Aggressive Stance

Aggressive Stance

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Returning to Tarmard, plans are made to end the threat from the Southern Empire.

"

37.

Aggressive Stance

 

An hour later, the two airships returned, ready to take all that remained on board.   As they boarded, they were surprised to see Sam Mellis, the Bitter Dreg from Aeropolis that had stayed in Westmark when the civil war began, waiting for them.

He called Eleazar and Aurei aside and spoke to them for a few minutes as the others found spaces to sit and relax.

A few minutes later, Aurei found Aedric and Snoe where they sat together on a soft sofa in the Autumn Maid’s main cabin.

“He brought us some very troubling news.”   Aurei told them as she seated herself across from them, “General Luca received a report from the Faesidhe Forest and sent Sam with the ship to tell us as soon as possible.”

“What happened?”   Snoe asked her mother.

“There is an uprising among the Faesidhe.    Apparently your visit to the Clearing of the Ages focused their anger over the destruction of the Great Tree.    Now they are blaming us �" all of us.    They’ve taken the Governor’s quarters.   Governor Demmet and his wife were killed and the heart of the forest is now in rebel hands.”  

“The Governor’s sons have returned to rendezvous with the rest of their father’s forces that remain loyal to Westmark and they have vowed to hold the eastern part of the forest against the rebels.”

“Yesh have mercy!” Snoe exclaimed as her husband comforted her.

“I’m not surprised, really.”  Aedric told Aurei, “They were very angry and that sort of anger just simmers until the right time.   How horrible that a tree’s loss can drive men so insane with rage that they will give no thought to killing innocent people.”

“Eleazar wanted to ask your permission to discuss these developments with everyone in Tarmard, rather than in Westmark.   He suspects that the Faesidhe may have rebel spies there, and he is quite sure that Redburr, the Emperor, or Torrin also have spies in Westmark.    He feels that any plans that need to be made should occur within your Kingdom, Aedric.”

The term ‘your Kingdom’  seemed so ridiculous that he would have smiled at it, had the situation not been so grim.

“Certainly, Duchess; both of you are always welcome to meet or stay in Tarmard at any time.”

Aurei smiled, “We know, but you are now the King.”

“And your daughter is my Queen, so you are family.”

This pleased the Drow lady, “We aren’t far from Tarmard, so the trip will be very short.    I’ll tell the others.”

She moved across the room and went down the stairs to the lower level of the airship.

Snoe sighed sadly and rested her head against his shoulder, “I guess our adventure is not done yet.”

“No �" it may just be starting.”

“Well, maybe that is just as well.”   Snoe said, yawning, “It will give us more time to get used to our new roles as King and Queen… as well as husband and wife.”

He smiled at her, stroking her long white hair as she nestled against him, “I’d say you’ve embraced your role quite well.”

“Yes,” She replied sleepily, “All except consummating our marriage.    That still makes me very nervous.”

“Well, it looks like you’ll get another reprieve.   We’ll be too tired to think of such things after a long meeting.”

“Oh, not me.” She said, half-asleep, “I’ve thought about it on every free moment we’ve had.    I can’t stop thinking about it.”

“Well, don’t let it cause you anxiety, my love.    We have no schedule that we have to keep in regards to that.”

“I know,” She laughed, “But I think I actually want to experience that with you.    But I’m not sure what to expect.    I imagine once we’ve mastered it, I’ll want to keep you busy for some time.”

“Snoe!” He exclaimed, but he found her words had rekindled a hunger for her that overwhelmed his physical exhaustion.

  “This is not a good time for that, though.”  She said, “Not with war looming over us.    When we become intimate, I don’t want anything ruining it for us.   I want to unite with you in peace and at our own pace.”

“I agree.”

“However,” Her eyes popped open and she gave him a lusty look, “There are several private cabins on this ship.”

“Really?”   His heart raced at the thought.

“I’m just kidding.    We wouldn’t have enough time, and everyone would know what we were doing.    It has to be very private and without any time constraints”

“You are giving me mixed signals, my love.”

“Sorry, but I’m fighting a mixed battle inside as well.   I’m so exhausted I could fall asleep standing up, but the more we talk about it, the more I feel myself imaging us passionately engaged.”

She turned his face toward her and kissed him warmly.    All that remained of his weariness left him as soon as her lips met his.

But their kiss was short-lived, for Aurei’s news brought many back up the stairs.    The newlyweds broke off their kiss and sat there with a somewhat silly, embarrassed expression on both of their faces as everyone went back and forth across the room.

 

***

 

 

They reached Tarmard in no time and disembarked at once.    Snow had begun to fall in the Sylvan valley and they found Mathlyn, holding Aidan waiting for them as the ships landed.

“I’ve had the others wakened.” She told Aedric and Eleazar as she handed the baby over to her mother.    Aurei hugged her youngest child tightly with a satisfied sigh, and then followed the others inside to the royal banqueting hall.

Mathlyn steered Aedric and Snoe toward a pair of throne-like chairs at the end of one of the long tables.

“You’re both back home now, so you’ll have to resume your roles again.”   She whispered to them as they seated themselves.

 

They spent a few minutes reuniting with the rest of their friends and family, but finally, Eleazar tapped on the table with the knuckle of one of his gauntlets and then stood to address them.

 

“I know all of you are very tired and it is quite late at night.   All of you deserve a long rest and accolades for all that you have done so far.    We have defeated the demon and the Dragon and rescued Alleania’s noble house from the Underdark.   But now we have more to do.”

“As all of you now know, there has been an uprising in the Faesidhe forest by the Elves that blame us for the destruction of the Great Faesidhe Tree.    In King’s Reach, Earl Redburr’s forces are recovering from their recent loss against us.   They are most likely being reinforced by the Emperor’s legions or auxiliaries.   Lastly, we were able to learn by use of scrying device that a huge force is being assembled near Aeropolis that will be moved immediately to the north, to invade the western half of Northmarch.    It is believed that they will not wait until the passing of winter, but attempt to quickly overwhelm us before the heaviest snows arrive.”

“Yet Redburr’s forces, as well as the Imperial legions, do not yet know of the destruction of the Gem of the Oscinate or the banishment of Mazzikim’ruhin.    They also believe �" for the time being�"that the dragon is still pushing forward a Goblinoid army in the Underdark and that the underworld is being completely destroyed.”

“However, news will reach both Redburr, the Emperor and Torrin soon.    When they learn that their anti-magic has been neutralized, the Gem shattered, the Dragon is dead and the Goblinoid army is decimated, I suspect they will quickly resume using magic.    So until they hear this news, we have some advantages over them.”

“They do not know that we have won, and that our magic will function now against their army.    We have three obstacles keeping us from restoring peace and some degree of harmony in the Northlands.” 

“First is Torrin and Emperor Fortatius’ plan to invade and destroy all non-human lives, then take what was Northmarch and the Faesidhe forest �" as well as Tarmard�"and make them providences of the Empire.”    

“Second are Redburr’s forces, so close that they could choose to strike us again.    They’ll join with the legions and we’ll be hard pressed to stop them.   Last are the Faesidhe rebels, who could destroy Westmark as soon as we march out to fight our other threat.”

“Now, we do have some advantages.     The Dwarven King’s army is camped in Westmark and they will certainly fight with us.    Some of the Sylvan archers are also there.    We have a growing number of refugees from the Empire that will gladly take up arms against those who oppressed them.    We have many wizards and clerics who can cast spells that can not be countered by the Emperor’s forces, unless they return to the use of magic.”

“Our airships can advance against the enemy and attack safely from above, out of range of their weapons.     These same airships can quickly move us from place to place.    We have some powerful magic items that might even things up for our side.   Sam tells me that the King and Queen of the Losasidhe Elves have arrived in Westmark with a small company of men.    They will probably be willing to help.”

“Now I ask you:   What other resources do we have that our enemies do not?”

 

For a few moments there was silence as everyone thought.   Finally Alleania stood up and spoke, “If Torrin and the Emperor think that their Goblinoid army is still being pushed forward by the demon, then we could still use the teleportation relay system to get to Aeropolis undetected.    If it is undamaged by the Dragon, that is.”

Gallus raised his hand, “Sir, if I may be allowed to say something �" the Bitter Dregs know of secret passages that were used by the Necromancer’s Guild to go from the Underdark into the various underground rooms of what was once the Temple of Yesh, but is now the Temple of the One True God.    The Necromancers used these passages for spying on the church of Yesh.”

Alleania nodded, “He’s right �" I had forgotten about those!    It was the main secret route into Aeropolis �" some of the passages come out into a large family crypt in what had once been the main cemetery in Aeropolis (before they stopped burying the dead out of fear of the Necromancer’s reanimating them).    This graveyard is directly behind the Church.   One passage actually does go into a basement room of the Church, but it was seldom used because the priests of Yesh would have detected any that entered by divine magic.    Now with Yesh’s church gone, this is no longer a problem.”

Eleazar wrote the information down on a scroll, “Very good �" so you are suggesting that we could use these passages to get to Torrin in the Temple?”

Sam Mellis raised his hand, “I’d think so, sir.   The messenger that arrived this afternoon from Southgate told me that the Emperor and Torrin are very confident in their eventual success in conquering Westmark.    The Nunmontuites have a festival at the very first of winter that they call ‘Final Reaping’.    My messenger said that this year they are planning a huge festival at the Temple of the One True God for all the important Imperial and religious people.   It is usually the most festive time for Nunmontuites and so everyone will attend.”

“What are you suggesting we do, Sam?”   Zeatt asked the Bitter Dreg.

“Ma’am, I have watched the church of Yesh be persecuted and pushed out of Aeropolis and the Southern Empire.   I’ve seen godly men and women that had once been greatly respected theologians imprisoned and put to death.   Now they are hunting down all non-humans.    I think this evil must be stopped.    It is time that the faithful of Yesh fight fiercely for their God!   We need to do whatever is necessary.   I’d suggest a sneak attack, using the passages to bring a small force into the Temple and purge the place of the evil!   I suggest that we find the Emperor and Torrin �" and all of their cronies�"and kill them there.”

There were murmurs of uncertainty among those assembled.

“Yesh is not a God of death, but of life.”   Zeatt quoted a passage from one of Yesh’s disciples, “However, our very lives are at stake here.    Perhaps by taking the fight to them, and killing their leaders, the army would fragment and a war where many thousands die could be avoided.   I hate the word ‘murder’ but if we must murder to stop the contamination of evil, I think Sam’s idea is right.”

“But would it be enough?”   Mathlyn wondered, “There are always disciples who are willing to take up the cause of their masters.”

“Drastic steps are warranted.”   Aedric commented, “In this war, we need to cripple them so that they would not be able to make war against us for a long, long time.   I shutter to have to say this, but from a military standpoint, Aeropolis needs to be burnt to the ground.”

 

Again there were murmurs of surprise and dismay.    Finally Aeric stood up, “I agree with Aedric �" he is thinking how I trained my Paladins to think.   They are the aggressors.  Northmarch has been threatened by them before and they have caused us much grief and destruction.   I don’t want innocent people to die, but the populace supports the Emperor and Torrin.”   

“If we used the ‘Whuo-Nao’ �" the Firebird statue that worked so well against Redburr’s forces�"to set the capital of the Southern Empire on fire, after we had killed Torrin and perhaps the Emperor�"then the legions would retreat back to the capital at once.”

“And they’d fight amongst themselves over who would be the next Emperor.”  Gamel added, “That, as well as the need to rebuild their city, might keep them occupied for a long time.    But I’ve always felt that Northmarch’s weakest point is Southgate.    Certainly it is well-fortified, but if we could permanently block off Orc Pass, it would cause any invading army from the Southern Empire to travel at least an extra week out of their way to reach us.”

Aedric spoke up, “That is a smart plan, too.   The Legions would have to march west then north, between the Rattooth mountains and the Faesidhe forest.   If we controlled both sides, they’d be reluctant to use the Southern Highway.   They’d not go into the Faesidhe forest after ambushers, out of fear of the tales they had heard of the place.    By the time they reached Westmark, their morale would be low and their numbers weakened considerably.   So blocking Orc Pass might ‘seal the deal’ on keeping the Southern Empire from trying to invade.”

Eleazar continued to write some of the ideas and opinions down, “Very good, we are thinking of good strategies.    So the thought is that if we were to raid the Temple of the One True God, kill the Emperor and Torrin during the festival, burn Aeropolis with the flames of the Firebird, and somehow block off Orc Pass that would end the threat?”

Most assembled agreed with the logic of the plan.    But Snoe raised her hand, “What about Redburr’s men?    They’d still be there, and even if we blocked Orc Pass, they could still cause us some damage.    We need to drive them out of King’s Reach.”

Everyone nodded at her words, and Mattleos stood up and spoke, “We can’t forget the threat from the Faesidhe.   They too need to be dealt with, and I think all three threats need to be addressed at the same time, if possible.”

“I agree.”  Eleazar responded, “But that would mean splitting up our forces.”

“I doubt the Faesidhe rebels are a large force.    It is an old trick to use the forest to give the illusion of greater numbers.”  Aedric told them, “Even if everyone in the Clearing of the Ages was up in arms against us, it would only be several thousand at most.”

“Could a small force �" using magic�"suppress them?”   Eleazar asked his son-in-law.

“I’d say so, yes, especially with Linel Demmet’s men already holding the eastern part of the forest for us.    I suspect there are only a handful of Faesidhe that are stirring up the others.   The Tree was most important to the nobles, for they all wanted to one day eat a piece of white fruit.” 

“The common Faesidhe won’t care so much, and they are mostly found in the smaller villages in the southern parts or mid-western section of the forest.    I think I could lead a detachment of Sylvan Archers and restore control.”

“Could you do so without much bloodshed?”   Eleazar asked.

“Yes, I’d say so.  If we came in with the right frame of mind about our task, that would be very possible.    If we plan to go in there to arrest the leaders, restore peace and calm the anger. “

“Would they listen to you?” 

“I don’t know, but I do know what usually triggers them to calmness in times like this.   I watched and listened to my father often.   He was crafty, but it usually worked.    If we can retake the Clearing of the Ages, I think the rest would be easy.”

“Would you be willing to take on this task?”

“Certainly �" I think I might be the best qualified, as I grew up in the Clearing of the Ages and I know their mentality.”

“You would need volunteers to assist you.   Who here would be willing to join him?   There will be other areas that I will need help that will be equally as dangerous, so only volunteer if you think you could best serve here, rather than in any other area.”

 

Immediately Snoe and Mattleos raised their hands, followed by Nansea and then Carn and Amala.   But the last one to raise a hand surprised Aedric �" his grandmother, Mathlyn.

“I lived around the Clearing for many, many years as one of the Guardians of the Great Tree.   I would like to see it before it completely fades away, and I think I am not too old to be of some help.”   She smiled sweetly and her statement amused everyone, for the Inion Sidhe lady was eternally youthful in appearance.

“Thank you all �" Aedric, I’d recommend taking a company of your archers with you.”   Eleazar suggested and the Sylvan King nodded.

“Now that we have that mission settled, we next need to consider a march upon King’s Reach.    They won’t be expecting an aggressive stance this close to winter, and we might be able to dislodge them from the city if we surprise them.    We will have to wait until tomorrow, when we can speak to General Luca, King Kylheilm and King Eiolmoel about marshalling their forces in this endeavor.  But I was wondering who here would join in this struggle?”

For a moment, Aeric and Alis conferred with their son and daughter and then Aeric raised his hand, “We will lead the cavalry in this fight.”

“Thank you, my friend.”  Eleazar responded, “I wish we could devise a plan to block Orc Pass, for that would also keep Redburr’s men from escaping to the south.    I will ask the two Kings and General Luca about any ideas they might have about how to accomplish this.   Of course this assault is dependant upon how many soldiers that we can use against Redburr.   I don’t want to risk the lives of my oldest friend’s family.”

 

Eleazar paused for a moment to look at some of the notes he had written down, and then continued, “That leads us to the commando raid.    As this will be accomplished only by a quick trip through the Underdark, using the teleportation relay system, we have a large problem with breathing.    The smoke was growing thicker when we left today and so this plan hinges on whether we can devise filters to enable us to breathe there.    I will speak to Darv and Beyon, as well as Mage Keith tomorrow when we reach Westmark about constructing something.”

“But before we dismiss for this night, I would like to see who would volunteer for this raid.   Sam of course will have to lead us, and Alleania and Zeatt know the passages and the layout of the Temple.   Who would join us on this raid?”

Aurei of course raised her hand, as did Alvis and Gamel.    Then it was the other Drow that volunteered.   Syuit, the wizard Howst, Gallus and to Eleazar’s delight, the wizard who looked like the Drow Devin but claimed to be Archmage Drake.

“That will be a perfect team.”   Eleazar told them, “But we must first find a way to breathe there.”

“I may have some ideas, Eleazar, but I would like to see if the Dwarven Armorer’s Guild could construct them quickly, before I share them with you.”   Drake/Devin said.

“That would be fine, thank you, sir.”   Eleazar stood up, “Let us now all get some sleep.    Though our mission is urgent, I have asked that the airships postpone our trip back to Westmark until the early afternoon, so that we all might get some much needed rest.    Thank you, everyone.    If we can complete these missions, perhaps we can form a new Kingdom where all races can live in peace, united in faith in Lord Yesh the Merciful.    May he bless our endeavor and all of you.   Good night.”

 

***

Not long after Eleazar dismissed them, Aedric and Snoe reclined wearily in the royal chambers on a bed that seemed wonderfully soft to their tired forms.    

“I hate to see everyone split up.”   Snoe told him sleepily from where she laid in his arms.

“Yes, it will be strange when this is all over and your family goes home, leaving us alone here.    Snoe?   Will that make you apprehensive?   So far they’ve been nearby since our wedding and when they are back in Westmark, I don’t want you to feel uneasy.”

She opened one eye, “I’m not worried, my love.    I’m your wife now and our souls have bonded.    Soon we will unite physically.   I am quite happy, though it is all new and exciting for me.   I love you, and I look forward to our life here.   I always loved Tarmard.”

“Now you are its Queen.”   He said, kissing her forehead.

“It is unbelievable, but it’s a role I cherish.    They are wonderful people.   We will have a lot to do, I’m sure.    We need to find a wife for Mattleos.    I think he was interested in Amala, but something has changed about her other than just her hair and her attire.    She seems… drawn… to Carn.”

“I noticed that too.    I got the feeling that we will soon hear more about who Carn really is, but that Amala already knows.”

“I know this might sound really silly, but I think my sister might be falling in love with him!”

“I thought that as well, but at the same time she seems cautious or maybe ‘careful’ is a better word.   Carn seems tormented by something, but he seems to be drawn to her too.   I was watching him tonight as your father spoke �" he kept glancing over at her, but when she would notice, he’d quickly look away from her.   Odd, isn’t it?”

Snoe squeezed her husband tightly, “Romantic, too.    A Bugbear as a brother-in-law… now that would be an odd family.    There is no way they could have children, though.”

“Whoa; you are getting a bit ahead of yourself there �" they just seem interested in each other, they’re not engaged to be married.”

“Yeah, you’re right.   I’ve just been thinking about children.    You know we’ll be expected to produce heirs soon.    I imagine that if they all knew we had not… uh… been intimate with each other yet, they’d panic.”
          “Now you are getting ahead of yourself here as well.   Let’s take things slow --  focus on our relationship before we have to worry about babies.”

“I think that would be wonderful… to have children.”   She told him, her eyes now open and sparkling at the thought.

“Down the road, that is fine, but we have time.”  

“Mom bore seven and told me she enjoyed every part of bearing us and raising us.    Would seven be too many for us to have?”

“Snoe, for Yesh’s sake, let’s go to sleep.”   He responded nervously and she giggled at his uneasiness.

“Alright, don’t worry, we’ll ‘table’ that plan for now.”   She kissed him and then again nestled in the crook of his arm, “I’m too tired tonight to learn how the baby-making process works anyway.   Good night, my love.”

“Goodnight, sweetheart.”   He snuggled her close, and though his mind danced through thoughts of raids, burning trees and babies, he joined his wife in a deep sleep within minutes.



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

426 Views
Added on October 19, 2014
Last Updated on October 19, 2014
Tags: Marksylvania, Aurei of Westmark, Synomenia, Bugbears, Drow, Fantasy, Paladins, Good versus Evil, Adventure

A Sovereign Hope --Marksylvania Book 3


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis