CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX

A Chapter by Gen Escarda

            “Good morning mom!” I shouted while on my way down the stairs. I got to talk to Mr. Perry the night before and he really had put me into a good mood. Wait, but where’s mom?

I went to the dining area, no mom. I went to the kitchen, no mom. I went to the living room, no mom. I went up to her room, no mom. Oh my God, where’s my mom!? I panicked, almost had my panic attack, until I looked outside her window and saw Mom at the garden; sitting there. I sighed with relief. I went to the garden, I heard mom crying. I hesitated to walk closer. But I guess she heard my steps.

            “Uhm, France…” Mom said, her voice shaking, without even facing me.

            “Mom… what’s happening?” I sat beside her.

            “Your dad… he…” She started to sob

            “What’s with dad Mom? Seriously, what’s going on?”

            “He left us, France. You and I, alone, now.”

            “What the…”I couldn’t curse in front of mom. “Tell me this is just one of your pretty lame jokes Mom.”

            “I’m not…He left us. What hurts more, he just talked to me over the phone. He didn’t even come here to visit, to see us.”

            “Jesus Christ.”

            “France, how are we going to deal with these?”

            “Mom. Remember all the bullshit dad did to you?” Whoops. “Remember all those? Mom maybe this is the time that you just stop being so martyr! Mom, let’s show dad that we can live even without him. Let’s show him that we can live even better without him…”

            “I hope I’m as strong as you are.”

            “Don’t show me that you’re weak mom. Actually, I’m just pretending. If you’re weak, then I’m weak… what will happen to us. “

            “But I’m his wife, I’m your mother. I have to fight for our family.”

            “Whatever your decision is, I’m with you.”

            “We’ll fight for this family.”

Mom really loved Dad. Even if he never stayed with us, Mom kept on saying that Dad had this job on a different country. That he’s travelling from one place to another that’s why he couldn’t stay with us. He rarely called. I wasn’t stupid enough not to notice that they were already having some troubles. I just didn’t choose to meddle. I told mom that she should spend some time with her friends, like go shopping or get pampered. Yet she chose to stay at her room.

When mom was out of my sight, I tried to reach dad. He answered.

            “Dad…”

            “So your mom already told you…”

            “Yeah. And maybe I know nothing about your problems but can you please stay for us? For our fam---” he cut me off

            “I had enough France. I don’t know how to deal with your mom’s attitude anymore.”

            “What the hell dad? Mom is the most perfect Mom ever. How can you not--”

            “…A perfect mom, not a perfect wife.”

            “You think you’ve been good enough to say that?! Did you even wonder if you have done your role as a father and a husband? YOU THINK?” I cried.

            “Don’t talk like that to me! You’re being disrespectful, makes me want to leave you more.”

            “I’m sorry dad. What I want to say is… it’s my birthday within 3 days… can you please. I mean I want to spend my birthday with us complete.”

            “I’m sorry France, but I have made my decision…”

            “BUT DAD, AREN’T WE IMPORTANT TO YOU THAT--” he hung up. Bullshit.

I was so mad at him. So mad that I feel like, if I’ll see him one of these days, I could rip his head off. But of course, I couldn’t. I was still from one of his sperms. I took a deep breath; in and out. Then I went inside the house to prepare our breakfast. I’m not a good cook so I just made pancakes and served mom coffee.

            “Sorry mom, that’s all I can serve you.” I laughed.

            “I actually didn’t expect anything from you.” Thank God she’s laughing now.

            “You’re a mean mom.” I joked then we started to eat.

            Out of the blue, I said “Be strong okay.” Then mom nodded.

By the afternoon, Mom and I went to church hoping that would make her feel a lot better. Then we went shopping and got pampered. She enjoyed the day and I felt happy for her. When we got home after dinner, we saw dad… at the house. I smiled at him because I knew he’ll be back.

            “God heard my prayer; he gave you back to me. Thank God.” Mom said, tears in her eyes.

            “I’m sorry but this is not what you think. I’m here to pick up my things. I’m really sorry.”

            “You can’t leave us Dad, you can’t.” I could feel the intensity of the moment within the 4 corners of the house.

But dad left. He left us there, without looking back; without even thinking that he’s leaving his own family. Maybe something better is waiting for me and my mom, I said as I tried to cheer myself up. I wouldn’t be able to make mom feel better if I couldn’t even cheer myself up, right? I slept beside her that night, I could hear her sob. I couldn’t do anything but to pat her back. I didn’t know what to do.

 

3 Days after… I didn’t feel like celebrating my birthday though. I felt so incomplete. Plus, there was this heavy rain. Great! It totally ruined my whole day. Before I go down and be greeted tons of Happy Birthdays, I went online to check if Mr. Perry messaged me.

            Perry The Platypus: Why weren’t you online for days?

Me: Uhm, some bullshit haha but everything’s ok now, well kind of.

     Perry The Platypus: Oh, good then.

     Me: So, how are you these days?

Perry The Platypus: Good. I mean, never thought Barcelona is this awesome. :D

     Me: FOR REAL? I mean yeah Barcelona is perfect, YOU’RE HERE?!

     Perry The Platypus: Maybe we share same motherland huh?

     Me: WHOA. I wanna see you. J

     Perry The Platypus: NO.

     Me: But why?

     Perry The Platypus: Just, No. HAHAHA.

I could hear the visitors coming, then mom knocked saying that I have to get up and make myself presentable because visitors were already gathering down the living area.

Me: Uhm, I have to go for now. Be back later, visitors are here. Have to face them though I don’t even feel like to.

     Perry The Platypus: Why?

     Me: because, Happy Birthday to me! haha be back.

     Perry The Platypus: Oh, Happy Birthday!

I didn’t have the chance to reply. I went down, everyone was there; the Parker’s, my circle of campus friends like Sam, the 2 Kim’s and Zandra, my co-dancers and our trainer, our family friends and relatives. Everyone was there, except for dad. How mom set up the dining and the living area looked so magnif! She’s so awesome. I’ve told her that I didn’t want it to be extravagant. House celebration was enough. And as what I could see with mom’s effort, the whole celebration thing was more than enough. I realized, it was my 18th, meaning, I’M AT MY FUGGING LEGAL AGE!

And as what I expected, I got drowned with their greetings. My Aunties’ said that I got prettier as I grow. Yeah right, thanks. Happy birthday to me. Then my favest part; opening of gifts! Empress handed me a small square thing, I thought it was a picture frame because it looked like one. I tore the wrappings and OH MY GOD, an Austin Mahone album fresh from the U.S.! I hugged her tight; we were both jumping up and down, almost tearing. I really wanted an Austin Mahone album. My co-dancers then handed me their gift, after I got over with my overflowing feels. They said they pitched in for the gift. It was kind of a big box, and again, I tore the wrappings and opened it. A pair of black and white DC shoes, Oh my Lord, I cried again. Who wouldn’t want a DC shoes okay. Then the 4 chicax; Sam, the 2 Kim’s and Zandra handed me their gifts. A whole set of John Green’s, my favest author, books. It contained 6 books! And gosh, as I took the books out of the box (because they told me to), I saw a note in it:

Hi Ms. Frances Blaire! I heard you’re a big fan of mine? And I heard you’re deeply, madly in love with Quentin Jacobsen? I hope I can make a sequel of Paper Towns starring Quentin Jacobsen and Frances Blaire. Sounds nice. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MS. FRANCES! Now that you’re an adult, do something remarkable, like what Colin Singleton said. Never be like Margo Roth Spiegelman. I hope you’ll appreciate my little gift for you when you open each books.

                     John Green

Even if I felt like almost dying, I looked at each books, they all had a “Happy Birthday Frances Blaire” with his signature at the bottom part of the first pages. WOW. Couldn’t believe that those 4 got to meet John Green and made him do those for my birthday. I group-hugged with them, crying with joy; I felt so loved that moment.

            “The openings of gifts aren’t done yet!” Mom said, so excited. Then she handed me a small box. The wrappings were so nice that I didn’t even want to tear it. “Open it, open it…” Mom’s being cute again with her palms on both of her cheeks; obviously so excited. I felt so nervous because everyone seems sooooooooo excited, like, an unusual excitement.

So I started to peel off the box’s wrap, I tried to shake it before opening. But the shaking didn’t help for me to have a clue. I opened the box.

Keys. Car keys.

            “MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.” I cried as I saw what’s inside. I ran to her then hugged her while I was sobbing with joy. I’m so emotional, I know.

            “Want to take a look outside?” She said, and then I could hear the visitors laughing at me as I shook my head no because I thought my overflowing feels would kill me.

Mom still took me outside. And damn, a shiny black pick-up truck was like, waving hi to me. I CRIED MORE. Mom rubbed my back because my overflowing feels turned into hyperventilation. Who wouldn’t be right? Especially, when the stuffs you were saving up with became yours without even spending a single cent.

            As everyone had been settled down to the dining area and started to munch down the savoury of my mom’s cooking, “You never told me that you got a licence. I thought we’ll get together?” Empress asked. Then I cracked up laughing so hard. “Uhm why?” another question from her.

            “I DON’T EVEN HAVE A LICENCE YET!” I laughed. Mom, you failed once again.



© 2014 Gen Escarda


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
Added on March 27, 2014
Last Updated on March 27, 2014
Tags: teenage love story, social networking, romace, comedy


Author

Gen Escarda
Gen Escarda

Bulacan, NCR, Philippines



About
I'm 17. Living in the other side of the world. I'm a fan of a lot of things, music, books, bands, tv shows and movies.. even food. And I've been into writing back when i was still in grade school but .. more..

Writing
Saudade Saudade

A Poem by Gen Escarda


CHAPTER ONE CHAPTER ONE

A Chapter by Gen Escarda


CHAPTER TWO CHAPTER TWO

A Chapter by Gen Escarda