Feint

Feint

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Syndi crafts a scheme to get away from her overbearing mother.

"

41.

Feint

 

“Syndi!   Where are you, nin yenda?”   The Losasidhe Queen’s voice filled the ducal guest quarters, and Syndi could tell from the tone of her voice that her mother was more than slightly irritated.

“In here, mother.”   She called back, laying back in bed and mussing up her hair while her mother came to her room.

“You haven’t been seen by anyone, all day!   I had to make excuses to the Dullerms for you.”   She opened the door of the room and stood there surprised for a moment, “You are still in bed?   What in the heavens is wrong with you?   Are you sick or just lazy?!”

Syndi didn’t answer, but just closed her eyes and put her palm on her forehead, as if she was dealing with a headache.

“You are sick!   Well no wonder, staying out all night with complete strangers doing Yesh knows what!    Have you called for one of the ducal healers?”

“No.   Everyone is busy preparing for something… what is going on, anyway?”

The Queen launched into a detailed account of all the plans and who was going with what group.    Syndi verified what she had suspected; her parents would accompany those marching upon King’s Reach (though out of danger’s way with the commanders of the force).    They wished to see the spot where Eioldth’s charred remains had been hastefully buried, alongside two of the Dullerms’ daughters before they had evacuated King’s Reach.

“The Duke made a vow against Earl Redburr, to neither rest nor stop until he had killed him to avenge his daughters’ deaths, as well as Eioldth’s murder.”   Synthaeia told her daughter with a gleam in her eyes, “He told everyone of his strong desire to lead the march on Redburr and take his revenge, but he felt that the mission against Torrin and the Emperor was more important.”

   “But his words so moved those who heard him speak, that we who are going to march against Redburr vowed to take him in chains back to Duke Eleazar, if possible, or at the very least, to kill him in memory of Eioldth and the Dullerm’s two daughters.   It was a very moving and powerful moment!”

Syndi only sniffled as if she had a cold and sighed wearily.   She was about to try her move. “So, when do we leave for this march?”

“Child, 'we' don’t leave at all.   Your father and I will leave tomorrow morning.    You shall be staying behind.”

“Staying behind?!”   She whined as if the thought irritated her.   In fact, she was thrilled that her scheme had worked.

“Yes, and there will be no argument!   It is too dangerous for all of us to be involved in this march.    There will most likely be combat and danger.”   Syndi noticed that though her mother was trying to make it sound dreadful, she had a sparkle of excitement in her eyes as she spoke.

“Well then why are you going?”   She asked as if she was troubled by it.

“My place is by your father’s side.    Also, it is to honor your sister’s memory.”

“But I can’t go!”  She acted hurt and even tried a subtle childish pout.

“You will get your chance to see your sister’s grave when the battle is over and King’s Reach is firmly in Westmark’s control.”

“Well, what am I supposed to do here while you and father are away?”   She whined again, playing the role of spoiled, upset princess to the hilt.

“You will reflect upon your actions of last night and pray to Yesh for the success of the missions.”

Syndi noticed that her mother had not mentioned anything about Muld’s mission to take down Orc Pass.

“I’ll go stir-crazy.”  She complained, “And you’ll probably keep me locked up so I can’t go out again.”

She did this for effect and to see if this would cause her to mention Muld’s group.

“You will be watched, young lady.”   Her mother said in a condescending tone, “But you shall not be locked up.    Just understand that if you try to find that Practical Magician, you will be disappointed.   He will be leaving town tomorrow.”

“Mother, you didn’t threaten him!”   She exclaimed with fake horror.   She had to fight to keep from laughing at her own acting ability.  

Synthaeia snickered, “He didn’t have to be threatened, Syndi.   He has plans of his own.   He’s not interested in you.   That type of man is more interested in gaining power and wealth.   I’m sorry, child, but that is just a harsh reality.    You are too young to see how the outside world is… yet.    But you’ll learn.”

“How long will this march take?”   She asked as if sad and resigned to her fate.

“I don’t know child, but certainly a week at the very least.   Don’t worry, the Dullerms’ have a huge library and it will be at your disposal.   You enjoy reading.   The time will pass quickly.”

“Sure it will.”  She sighed and looked at her feet.   Never had she been able to more easily fool her mother.

“It’s for your own good, child.”   She leaned in and kissed her forehead. “Now I must go back to join your father.    The Dullerms are providing dinner at their tavern.    I know they are only doing this due to the number of people they are feeding, but it is rather common.    I want you to go on to sleep.”

“Your father and I will not be late, but we shall leave early tomorrow morning, so we should get to bed as early as possible.    We will wake you tomorrow morning before we leave.   Try to rest and get some sleep.   Do you want me to find a healer to cast a cure disease spell upon you?”

“No, I think I’ll be alright… if not, I’ll find one tomorrow, if there are any left in town after everyone but me leaves on their big adventure.”

Synthaeia chuckled, “Oh, nin yenda, do not despair, you will have many years for your own adventures.    Now go to sleep, alright?”

She kissed her forehead and rushed out of the room, always eager to join social functions - even at a common ‘tavern’ like the Muddy Boot.   As the door closed behind the Queen, Syndi grinned broadly, basking in success and sprang out of bed to prepare for the next stage of her plan.



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"...to not rest nor stop until..." It would sound a bit better as either "...to neither rest nor stop..." or "...to not rest or stop..."
"Child, ‘We’ don’t leave at all." The "we" doesn't need to be capitalized.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

9 Years Ago

Thanks, Elina.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

425 Views
1 Review
Added on October 23, 2014
Last Updated on October 24, 2014
Tags: Marksylvania, Aurei of Westmark, Synomenia, Bugbears, Drow, Fantasy, Paladins, Good versus Evil, Adventure

A Sovereign Hope --Marksylvania Book 3


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis