CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE

A Chapter by Gen Escarda

          Dismissal was 5PM, and I still have training for our dance. An ‘ambush’ practice. Our coach just suddenly cornered us and told us we should attend the rehearsals. I tried making excuses but it didn’t work. I realized the annual international competition is in 2 weeks. We will be sent in Singapore this time. One of the reasons why I joined this dance group, I could go to some places around the world.

6:30PM and we’re still rehearsing, coach was determined, of course, and we should too because it’s our country we are presenting here. We won last competition though, and our coach wants us to have a straight 1st wins. 6:45 when we had water break and breathing exercise; yes you really have to practice your breathing. But still sometimes, especially when the beat and tempo is fast, I tend to forget to breathe. It happens. While chugging my jug of water, Dane called.

            “Hey.” I said, still catching my breath.

            “Where are you?”

            “Rehearsals.”

            “Are you serious? It’s almost 7”

            “I’m sorry Dane, I forgot to call or text you. Everything went fast and I---” Coach started to shout BACK TO POSITIONS. FASTER. FASTER! With her fist clutched like she’s pulling something down. It indicated that we should move faster.

            “Where are you exactly?” he asked, hurriedly.

            “At school. I don’t know what time this will end. And coach is here beside me already. Have to go. Good bye. I’m sorry.” Then I hung up.

Another thing that will make me guiltier; he expected and got all excited because I said I’ll see him. I made him looked stupid waiting for me. I’m starting to hate my own existence. I hope he’ll believe me that, this was all an ‘ambush’.

9:45PM, almost done with our training, coach said we’ll go home by 10PM since we still have training tomorrow. We spent the rest of the 15 minutes cooling down to have our heart beats get back to their normal rates. I started packing my stuffs and changed my shirt. I got so tired, all muscles are in pain. Like, I couldn’t walk for home anymore. I forgot to pump gas for my car so I had no choice but to walk. Alone. In the dark. Until someone honked at me then the passenger seat’s door opened. I looked carefully to identify the person’s face.

            “DANE!” I jumped to his flawless black Volvo car then hugged him. He froze. He looked like questioning me ‘what’s with the hug?’

            “I’m sorry.” I said as I set myself at the seat. “I just got happy because I’m really tired like I thought I wouldn’t make it home…” He’s just looking at me, smiling at me; the smile that I love.

            “Hey, don’t look at me like that. You’re freaking me out!” I awkwardly laughed.

            He laughed; that boyish laugh. “I just missed seeing you. I feel like after tonight, it will take weeks before I see you again.”

            “Oh…” I thought of what to say, “I’m sorry cause I hang you there alone. I’m so---”

            “Your coach should be the one saying sorry to me.” He laughed, “It’s alright now. Important is, you’re here.” I just smiled; my heart was beating faster that it should. I need to do breathing exercise but I will look weird if I’ll do it.

            “I’m sorry for making everything awkward.” He said as he looked away from me and started to drive. “I’ll drive you home yet I don’t know where you live.”

            “Oh, just go straight ahead.” I smiled then we both looked at the road. 1. 2. 3. 4. Four seconds of silence is an ‘awkward silence’. I’m bad at this. “Go left at the next block.” I finally said.

            “No problem.”

            I couldn’t take the silence anymore, “I need to eat. Maybe mom’s at bed already. Let’s eat?”

            “Are you sure? It’s late.”

            “Yeah. Take me somewhere where I’ll have a good food.”

            “Okay then!”

Then he did a u-turn and took me back to the city.  The city lights are one of the best things on earth aside from pizza.

            He adjusted his accent into French, “So as what you can see Mademoiselle, at this side…” He was like giving me a tour as he pointed for his window. “You’ll see bunch of restaurants…and that side…” he pointed to mine, “you’ll also see bunch of restaurants.” I laughed a bit, his accent was pretty good. Plus his matching arched eyebrows. “Now where do you want to eat?” he’s back on being Dane now.

            “Uhm… you choose. Let me taste something else, like Japanese stuffs?”

            “Japanese you say? Oh! I love this Pakta resto here, it’s nice. Favorite jap resto.”

Then he drove to the restaurant he’s saying. It’s indeed nice; the place is so cozy, romantic. Kinda.  He pulled the chair for me, I sat and said thanks.

            “So what do you want to eat?” As we both scan the menu

            “tempura… teriyaki… ramen… ah…” and the others I couldn’t pronounce properly anymore.

            “You can’t decide?”

            “Pick for me, I never ate Japanese foods. Except for my mom’s California maki.”

            “Hmmm ok then.” He smiled. Then he called for the waiter and dictated all the order.

            “Wow that’s pretty a lot.” I said as the waiter walked away with our order.

            “You said you’re hungry.” He laughed.

            “By the way Dane, they are called waiter right?” He just looked at me with one eyebrow up.

            “I mean, isn’t us who should be called as waiters because we wait for them for our orders?” He burst out laughing. “yousilly, areyoujoking” he said then laughed again. I just gave him a blank face that made him stopped from laughing.

            “Just a thought.” I said, “oh the food’s comingggggg! Food! Get ready to be devoured.” I said as if I didn’t have enough lady manners.

We ate, less talking because I was so hungry. The foods were great! They also have a pizza, unbelievable right? But it’s not exactly like a pizza. It looks like a huge pancake with overloading toppings; mostly vegetables. It’s so new to my taste buds that I couldn’t get enough of it. I covered my mouth and burped.

            “Sorry.” I blushed. “Foods were awesome, specially the pizza.”

            “Glad you liked it, I’ll take you here again next time. If you want.” Did he just blush?

            “Oh sure! I don’t mind. And I would love to!” He smiled. “Where’s the bill? I’ll pay since I was the one who asked for food.”

            “No no no no. Please don’t…” he reached for his pocket, “I got this.”

            “Let’s pay halves then?”

            “No, seriously. I’ll pay.”

            “Uhm…” I blushed again, “If you insist. Then thank you so much.” He smiled, asked for the bill, paid, left some tip and we left.

He drove me home. I was already half asleep while on our way. But still we made it home. Just as we stopped, mom opened the front door.

            “Hey mom…” I say as I tried to open my one eye. I was dizzy because of sleepiness that I just wanted to collapse on the floor and sleep.

            “It’s almost midnight. Where have you been…” she said, then finally she noticed Dane. “And who’s with you?”

            “Ah mom, I’m sorry. I asked him to bring me somewhere to eat because I didn’t want to bother your sleep just to prepare me food. He’s Dane.” Dane moved forward. Mom’s angry faced became as calm as the ocean.

            “Hi Frances’ mom. I’m sorry for taking her out without your permission…” He gave mom that charming smile.

            “Next time, tell me before taking her anywhere okay?” She said as she took me by my wrist, dragging me inside the house.

            “Oh yes of course Madam. I’ll go now. I hope you good night and sweet dreams.” My mom nodded and closed the door and faced me, “We’ll talk about this maybe not tomorrow but we will, go up and sleep. Good night.”

            “and oh,” she added, “Chad just went back to their house, he said, frankly, the he’s not comfortable here.”

            “I see, ok mom, good night. Sorry again.” She just looked at me.

I went up, I’m definitely grounded! I looked outside my window and he’s still there. He texted me:

            Good night, just making sure your mom didn’t scold at you. :)

I shook my head and smiled at him as a reply. He waved goodbye and he disappeared in the dark.

            Then suddenly, an arm embraced my shoulder, “It’s actually okay for me that you’ll date him.” My mom appeared then she tapped my back with a smile, “I’m happy you’re growing up…” Then she walked out my room.

I froze. 



© 2014 Gen Escarda


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
Added on March 27, 2014
Last Updated on March 27, 2014
Tags: teenage love story, social networking, romace, comedy


Author

Gen Escarda
Gen Escarda

Bulacan, NCR, Philippines



About
I'm 17. Living in the other side of the world. I'm a fan of a lot of things, music, books, bands, tv shows and movies.. even food. And I've been into writing back when i was still in grade school but .. more..

Writing
Saudade Saudade

A Poem by Gen Escarda


CHAPTER ONE CHAPTER ONE

A Chapter by Gen Escarda


CHAPTER TWO CHAPTER TWO

A Chapter by Gen Escarda