The Brother

The Brother

A Chapter by The Zombie Guy

Alexander is the guy that likes to focus on certain things, he loves when he's able to know secrets and surprise others. People treated him like a freak in school, he was a little glad that the plague came along and took those people out. He had learned that the world was going to suffer from overpopulation and that some are even starving because of too many people and not enough food for everyone to eat. On the outside, he seems like a good guy but on the inside the only thing he likes more than eavesdropping on people is silent. well as silent as it can get with all of the stupid zombies moaning around. 

 

No one really knows if they're zombies but it fits their character so Alexander didn't mind people call them zombies or other various wording to it. To Alexander, they were the enemy and he would take down as many as he can before he rounds up dying. His family, like everyone else, fought in the war and were most likely dead. That didn't bother him, the thing that always messes his mind is the person he lost the most. His brother, Andrew.

 

Alexander lost him in the beginning stage of the plague and the thing that hurts him the most is that he never saw his dead body. When it happened, Alexander was in school while his brother had stayed home because the little snot was able to skip out of it. One of the worst places that Alexander had experienced was the attack in the school. In the beginning, you didn't know what was going on, you had people getting sick and sicker, but that was it. There was no death that was stated in the news, now Alexander believes that there were fatalities but the people at the news station didn't want to provoke the public. Maybe if they did his brother would still be alive.

 

It happened during gym class ironic enough, Alexander was decent when it came to sports but he mostly did it to gather information about his wonderful classmate. He did that, she talked to him, all sorts of useless stuff that doesn't matter anymore. Once the enemy came through the school doors, there was no way to stop it. Alexander didn't know how it exactly came to be that he would have to fight his way through the school but this he thinks that someone saw one of them, but since back then they still look like humans, faculty members would try to provide aid to the mysterious person and would end up becoming one of them. When Alexander was trying to get out of the school there are evidence of that happening and the school nurse told him what he didn't know before she died of the fever, he doesn't know if she came back or not because he had to run to save his brother and his own life.

 

Alexander’s house was just a fifteen-minute walk, he sprinted home. He focused on his brother’s life more than his own, it was his only family member he cared for. His mother was a drunk and his father left him and his brother when they were both young. Alexander looked after his younger brother ever since he could remember, if Andrew was in trouble, he would hurt anyone that would try to destroy his brother’s life.

 

Reaching his home, Alexander notices that the outside of the house was clean and it looked like nothing had happened. He slammed open his door and discovered that his mother trying to get into his son’s room. She wasn’t looking like herself. He was able to avoid all of the teachers that were infected in the school, he never had to actually kill another human being before. His mother was his first kill, he doesn’t regret it in one bit because that is how much he cared about his brother. His brother was having an asthma attack once Alexander was able to save his brother, he was running low on his inhaler and needed more to increase his chance of survival. After saving his brother from his mother, they both set out to look for safety. They met other people who ended up like his mother, neither he or Andrew knew what the future would look like but they kept going.

 

Alexander used his baseball bat that he used during baseball season, he once hit a homerun with that bat and knew that it would bring good luck. His brother was equipped with his bow and arrow that he loved because he was able to prove to others that he wasn’t worthless. Alexander never felt like that towards his brother. He was very good with it too, even during the competition he was known for being one of the sharpshooters for his age. He was thirteen and that blew everyone’s mind, even Alexander himself felt inferior to him but more people were more attracted to Alexander because nothing was wrong with him during the plague. Everyone looked at Andrew like a liability and that pissed Alexander more than anything.

 

 

    After two weeks, the brothers were able to find a group of survivors. The adults started to go to war so everyone was geared to the maximum potential. The internet was barely a thing at this point, only the emergency channel was active and chaos was a civil war among men and kids and soon after the dead began to take the streets and soon it was every man for them self. Alexander barely remembers the others name but he remembered an individual and he would never forgive that man. The man’s name was Michael and that b*****d should pray that Alexander never meets him again because he knows what he will do to him if Michael isn’t already dead.

 

After one month within the plague, the war was already over and the group was only up to five people including the brothers. Andrew was getting worse because we ran out of inhalers, a couple of weeks ago, they raided a pharmacy and got, what looked like an endless supply, it didn’t last long. They had to keep moving to survive because everywhere they went the more the dead keep grouping up, the more they moved the more Andrew had to use an inhaler. Eventually, we had to stop moving and find a place to stay at until Andrew was feeling better. We camped out in a complex building that had five stories, we figured that there might be something to benefit us and we could stay at the top to plan our next destination.

 

They stayed on the fifth floor for about three days, Andrew laid on the couch for two of those days. On the third day, Michael was getting pissy because we saw activity coming our way and wanted to leave with or without Andrew. Alexander fought with Michael for hours until a guy named Steven and a girl named Lucy had to break us up. Lucy was the same age as Andrew and Steven was a year younger than Alexander. Lucy was telling Alexander that she will help him find something to help his brother, she was a cute girl in his eyes and was grateful for helping him.

 

They left Andrew with Steven and Michael while Alexander and Lucy went to other buildings to find something that would help Andrew. Eventually, they were lucky enough to find an inhaler that was in a drawer in a house across from where the group was originally staying. Alexander was so happy that he accidently kissed Lucy, the thing was that Lucy didn’t hate it and that made Alexander smile more than he ever did during the plague. Returning back to Andrew, Alexander was beginning to hear and argument upstairs. He and Lucy ran upstairs and Michael was trying to throw Andrew out the window. Alexander’s smile disappeared and the blood lust began to boil in his stomach that he was from one part of the room to the other in a blink of the eye.

 

He pulled back Michael and shoved him away from Andrew, Andrew was choking and gasping for air. Alexander was able to treat his brother with the inhaler that they found earlier, that to ran out because it had so little left in the bottle. None the less Andrew was able to breathe again and was feeling fine again. Michael was a different story, he still wanted Andrew gone because Michael believed that he was still a liability. Again, Andrew denied Michael request and Michael snapped and tried to attack Alexander with his knife. Michael was never a good fighter but he was still deadly with that knife, the advantage that Alexander had was that he was faster than him and used that to his best ability.

 

Alexander would have won the fight if it wasn’t for Steven and his stupidity. The fight was what you expected, Michael and his psychotic eyes looking at Alexander and Alexander replying with his own, Lucy shouting for them to stop while Andrew and Steven were too scared to speak. The fight lasted for five minutes, it ended with Andrew coming in with the assist. Michael was on top of Alexander with the knife at his neck, Michael tried to force Alexander to change his answer regarding leaving Andrew behind and not dying, again he decline the offer and Michael was going to kill Alexander. Andrew used up all of his strength and punched Michael in the face, that resulted in Michael getting off of Alexander and Andrew having another asthma attack. Alexander was going to knock Michael out but when he got above Michael he didn’t see Steven with a pipe and Steven had whacked Alexander in the back of the head. Alexander’s vision was becoming a blur, the last thing he remembered was Lucy calling out his name while his brother struggling to breathe.

 

Alexander woke up to the sun setting, the room empty, and the body of his brother. He was not moving at all. His brother had multiple stab wounds in his chest and one in his head. Alexander spent the remaining day mourning the death of his beloving brother.

 

There was no sign of where to people he stayed with for a couple of months went, at first he didn’t really care. He was feeling lost without his brother that once he got the energy he went to the rooftop of the apartment building and would sit at the edge of the building and ponder the thought that he kept thinking every time he volunteered to keep watch at a high point: is this the day that Alexander will drop to his death? Well, the fall won’t be enough to kill Alexander at the store that the group is staying at but the thought still comes to Alexander’s head and he ponders his options.

 

Before joining up with the kids that he is staying at the store and after the loss of his brother he was on a mission, a mission to find and murder Michael, just like he did with his brother. He tracked a couple of footprints and assumed that it was them but he lost the prints after a terrible rainstorm and the mud had covered up the prints. He wasn’t alone, he didn’t find another person, but he had a friend that he cherished before the plague, Andrew. Even though he was dead, Alexander knew this because he saw the body, but he was still with Alexander. The secret was the bow that Andrew loved to use before he got weak was so close to him that every time Alexander thinks about jumping his brother was there to persuade him to not to. Alexander doesn’t care if he’s gone insane, he’s just happy that he is there and he looks like nothing had happened to him.

 

He’s there at the store, Alexander with his brother’s bow and is watching the dead shambling around, looking for a meal to bite. He could feed a couple of them but before he got the chance to get near the edge, Andrew is there. He looks at his brother and tears forming around the eyes and he walks up to give Alexander a hug. “There, there, big bro. You don’t need to come with me just yet.”  Alexander wasn’t able to hold it in either; the tears that fell off of Alexanders went through Andrew’s arm and dripped onto the ground of the roof of the store. He felt foolish; he knew that he shouldn’t have any tears left, but every time Andrew shows up he still has some tears left in him. Sometimes he feels alive when Andrew comes because it draws Alexander out of the world that he’s currently in and is struggling to keep going. If only Gary was still alive.

 

When Alexander was at his worst and on the hunt for Michael, Gary was the one who made Alexander see the other side of the coin.

 

Alexander spent weeks, chasing a ghost at that point and were on the brink of death. Alexander stumbled onto a field, he had ran out of water and was on his last bit of bread, he figured the best place to die would be away from the others that have fallen and died peacefully. He soon fell in a field of grass and waited for the wind to take him away. A couple of hours later a kid in a school outfit was looking at Alexander, Alexander’s first reaction was to scream and clear some distance. After realizing that he wasn’t in trouble he yelled at the mysterious kid. “Can’t a kid die in peace without a weirdo like you looking at me from above?”  The kid laughed and after wiping tears out of his eyes he said, “Sorry about that mate, I just wanted to have a little fun you know, dead people walking around you barely see anyone living.”

 

Alexander didn’t know what to think about the mysterious kid but he held out his hand with the utmost friendliness that Alexander has ever seen in a long time. Alexander shook the boy’s hand and the kid introduced himself to be Gary and Alexander told him his name and Gary smiled once again. Alexander didn’t know what to think of Gary he just suddenly showed up. Gary asked him where he came from and Alexander responded that he was just on the move and Gary shook his head, “I mean, where originally did you come from, before the plague?”

 

Alexander had to think for a moment because he forgot about his life before the plague, after a while he couldn’t remember. Gary understood and smiled and offered Alexander to come with him and join his group. Alexander nodded his head and Gary led him to the group that he is currently surviving with, everything was kind of normal again, it was like we were a big family. Then Gary, like his brother, had passed away and this time he wasn’t the one who weren’t berserk, but his new leader did

 

Jack.

 

Alexander feels like Jack can lead the group to safety, Alexander saw the fierce look in Jack’s eyes that no one probably saw other than himself. He looked like he was caring about others than himself.

 

Just like Gary.

 

Alexander felt that he would stay and watch Jack and see how far he will last and Alexander will try his best to fight with Jack until the bitter end because he doesn’t want anyone else to feel like the betrayal that Alexander felt with Andrew and Michael. After making the promise Alexander hears something climbing up, after noticing that Andrew was gone, Alexander nocked an arrow and waited for the mysterious figure to come out. Once realizing who was coming up he put the arrow back and waved to Jack and Jack approach Alexander and told him some weird information.


© 2017 The Zombie Guy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

60 Views
Added on April 3, 2017
Last Updated on April 3, 2017


Author

The Zombie Guy
The Zombie Guy

NY



About
18 year old, likes coming up with ideas for a story but can't seem to continue or finish after a while. more..

Writing
The Fallen The Fallen

A Chapter by The Zombie Guy