Chapter Thirteen: Protect the Humans!

Chapter Thirteen: Protect the Humans!

A Chapter by Trevor
"

Michael and his new friends are visited by his former teacher, but it is not a happy reunion

"
              "Michael...what...what are you?"  Maury stammered, still holding Bridget to his chest. 
              Michael paused before replying, "I don't even know how to explain.  I'm..." he paused again.  "I'm a werewolf."
              Bridget gasped.  "A werewolf?  Don't be silly, Michael.  Werewolves don't exist!"
              "Didn't you see what happened?"  Michael demanded.  "I'm a monster!  I should go..."  He turned to leave.
              Maury grabbed his arm.  "Michael," he started, calmly, "I've lived a long time.  I've known men who were monsters on the inside.  No matter what you may look like sometimes on the outside, you just proved that you're a good man on the inside.  Whatever you may have done when you finished that change you were making, it doesn't matter.  What matters is what you did.  You stopped it.  You're a good man, Michael."
              Michael looked at the elderly man's smile; tears began to form in his eyes.  "Thank you, Maury.  It's been some time since I thought of myself as good...or even a real man.  For so long, I've only thought of myself as a monster.  A murderer.  Thank you both so much, but I should really go.  You are both far better people than most."
              As he turned once more to leave, the dog came running to the porch from the darkness, barking more wildly than ever.  Following close behind was a large, black wolf.  This wolf very closely resembled a massive human.  Michael knew immediately who and what this was.  "William.  Maury, Bridget, please, this time listen to me.  You both need to leave.  Now.  This werewolf is a monster.  This wolf will kill you both and love every second of it.  Run.  Now.  Please just go!"  The couple looked at Michael once before doing what he asked.
              The wolf slowed as it approached Michael and rose to its hind legs.  Michael had voluntarily changed before, so this time was no problem.  As he changed, he called out, "William!  Stop where you are.  Leave these people alone.  They've done nothing!"
              William slowly moved closer and replied in a deeper voice than usual, "Ha!  You should realize by now, Michael, I don't care what they've done!  You should know the wolf's motivation by now!  In case you don't yet, I'll tell you!  The motivation is simple: kill.  Kill everything."  The voice was more of a growl than an actual voice.
              Michael's voice was a near match by now, "I won't let you near them."  His change complete, he leaped at his old mentor.  Michael landed on William only to be thrown off.  William charged Michael, lips curled back in a snarl.  The two collided.  A tangled ball of fur and claws and fangs were all that could be seen.  They slashed and bit and howled into the night.  There was only chaos as the two fought for their lives and to take the life of the other. 
              William threw the younger to the ground and held him there with one clawed paw, while the other raised to the sky, ready to tear out the throat of the former student.  Michael swung his arm with all his might and connected with William's face, knocking him back.  The newer wolf rolled to his feet and charged again, catching William off-balance, but the advantage didn't last long.  William had far more experience and strength than Michael, and the difference was apparent.  Michael found himself once more on the ground, unable to move from beneath William's grip. 
             "You see, Michael?"  William shouted in his growling voice.  "You see why you should never have left my instruction?"  William paused.  "I'll give you one more chance.  These folks will die tonight.  I will take care of that.  Tomorrow, you continue down this direction and find me.  I will take you back if you do.  If you refuse me again, I will kill you.  For now, all I'll do is--"  A huge, black paw descended into Michael's head.  Blackness filled his vision.
             Michael woke up the next morning to find a man standing over him.  "Take this, boy."  The man tossed a blanket on top of him to cover his naked body.  "You're covered in blood.  Let's wash you up, and you can tell me what happened." 
             The man looked familiar, but Michael couldn't figure out from where.  He had a gun strapped to his back and a large axe in his hand.  A long, brown coat covered him to the knees, and his head held a wide-brimmed brown hat.  "Thank you, sir.  May I ask, who are you?  What are you doing so far out here?"
             Smiling slightly, the stranger offered a hand to help Michael stand.  "My name is John.  And believe it or not, I'm hunting a pair of werewolves."


© 2010 Trevor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well, that's bound to be a restless companionship eh? I love that you twisted their stories together though. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


human connection at it's best. wonderful

Posted 13 Years Ago


Awesome! But I wonder what happened to the old folks, I hope they're okay... though I have little hope because of William's killer instinct. Great chapter, I love how you connected John with Micheal.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ah ha! The connection between the two stories is made!


Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 8, 2010
Last Updated on September 8, 2010


Author

Trevor
Trevor

Aberdeen, SD



About
I closed my account 2 years ago. Haven't written a word since then. Guess I just figured it was about time to start again...so here's my "about me" 2 years from the last time I wrote this: 25 year.. more..

Writing
The Window The Window

A Story by Trevor


Sequel Sequel

A Poem by Trevor