The Fallen

The Fallen

A Chapter by The Zombie Guy

After walking for a couple of miles our excitement became boring and tedious. The day was getting darker and darker by the second and the kids are complaining even Travis is having a hard time keeping them calm. Gary called for camp and we started to look for a place that would be safe but the only house nearby was a mile back and we didn’t feel like walking back so we settled with camping on the road, it’s not safe but at least we can see far away so we’ll just have to keep someone on watch and rotate.

 

As Matt and Jeremy gather firewood I was in charge with watching the area for movements, I chose Alexander to help me and he was fine with that because he really wanted to fire his bow. Gary and Travis were with the little ones trying to lay out sleeping bags and occasionally I would see Gary talking to Travis like a father would to his son when he was feeling down. Looking at those two I was aware that Alexander was trying to talk to me.

 

“Can you repeat that?” I asked he responded with, “Travis is really having a rough time with all of this. He really didn’t want to leave.”

“But we had to; if we stayed we would’ve been like John and the rest of the kids that we lost.” Alexander laughed a little.

“I forgot about everyone else you know, once there gone you forget them or else you become like Travis, a risk to the group.”

“Gary is talking to him.”

“I know, but what happens if Gary dies, what will happen to Travis then?”

“Then I’ll take his place.” Alexander looked at me like he knew I was going to say that, he smirked.

“Glad to hear that you’re on board.”

“What?”

 

Before the conversation could continue Matt and Jeremy came back with firewood and needed my help, Alexander told me to go and said that he got this. Matt said that we should light the fire on the road because then we could make a calm fire. We listened to what Matt was saying because before he was part of a Boy Scout club before the plague and learned neat tricks to survive, he was our only person who knew what to do so we listened to where to put what and no later did we have a fire brewing. The fire seemed to bring joy into the kids’ spirit because they started talking about this being like camp. Matt began telling the kids about camping and a bear eating their food. Before I could hear it, Gary called me over.

 

He said, “Alexander tells me that you’re on board with being the leader in case something happens.”

“Yes, what was that about?”

“I’m tempted to stand down as leadership and handing the title to you.” I was surprised.

“What do you mean stepping down!” before that part could get out he covered my mouth.”

“I said tempting, it’s just I feel like I keep coming to you for advice and you would always answer with a choice that I didn’t know was an option. You’re smart, you know how to fight, I even asked a couple of people and they would be ok for you to lead them. I was just talking to Travis about it and was neutral about it but I’ve been convincing him, you know he’s still in shock about John. You know they were brothers, right?” I shook my head, “Well the fact is still the same if something was to happen to me I need to know from your own words that you will take charge.”

 

I promised him and he was astonished by my answer and he gave me a quick hug and said his thanks and head back with the group leaving me with my thoughts. Me in charge, I couldn’t help but laugh at the thought but at the same time, Gary wasn’t wrong. Lately, he has been asking me for advice even some that were obvious to me. Was it a test or was he being serious? Man, I hope nothing happens to Gary.

 

Alexander signaled me to come over, and I can see that it wasn’t to continue our conversation. There was a group of undead coming our way, knowing their intention I rallied Jeremy, Matt, and Gary. I told Travis to guard the kids and told Alexander to be in the middle of the kids and us. Alexander smiled and saluted me and headed back, ignoring what he was thinking I pulled out my machete, Jeremy pulled out his knife while Gary grabbed his baseball bat and Matt grabbing his spear.

 

I told them to spread out and wait for them to advance. From left to right you have Gary, Matt, Me, and Jeremy. The sun was going down so I can barely make out what they look like but you never forget the awful smell that they track. When they got close enough we engage with them and charged.

 

Rushing into battle you always remember two things: how many you killed and how many you lose. Striking the undead was exuberant mostly because of adrenaline and fear but you feel like nothing could stop you. Then you hear the moans of more of them and it knocks you into reality. Thinking that there was the one group in front of us was foolish of me because I should have thought that maybe there were more. We never saw any until now so we thought we were fine, but they were waiting. This was new to them which were the reason I was surprised to see more. Usually, they were dumb and slow but now they seem to be communicating, but how?

 

They flanked us from the right side, I never saw it coming. Neither did Gary.



© 2017 The Zombie Guy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's an odd thing to state an exact number in an estimation - usually it will read 'about x or z' number or even use a colloquial 'half dozen' so that kind of threw me especially when the number 7 was repeated again...and in number form not spelled out.


Posted 7 Years Ago


The Zombie Guy

7 Years Ago

I understand what you mean, reading over it again someone who is afraid wouldn't take the time to co.. read more
Tony Jordan

7 Years Ago

The devil is in the detail.
:))
Sharp first paragraph and another good lead into what was to come next.
Good dialogue skills.
7 undeads - that s quite a lot BUT i am sure that as I read on there will be a hell of a lot more appearing.
You left it on a cliffhanger and that's always a good thing to do....keep the reader wanting more. A pageturner.....your work sure is.
The piece flowed nicely and I was quite surprised at how fast I finished it.

Another well written chapter and I shall be onto the next. I do hope tha you get to describe these zombies as I would like to see how descripitive you can really be.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


The Zombie Guy

7 Years Ago

Your too kind! In the near future there will be a description of the undead.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 2, 2017
Last Updated on April 6, 2017


Author

The Zombie Guy
The Zombie Guy

NY



About
18 year old, likes coming up with ideas for a story but can't seem to continue or finish after a while. more..

Writing
The Fear The Fear

A Chapter by The Zombie Guy



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The End The End

A Poem by Giulia King


I love you I love you

A Chapter by Jes' Pi