Your supply lines are cut, your cities in revolt, and if Alfonso doesn't take you here, he will mop up in Naples and then take whatever Piccinino and the pope have left in Ancona. Soon you will have nothing left.


SFORZA

I will not bend the knee to Alfonso or the pope. Let them come, I will weather the storm and when it has blown itself out, I will recover what has been lost.


FIA

The Duke thinks otherwise and would make you an offer.


SFORZA

He needs you to say this?


FIA

It is not the kind of offer he feels should be committed to writing.


SFORZA

One of those kinds of offers, and what does my dear father-in-law ask of me?


FIA

Cremona.


SFORZA

It is not mine to give.


FIA

The Duke thinks it is, in all but name anyway. And since you have such a way with women, he feels you could overcome any objection. One way or the other.


SFORZA

And he offers in return?


FIA

His love and affection.


SFORZA

In short, the Duke would lessen the odds against me?


FIA

In short, yes. What do you say?


SFORZA

(thinks for a moment.) You remarked on how well Bianca is looking?


FIA

Yes.


SFORZA

She is with child.


FIA

Really? And does she know about this?


SFORZA

She will be shortly writing to her father to announce the happy news.


FIA

A legitimate Sforza child, well, there's a novelty.


SFORZA

Ask the Duke how he can make war on his future grandchild? If he recalls Piccinino to Milan, he can pick the name.


FIA

And Piccinino's army?


SFORZA

I will deal with that.


FIA

And what else?


SFORZA

When Alfonso gets tired of besieging us, the Duke might like to suggest he try reducing the last of my estate in Naples.


FIA

And Cremona?


Enter BIANCA hands letter to FIA.


SFORZA

He will appreciate that there are certain implications that need time to be considered.


Exit FIA.


BIANCA

Did you get all you wanted from her?


SFORZA

More or less. You'll be pleased to know you're pregnant.


BIANCA

And how do we know that exactly?


SFORZA

It's in the letter you will be writing to your father.


BIANCA

Somehow I don't think that would be enough for father?


SFORZA

He wants Cremona back.


BIANCA

Over my dead body.


SFORZA

I think that's what he had in mind.


BIANCA

He wouldn't dare, besides it would violate the treaty with Venice. Francesco, promise me you won't do anything to provoke him.


SFORZA

As you have promised not to provoke Malatesta?


BIANCA

I will be the most humble of wives


Enter MAL.


MAL

I fail to see why we continue to sit here day-after-day and do precisely nothing. Some might say that you suffering from an excess of caution Count Francesco.


SFORZA

They might say that but they would be wrong. The art of winning is seldom achieved by great victories, but by slowly wearing down your opponent, accumulating the tiny advantages that present themselves until your position has become so overwhelmingly superior that the matter can then be liquidated to your profit with the minimum of risk.


MAL

That would be the prudent thing to do.


BIANCA

Francesco is nothing if not prudent, perhaps it is time we ate, things always look different on a full stomach. Don’t you agree Sigismond?’


MAL

And what of glory?


SFORZA

Ah, the thirst for glory, but can you drink it?


MAL

Better a noble death than to crawl away into the night.


SFORZA

History belongs to those that outlive their enemies. Pay someone enough to write about your times and you can have glory in abundance, later.


MAL

It is not the same thing.


SFORZA

Five hundred years from now who would know the difference?


MAL

We must do something about Alfonso before it is too late!


BIANCA

We must do nothing.


MAL

Who is master here?


BIANCA

Looking at the troops on your walls, that would appear to be us.


Exit MAL angrily.


SFORZA

So much for not upsetting him.


Lights Down.




© 2018 apj1465


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on June 23, 2018
Last Updated on June 23, 2018


Author

apj1465
apj1465

Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom



Writing
The Job The Job

A Story by apj1465


Laura Laura

A Story by apj1465