Chapter One: Before

Chapter One: Before

A Chapter by Trevor
"

Before the very fact that he's alive sent him on the run, he was a very different man. His name was Michael.

"

            Michael was never one to do wrong.  He had grown up in a strict Catholic household and held very strong notions about God.  His parents had named him after Michael the archangel.  Some call him Saint Michael.  Some also call him the angel of death.  Michael was named after the archangel for the power he had with the army of God.  Now…now the name carried a new meaning for Michael.  Now Michael the man seemed to have become a sort of angel of death. 

            The year was 1864, Michael was hardly more than a boy, before his change, and eager to please his superiors in the United States Army.  He was one of the many soldiers at Sand Creek when the army mercilessly slaughtered so many Indians.  At the time, Michael didn’t think of it as slaughter when they killed every man, woman, and child they could find.  The savages weren’t people, of course.  As time passed, though, he began to grasp a new perspective on the people and on his crimes against them. 

            Michael was with a small party of soldiers, patrolling the area surrounding his camp in Colorado when his old life ended.  As they began their ascent up a hill, Michael saw a flicker of motion to his left.  He whipped his head around just in time to see the man next to him fall from his horse to lie motionless on the ground.  Raising his rifle, Michael frantically searched for where the arrow protruding from the man’s chest had come from.  As he rested his sights on the lone savage he saw, he was thrown off of his horse.  Falling, Michael saw the rest of the native party rushing down the slope toward the patrol.  He felt the air in his lungs leave him as his back hit the ground.  Stepper, his horse, fell on his legs, pinning them to the ground.  The horse had three arrows buried in its side.  Michael looked up at a savage calmly walking toward him.  The man raised a club and brought it down on Michael’s head.  Blackness consumed him.

Michael awoke to a language he didn’t understand.  Groggy, he tried to stand, but his hands and feet were bound.  He looked around.  Pain filled his head, engulfing him to the point that he could not focus on what he saw.  The faint shapes around him stopped speaking that strange language and looked at him.  Vision clearing, he finally made out the shapes.  Two tall savages stood next to him.  In a flood, memories of the short fight flooded back into his mind.  Fear gripped him.  He had heard the horrible things these warriors did to the men they had beaten.  Little did Michael know, soon he would be doing far more terrible things to everyone in his path.

           

           



© 2010 Trevor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it. Night sky is a greta name for the book. It's quite interesting! try lengthening the chapters a little, some find it a bother if they have to turn the page for one other chapter when it seems it should be the continuation of this chapter. JUst a tip, okie? Don't have to do it, just a tip.

Posted 13 Years Ago


i really love it...the story is very interesting and not boring....as the story continues the more it get more interesting....if you will published a book of this story, I'm sure it will be a bestseller:)nice work!Kudos

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh wow I like this. I be excited to read more. :3

Posted 13 Years Ago


perspectives :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Interesting way to start things, Michael will learn to see people differently than before, so I guess the hunt starts somewhere soon.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

297 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 20, 2010
Last Updated on September 8, 2010


Author

Trevor
Trevor

Aberdeen, SD



About
I closed my account 2 years ago. Haven't written a word since then. Guess I just figured it was about time to start again...so here's my "about me" 2 years from the last time I wrote this: 25 year.. more..

Writing
The Window The Window

A Story by Trevor


Sequel Sequel

A Poem by Trevor