Chapter Nineteen: A Reason to Live

Chapter Nineteen: A Reason to Live

A Chapter by Trevor
"

In the midst of his mourning, Michael meets a small girl who gives him a new reason to live

"
             Michael prayed.  He could still see the faces of the children he killed the night before.  He prayed and wept.  How could I allow that to happen?  The wolf was too powerful.  I really am a monster.  John was right.  I deserve nothing but death and the hell that will come after.  His prayers were no longer for the strength to fight the wolf.  They were no longer for forgiveness.  He prayed now only that the souls of those he had murdered would find peace.  They had not deserved the deaths they had suffered.  Only he deserved a death like that. 
             He begged God to let John find him and avenge the family that had fallen to the wolf.  Ending the prayer, Michael dropped to his hands and knees and wept more, tears falling to the ground below. 
             Rain fell, miming his tears.  Michael opened his eyes.  A child stood in front of him, watching.  Her face was filled with concern.  "Why are you crying, mister?"  Her small voice asked.
             "It's nothing, dear.  I'm just sad."  I may be a monster, but even I wouldn't burden a little girl with the horrors of my life.
             The girl put a hand on his shoulder.  "Well you should get out of the rain.  Come on!  My village is close by!  You can get out of the rain at my house!"  Her tiny hand pulled him.
             "I doubt your parents would like you bringing home a stranger."
             The girl's face darkened for a moment before brightening again.  "Oh...they won't mind.  Come on!"  She pulled him harder.
             Michael followed the girl to a small village less than a mile to the south.  She led him into a small house.  The house looked as if it had not been tended to in some time.  Entering the home, Michael noticed no one else was there.  "Where are your parents, little girl?"
             "Hey! I'm not that little! I'm almost seven!  My name is Elizabeth, but you can call me Beth!"
             Michael couldn't help but smile at the girl.  "Okay, Beth it is!  I'm Michael!  Well where are you parents, Beth?"
             She frowned and looked at the floor.  "They're gone."
             "Oh, when're they coming home?"
             Beth frowned at the floor harder.  "They aren't coming home.  We were visiting my grandma and grandpa out west.  I was playing at the pond when it came."
             Michael didn't understand.  "When what came?"
             "The big dog that stood on two legs.  I saw it chasing Grandma Bridget and Grandpa Maury on my way back.  I hid so it wouldn't see me, and then I went the long way home and found mama and papa in bed.  I think they were sleeping when it got them."  Tears streamed down her face.
             "Beth..." Michael's stomach tied itself in knots.  "Was the big dog black?"
             "How--how did you know?"
             God, this is my fault.  I led William to her family.  I didn't even know her parents were in the house too!  "I killed the dog soon after that, Beth.  It's dead."
             The little girl hugged Michael's leg and cried.  "Thank you," was all she said.
             Michael picked up the girl and hugged her.  "Beth, we need to find someone to take care of you."
             She wiped her eyes on her sleeve.  "Can you take care of me, Michael?  You killed the dog.  I'd be safe with you."  Beth looked at him with her big brown eyes.
             Michael didn't know what to say.  He looked around the room, trying to come up with an answer.  I'm the reason she's an orphan.  I owe her something.  "I'll take care of you until we can find someone else.  How about that?"  Maybe I have something to live a little longer for now.  Maybe I can start to make amends.  Maybe there's hope yet!  Michael smiled.
             The girl squeezed him harder.  "It sounds great!"  Michael looked past the girl.  His eyes landed on the window, and they widened in shock when he saw what was outside.
             Outside the window, a very familiar man stood.  Looking back in the window was John. 


© 2010 Trevor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, Johns pretty fast.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Whoa, this is sooo interesting, I mean, I can't stop reading, I know I've said a few times, but dude, you just know how to keep the reader on his edge. Hahahaha.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ooh, I like that ending. And I really like Elizabeth! "Hey! I'm not that little! I'm almost seven!" lol So cute. Good addition to the story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


omg. moar. :D

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

234 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 9, 2010
Last Updated on September 9, 2010


Author

Trevor
Trevor

Aberdeen, SD



About
I closed my account 2 years ago. Haven't written a word since then. Guess I just figured it was about time to start again...so here's my "about me" 2 years from the last time I wrote this: 25 year.. more..

Writing
The Window The Window

A Story by Trevor


Sequel Sequel

A Poem by Trevor