The Climb

The Climb

A Chapter by The Zombie Guy

After struggling to keep going I notice that we were hitting the exit of the town, there was a turn that led to more buildings and taking a glance at everyone, they couldn't go on anymore. Instead of going on we turned right and headed down the road. At the end was a couple of houses and a store, it was an antique store named "Kelly's Antique World." The world was small but taking a look inside Jeremy and I spotted a couple of items that would be useful to grab, but we focused on a house.

 

The place we picked was a grocery store on the corner of leaving the town, not as nice as the previous location but better than nothing. Jeremy went inside and after a couple of minutes later he emerged again and gave us the thumbs up. I moved everyone in, one by one they walked in. Lastly, it was Travis carrying Lexi, she is not looking too good. The pharmacy that we passed by would be a good location to get meds but it's too dangerous. From what Jeremy, had seen, it looked like a bunch of the undead that gathered together and are actually living there. It's unusual to hear this, not once have I seen in movies the undead not just moving around without a clue of where they're going. Hopefully, we will not have to go there and find what we're looking for in on of these houses.

 

Outside the store looked small, but inside, it was able to fit all of us in and was able to provide windows that aren't' broken, unlike the abandoned house that we used to live in, there were smashed windows and cracked one in others. We boarded them up to prevent anyone or anything in unannounced. There was a bed in the back, that's where all of the little kids are going to be sleeping while there were a couple of cots around the store and after looking around some more it all looked abandoned. We will need one or two to keep watch at night and switch places during the night. Back at the house, we just had Alexander watching most of the time, he was fine with it in fact sometimes I would see him watch the world with awed, maybe he wants to prove himself that no matter what the earth will go on even if the humans were exterminated. Maybe this is a sign from mother earth saying you failed, redo and boom the plague started, Darwinism at it's finest, but no one can beat mother nature at her own game, eventually she will get you one way or another.

 

The sun was going down and we’re low on practically everything and we need to find medicine for Lexi. Once everyone was settling inside I asked Jeremy if we could talk outside. He nodded and walked outside with me, after closing the door I pulled out the state map that was in my bag.

 

“We are getting closer to the city mile by a mile but with everyone tired and Lex getting sick, we have to stop and look around so we can help her, I’m worried that she’s developing a fever.”

 Jeremy nodded and said, “I feel you but with the pharmacy that we passed by earlier is full of sickos and since night is coming we can’t afford to fight, we would be demolished. So, let me go out and look at the nearby houses.”

I shook my head, “Not alone, you’re a good man and I can’t afford to lose you.”

Jeremy smiled and tapped my shoulder and flashed me a wink, ”Trust me, before you know it I’ll bring back a whole ambulance.” I laughed at the thought of that and soon we both started laughing at the joke.

 

After seeing Jeremy leaving I headed back to the rest of the group. Looking at everyone with the support of the remaining amount of light from the sun I see that everyone is either worried, exhausted, or both. Lexi still doesn’t look good. Joe is looking after Lex and he is just petting her hair while she lays on his lap. I took a knee and asked, “How is she feeling kiddo?” Joe laid his hand on Lexi’s head and shook his head, “It’s still hot, what’s wrong with her?” I blew out a mouthful of air and responded, “I think she is getting sick, Jeremy went out to find medicine for her, keep an eye on her ok?” Joe nodded and I got up to look around, maybe there will be something around?

 

Searching the store, I realized that there was nothing here, it made sense. In the beginning of the plague, after finding out that the war was a failure, every one turned tail and ran. At least those who survived to even make it that far, there were rumors that some adults made it out and robbed every food store in sight. Remembering the swarm at the pharmacy made me think that maybe the rumors were true but then the question that arose is: how did they die? There’s something that we’re missing, something is happening to the undead.

 

Before it was simple, they were dumb and slow. Once you got over your fears and handled the situation you can easily apprehend your foes but now things are changing. When we fought the group of them at the makeshift camp before coming into town, it just seemed that they planned the flank but at the same time maybe we were too cocky and they took us off guard. It makes sense because it was dark and we couldn’t see well but that raised another question: why didn’t we see them before? Sure, they came from the woods or at least some did but it was very convenient that they attacked that night after we walked for miles and didn’t see anything. Now walking into town, I see that they are camping out in buildings during the day. What’s up with that?

 

I hope Jeremy is doing alright, hopefully, he will bring back an ambulance, imagining driving an ambulance and making our way to the city was a good thought, but reality destroyed the thought, vehicles haven’t worked in a long time after everyone either abandoned it or destroyed theirs by the undead. If the plague didn’t come, then by now I would be learning or taking my driver’s test. Now I just must look forward in life and try to survive and now lead others into that direction without them dying. Not my best self-motivation but I’ll work on it, now to distract my mind, I should check our surroundings. The sun is down and night is upon us, which means the undead should come out. Hopefully, we’ll all be safe.

 

Looking around I don’t see a lot of movements but I know that they are out there and I’ll take first watch while everyone rests up or try to at least. Joe refuses to rest because he wants to watch out for his sister, can’t blame the guy, family always come first. Even in that apocalypse people still believe in that, otherwise, people will feel alone and that usually doesn’t end well. I’ve heard stories and let’s just leave it to that, stories. Who knows maybe this whole Armageddon will one day become a story and tell our kids about what we went through. I have to chuckle at the thought, I’m sounding like an old man. Walking around, looking at everyone asleep, everything seemed peaceful. At least it did until something caught my eye.

 

At first, I didn't know what it was, at first I thought it was one of the dead but the moment I saw the dark figure, it was gone. Most likely it was a trick of my eyes because of my exhaustion but after getting that thought, panic rises in me. If something happens to my group now after promising silently that I will protect this team, I promised Gary this and I plan on keeping that. I unsheathed my machete and took precaution.   

 

Walking around with my weapon out would originally scare the kids because that would mean danger to them but since most of them are asleep I figured I was fine walking around with my weapon out. In the store, we didn't have the chance to figure out where would be the good spot to sleep in so everyone was in the middle. Travis was the first one asleep while Matt was waiting for his turn. Alexander said that he found a ladder leading to the roof and would stay up there keeping watch with his bow. So far I think only a couple of people are sleeping altogether.

 

Not wanting to wake up the group I signaled Matt to come to me, he nodded and quietly walked over. Once he came over he asked, "What's up?" He noticed the machete and asked, "Zeds?" I shrugged, "I don't know, for all I know it probably wasn't anything but if I'm right, then I might be being watched by something or someone, again I don't know but keep an eye on the crew will you?" He gave me a salute and nodded, "Good I'm going to check the perimeters again." I waved him off and continued to look around the store. After finding nothing throughout the store I figured I might as well get an eagle eye of the perimeter.

 

Time to see if Alexander has seen anything

 

Around the back of the store, there is a boiler room of some sort, it's a small, cramped room and the ladder leading to the roof can be easily missed able, especially since it's dark as a cave. Climbing the ladder, the closer I keep going up the more I feel like I'm hearing someone speaking, but for all I know I'm going insane and this is all a big joke to myself. Oh, ha-ha, you got me brain now quit it and wake up from this horrible nightmare. At least bring back my parents so they can be in charge.

 

God, I miss them.



© 2017 The Zombie Guy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
Added on April 3, 2017
Last Updated on April 3, 2017


Author

The Zombie Guy
The Zombie Guy

NY



About
18 year old, likes coming up with ideas for a story but can't seem to continue or finish after a while. more..

Writing
The Fallen The Fallen

A Chapter by The Zombie Guy