Royal Treatment

Royal Treatment

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Eleazar and Aurei are crowned King and Queen of Marksylvania, but surprise visitors may disrupt their plans.

"

76.

Royal Treatment

 

 

The first dawn of the Kingdom of Marksylvania found the residents of Westmark already busily at work making preparations for the Crowning ceremony.    Although there had not been an official announcement, somehow everyone knew and all wanted to participate in the festivities.

When Eleazar and Aurei emerged from their bedchambers, they were stunned to find the whole town working feverishly and happily together.

The two were ushered to their breakfast table by ducal servants who were actually excited to serve them this morning.    Aurei scooped up baby Aidan from  Amala’s arms as they joined the other equally bewildered family members for a fine morning meal.

“Isn’t this wonderful?”   Alleania declared as she and her sister joined the others around the table.  

Zeatt was again wearing her Archbishop robes and was yawning, “It is going to be another memorable day; I stayed up most of the night crafting an appropriate Crowning ceremony.”

“It should just be simple.”  Eleazar told her, “I don’t want people to think that we feel that we are any different than we were yesterday.”

“So what do we wear?”   Aurei asked her husband.

“The same as we wore for Aeric and Alis’ funeral - our parade armor.   I want the people to see us as protectors and defenders, not a pair of rich nobles expecting to be served.”

“Are you going to make a speech?”  Alvis asked him.

“I suspect they’ll expect that much at least.    I won’t speak long, though.    I would have everyone focus on the Lightmas holiday tomorrow, rather than us.”

Aurei nodded in complete agreement, “We need to keep humility as our focus.    Titles mean nothing in the eyes of Yesh.”

 

They all sat and chatted as they ate, and then they quickly dispersed to prepare for the ceremony at noon.

 

 

***

 

Several hours later, as grey wintery clouds began to release a light snow, a huge crowd of people watched Eleazar and Aurei mount the steps of the Church of Yesh and disappear inside, with their family following behind them.

For a second day, the church was packed so full of people that there was standing room only.    The couple walked to the front of the church, where Reverend Mother Zeatt waited, surrounded by the Dukes, Barons and Earls of the new Kingdom of Marksylvania.

Aurei stopped at the bottom step and Eleazar continued up on to the dais.   He stepped in front of Zeatt, who was holding a gold circlet crown.

“Kneel, Duke Eleazar.”   Zeatt commanded, and Eleazar knelt down before the Archbishop.   Zeatt held the crown up for all to see and turned to each of the nobles around her, who all nodded their consent.

“Eleazar, by the authority of Yesh the Merciful, and with the complete agreement of the nobles of Marksylvania, I hereby crown you King of Marksylvania.”  

She placed the crown on his head, and then put one hand on his head while lifting the other hand heavenward, “Sovereign and most Merciful Lord, may your mantle of blessing fall upon this man, who has been selected by his peers to be King of this new nation.   May you always bless him with wisdom and a hunger for justice, compassion for his people and those in need, fairness in his governing, and humility in his reign.”

“May He always acknowledge you as his Lord and King and submit to your laws above all others.   Bless his Kingdom and his people.   Arise, King Eleazar I of Marksylvania!”

As Eleazar rose to his feet, from all around the church, trumpets sounded and all in the sanctuary bowed before him in respect.

“All hail the King!”  Someone shouted, and then the call resounded, along with applause, for several minutes.   Eleazar nodded and waved, but looked almost embarrassed to be at the center of attention.

Finally he gestured for everyone to rise.    He looked to Zeatt and she handed him a second, more delicate tiara of gold.   He beckoned to Aurei and she meekly came onto the dais, and then bowed before him.

Eleazar held up the crown, “I, Eleazar, King of Marksylvania, do this day, as my first action, crown Aurei, my beloved wife, as Queen of Marksylvania, in the eyes of these witnesses and asking Yesh’s blessings upon her.”  

He gently set the delicate crown on her head and then took her hand and helped her stand.

Again trumpets sounded and the people bowed, shouting, “Long live the Queen!” enthusiastically for several minutes.   

 

Eleazar beckoned for everyone to rise and they did at once.

 

“My friends, I thank you for your shouts of approval.    Aurei and I are greatly humbled and awed to serve you as King and Queen.    I say ‘serve’ for that is what we must do.   Just as Yesh the Merciful taught by example that it is more blessed to serve than to be served, so shall we follow this creed.”

“We spoke late into the night, last night, about how we can best serve this new Kingdom.    We concluded that by showing what we expect from everyone, by our examples, we can best help this Kingdom.    We shall not be distant and aloof, but present in the affairs of our people.”

“The rebuilding and defense of our new nation is of the utmost importance, as is healing of old scars and strengthening new alliances.    We shall labor intensely to make Marksylvania a nation where all its citizens respect each other and feel as if their voice matters.   Because every one of you, from the beggar on the street to the King’s council, is of equal importance in Yesh’s eyes, and we will do our best to mirror Yesh’s example of compassion and love.”

“If you see in us something that you do not think is proper or fair, please tell your Baron, Earl or Duke and they should speak to us about it so that change can be made and healing can begin.”

“Those that you see surrounding Aurei and me are the Council of the King and will advise and -if needed- rebuke me.     My Queen shall sit in this council, and I give Archbishop Zeatt the right to also sit and vote in the council.   I have asked that ambassadors from Tarmard, the Losasidhe people, and Forgestone, sit in our meetings and report our actions back to their Kings, so that we will have open and trusting friendships.”

“Now I have several appointments to make, as your new King.”   Eleazar slipped a piece of parchment out of his cloak pocket and glanced at it for a moment.

“First, there are several duchies that lack dukes or duchesses, and two seats on the King’s council.    I hereby name to the King’s council, Sir Alvis and General Luca, both of whom will receive the titles of Baron, which shall pass to their firstborn children, upon their death, with the approval of the King’s council.    Their estates will be established later, but shall be near Westmark.”

“Next, there are two duchies that lost their dukes due to rebellion.     In Southgate, Duke Michael Fross was killed by Redburr’s men early in the rebellion, along with his entire family, leaving that position void.    But during the occupation by Redburr’s forces, and then the Imperial Legions, the city’s bishop of Yesh, Miles Fenrick, hid and protected those loyal to Queen Eioldth and Northmarch.”

“Therefore I name Miles Fenrick as the Duke of Southgate and grant him the right to bear a coat of arms and govern.   He shall be required to keep the laws of Marksylvania and provide troops when asked.”

“The whole of the Faesidhe Forest was governed by Wellon Demmet, whom was killed by rebels, along with his wife.   In the treaty signed by the Faesidhe, the forest was split up into three duchies, and all three of the duchies have already been established, pending the King’s council’s approval.”

“One of these three - which is the eastern section of the Faesidhe forest, now known as the Duchy of East Forest, is given to Linel Demmet.    He was voted as the Duke of this duchy by the Faesidhe people and I wish to honor him for his loyalty by presenting him with the title now.    Linel shall be known as Duke of East Forest with the same rights and requirements of all the other dukes.” 

 

All eyes turned to the young Faesidhe Elf, who was standing with other important people off in the congregation.    He bowed respectfully to the King and those around him patted him on the back and congratulated him softly.

Eleazar continued with his appointments by now finding Aaron in the crowd, standing next to Aedric and Gamel.

“Yesterday, we buried two of my oldest and dearest friends, Aeric and Alis, and their young daughter.    It occurred to me that I owe more to them perhaps than to anyone, as they faithfully followed me for many years and were always shining examples of servanthood.”

“But while we honored them yesterday, today I want to speak of their son, Aaron.    In the middle of his pain and grief, this brave young Paladin attacked Redburr’s forces, and rallied our armies by his courage.    For his bravery and loyalty and after hearing him speak of his fascination with the mysterious Valley of Helios, which I claim as part of Marksylvania, I do hereby bestow upon him the title of first Duke of Helios Vale.”

“The entire valley shall be his holding and duchy and I give him complete authority to cleanse it of the stench of Helios, to liberate any there that were enslaved by the wizard, and to bring the mercy and love of Yesh, along with the firm but fair hand of justice, to the area.    I shall commit any resources or manpower he needs to achieve this end and establish his duchy.”

 

Gamel, Aedric, Snoe and the others around him all congratulated the surprised young Half-Elf, who also bowed respectfully to the new King.  

 

“Finally,” Eleazar concluded, “We have the area around King’s Reach, which has been traditionally a duchy held by the King or Queen of Northmarch.    I intend this to continue in the Kingdom of Marksylvania.   Though my capital will be here in my dearly loved Westmark, my family will still hold Westmark, Dullerm and now, as King, the duchy of King’s Reach.”

“As it is now mine, I do hereby give the title of Duke of Midreach to my son, Gamel.   This title shall pass to each reigning King or Queen’s oldest surviving child that agrees to succeed him or her as the next King or Queen.   I spoke about this idea to the King’s Council just before the service and they approved of it.”

“Notice that I said that the title will go to the child that agrees to succeed him.     I do not intend this monarchy to exclude daughters that were born first from reigning.    My daughter Amala is my oldest surviving child.    But from numerous conversations with her in the past, I know that she does not desire to reign one day as Queen.”

 

Everyone glanced at the girl, who looked extremely regal in her golden armor and purple dress as she stood next to her new husband.    Amala shook her head with enough enthusiasm to verify her father’s conclusion that everyone around her laughed, and even the King smiled.

“I see that I was correct.” Eleazar turned now to his son, “Gamel has proven himself as an honest, brave and kind knight of Yesh and I therefore acknowledge him as my heir.   Join us, my son.”  

 

Eleazar gestured for him to come forward, and Aurei stepped back to give him room.    Gamel started forward, but paused as he looked around for someone.   The crowd wondered who he was looking for, but his family knew.

Valmiai had silently stood behind him during the service, but had slipped quickly toward the back when she became aware that Gamel would be the center of attention.   She almost made it to the door of the church, but she found her sister Elina intercepting her.

“No, sister.”   She told her softly so few could hear, “He does not need a secret mistress; he needs a public wife.   Mathlyn has mastered the role, you can as well.    If you love him, do not embarrass him.   Go stand with him.”

Elina’s words shamed the Inion Sidhe lady and with a sigh she turned and with amazing shyness moved back to the front.   By now everyone had figured out what had happened and the people stepped out of the way for her.     She looked utterly terrified of the attention, but accepted Gamel’s outstretched hand and went to stand by him without looking up.

His arm went around her for support, and he addressed the crowd, “This is Valmiai, my wife.”

She looked up enough to smile at those assembled, and everyone who did not know her, but now beheld her, murmured at her great beauty.

Eleazar nodded his approval of his son’s statement, for he knew the two had joined by Aleiryid.    They could be officially married in a private ceremony sometime later, so they would not embarrass the mysterious Inion Sidhe lady that loved his son.

 

Eleazar was about to wrap up his speech to those assembled when he heard a slight commotion at the doors of the church.    He joined everyone in looking around to see what was going on.   

Weaving through the crowd were four men wearing the red, purple and white trappings of Imperial senators of the Southern Empire.    They seemed obvious of those around them and came directly through the crowd toward the dais.   

One held what looked like a bundle of sticks wound tightly in a gold cord, while another carried a small wreath of some sort and the third a purple and white cloak trimmed in white fur.

 

Aedric, Snoe, Carn and Amala moved directly into their path, with hands on the hilts of their weapons and the four stopped.

“Who are you and why are you here?”   Aedric demanded.

“Sire, we are senators from Aeropolis, we come in peace as representatives of the senate.    Your guards and several of your wizards checked us.    We are unarmed, Your Majesty.”

 

From the back of the room, Captain Bruce stood next to Elina, Alleania and Drake, and he gave a thumb up signal to the Sylvan King, as the three wizards nodded that it was alright to let them through.

Aedric gestured for them to pass, but with his eyes warned them that they would be closely watched.

 

To everyone’s surprise, they only bowed respectfully to the new King and Queen and then turned to Gamel.

“Prince Gamel,” One of the Imperial delegation said in a voice that was obviously used to addressing large public gatherings, “I am Senator Priscus Balbus Tertius, the Consul Prima of the Imperial Senate.”

“Why are you here?”  Gamel asked.

“Prince Gamel,” the Senator answered, clearly speaking something rehearsed many times, “Recently a conflict erupted between the people of the Kingdom of Northmarch and the Emperor Fortatius of the Southern Empire.  We acknowledge that Emperor Fortatius was wrong in supporting the rebellion of Earl Redburr.”

“His death at your hands - and the hands of your father’s forces- shocked the senate.    The destruction of fair Aeropolis by means of powerful magical fire has shaken the Southern Empire to its core.    The senate ordered the complete withdrawal of Imperial legions from the territory claimed by Northmarch - and now claimed by Marksylvania- and all of our armies have left your new Kingdom.”

 

“We know all of this, senator.   You still have failed to answer what you are doing here, interrupting this religious ceremony with your presence.”   Gamel demanded, receiving murmurs of agreement from the congregation.

“Prince Gamel, the Imperial Senate is left with many problems that they cannot resolve.    The Empire is in chaos and there is a possibility that in its weakened state, it will collapse.   You have proven your military might and tactical skills.   The senate has met to select a new emperor, as all empires need an emperor.    After much debate, they decided that it would be most appropriate to show our desire for peace with Northmarch… or rather with Marksylvania, by doing something truly monumental, without precedence.”

“On behalf of the Imperial Senate, we announce that they have voted Prince Gamel, son of King Eleazar of North-… er… of Marksylvania, as the Emperor of the Southern Empire!   Never before has a non-human held the title, and this is a symbol of our great desire for peace with your people.”

 

Senator Priscus nodded to his fellow senators, who came forward, bowed to the stunned Gamel, and placed upon his head the wreath as a laurel crown, wrapped the cloak around his shoulders and handed him the bundle of sticks - which some in attendance knew to be a symbol of the Emperor.  

“We hail you, Emperor Gamel!”   Priscus loudly proclaimed, and the senators bowed to the Drow knight while the congregation was filled with confused voices.

Gamel glanced at his father and mother, and a silent conversation passed between them.    He raised his hands for silence and then turned to Priscus.

“You can’t be serious, senator.”

“Oh, Your Excellency, we are indeed!   This can assure peace between the empire and your father’s Kingdom.”

“Indeed?”   Gamel laughed, pulling the laurel leaves from his head and flinging them at the senator’s chest, followed by the bundle of sticks and cloak, “How dare you try to play games with us!”

“Games?   B-but-“

“Certainly games!   For centuries the Southern Empire has tried to annex Northmarch.    Even when we were a subject state of the Empire, that was not enough!   Why?   Because the greed of the Empire for the lushness of the farmlands, timber and resources of our nation!”

“For years the Southern Empire has schemed and plotted to take our nation and force it into the stagnant cesspool that is the Empire!    You persecuted the Church of Yesh and murdered those that were faithful to him, to follow the blasphemous teachings of a vile and evil man!”

“You perverted the mind of Prince Edwarren, through making him one of your army’s generals and seduced him against his parents with the false hope of wearing the Imperial purple!   You have worked tirelessly to undermine the government of Northmarch.    Twice has the Empire invaded and twice have they been defeated.”

“How many innocent people have died as a result of imperial greed?   How many tens of thousands of persecuted demi-humans have fled from your borders?   Thousands sought refuge here, and gladly fought against your puppet Redburr’s forces.”

“Your greed and lust for Northmarch resulted in the deaths of Queen Eioldth, Master Thorm, Sir Aeric, Lady Alis and Lady Abigae, as well as my sisters Aranthi and Sirya!    Now you try to taint this fair day by offering the Imperial title to me during my parents’ coronation!”

 

“But sir, it is done, you are now The Emperor of the Southern Empire!”   Priscus stammered, fear in his eyes at the rising anger of Gamel.

“THEN I REJECT THAT TITLE!”  Gamel screamed at the man, thrusting a finger in his face, “You wear the crown, for all I care!   I know your schemes, senator!   We laid waste to your precious Aeropolis and for now everything is in chaos.   Torrin’s minions have fled the scene, haven’t they?   You have no one to help!”  

“Your mighty legions have rebelled or are threatening rebellion as they can not be paid.   Yet you need to rebuild and fund the reconstruction effort!   You fear the magic of your northern neighbors who managed to block a mountain pass with their arcane power!”

“So you offer the Imperial crown to the son of the new King of the new nation.     You foolishly think that will tie us to the Empire.   What then, Senator?   Will you try to turn me against my father and seek to take Marksylvania as part of the Empire?   Perhaps find a willing daughter of one of your senators to try to seduce me into turning against my family for my own gain?”

“Oh, of course this would not be your intentions at first, would it?   Heavens, no!   First you show me all of the misery that we caused with our magic - though you started this war- and hope that I will ask my father to let Marksylvania fund the rebuilding of Aeropolis.   You’d welcome the magic then, wouldn’t you?   Then for a few years, there would be a ‘truce of friendship’ while Orc Pass was cleared of rocks and reopened.”

“You’d find me a lovely senator’s daughter who would -you’d think--- become my wife or mistress and - wonders of wonders- bear me a son!   He’d be the darling of the senate, wouldn’t he?    Then one day when he was old enough, you’d convince him to murder his father in his sleep in true imperial fashion.   He’d be quickly named Emperor and he would then quickly press an imperial claim on Marksylvania.”

“Then the war would resume, with a half-breed puppet as emperor until Marksylvania was conquered.    Then the half-breed would be assassinated and one of your own would purify the throne.   Isn’t this rather close to the plans the Senate has in mind?”

Priscus was white with terror and his voice was now shrill and scared, “No!   You are our emperor by Senatorial vote!   We will follow your commands!”

Gamel snorted, “You would until you found a way to assassinate or manipulate me.”

The Drow Prince suddenly drew his sword and held it up to the neck of the senator, which extracted gasps from those watching.

“Senator Priscus, if I am truly now your Emperor, then I hereby name you as my successor and abdicate as Emperor!    Now, Emperor Priscus, I warn you:   you and your senators- get back on your horses and ride straight down the western road as fast as you can.    Do not stop until you are far away from this place.” 

“Tell your people that Marksylvania is a sovereign kingdom and if any attempt - and I do mean ANY ATTEMPT is made to try to manipulate, murder or control us or in anyway harm or harass our people, I will personally lead an army that will so lay waste to the empire that no crops will grow from the ground ever again!”

“You tell them that Gamel Dullerm is a loyal son of King Eleazar and Queen Aurei and his love for them is beyond any bribe that they could afford.    You tell them that Yesh the Merciful is God and that He will fight for this Kingdom, and we will fight for Yesh!”

“If you ever set foot again in Marksylvania without the bidding of King Eleazar or Queen Aurei, your life and those with you will be forfeited.   When Marksylvania seeks diplomatic ties with the Southern Empire - IF we ever do- we will send word.”

“Finally, don’t you ever show disrespect for the King and Queen of this Nation again!   You rudely ignored them and came directly to me, when you should have presented yourself humbly at their feet.    Be glad my father is a kind man and did not have you thrown in chains for your disrespect!   Now take up your foolish symbols of office and be gone at once!    You are not welcome here!”

The congregation roared with approval at Gamel’s words and the senators fled as if a hungry dragon was behind them.   Everyone lauded Prince Gamel and as the noise continued, King Eleazar turned to his Queen and whispered, “I think he has the makings of a Great King!”

Aurei nodded, “He would have made a good emperor too, but I am more impressed by his love for us, his family and his nation.”

 

“He has hope,” Eleazar replied, “Hope for tomorrow, of better times and fairer days.    Everyone needs hope and when there is hope, life is restored.    That’s my goal, sweetheart, as King of these fine people, to restore to them the gift of hope and watch the blessings of Yesh fall upon us.”

Aurei kissed her husband, “Your Majesty, I think you already have.”



© 2015 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"Aurei scooped up baby Aidan from her sister Amala’s arms..." This could be confusing if one were not paying close attention. It sounds as though you're referring to Amala as Aurei's sister, rather than Aidan's.
"I would rather everyone focus on the Lightmas holiday tomorrow, rather than us." You can take a "rather" out, in order to reduce redundancy. Perhaps "I would have everyone focus...rather than us" or "I would rather everyone focus...than on us."
"...the Faesidhe forest, now known as the Duchy of East Forest, is now given to Linel Demmet." Perhaps take out the second now.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Elina.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

387 Views
1 Review
Added on November 26, 2014
Last Updated on January 5, 2015
Tags: Marksylvania, Aurei of Westmark, Synomenia, Bugbears, Drow, Fantasy, Paladins, Good versus Evil, Adventure

A Sovereign Hope --Marksylvania Book 3


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis