Chapter Eight: A Town in Panic

Chapter Eight: A Town in Panic

A Chapter by Trevor
"

Michael wakes up to the town in a panic and learns something disturbing about his teacher

"
              Morning came.  Michael left the inn where he and William were staying.  A cool blast of air welcomed Michael as he opened the door to the inn.  Outside there was chaos. 
              Men and women ran around the town, crying out for loved ones who were missing from their beds.  Some men were hastily boarding up broken down doors and shattered windows. The town was in a frenzied panic. 
              Michael's face paled.  This is all my fault.  I let William talk me into trusting myself to not do this.  Oh, God, Michael prayed, I didn't mean for this to happen.  I am so sorry, Father, but I cannot control what I do at night.  Please, Lord, let me die.  Let me face your judgment and just die.  I deserve the fires.  Please just end all of this.  Please, Father...
               His prayer was cut short when William burst out of the door behind him.  "Look what happened because of me!"  Michael shouted at his teacher.
               William immediately cut off the gap between the two and slapped a hand over Michael's mouth.  "Shh!"  He hissed.  "With everyone in this kind of state, what do you think they would do to you if they knew?"
                "Let them know," Michael sighed.  "I deserve whatever they'll do to me."
                "Cut that talk out.  We all do it at first.  We do it until we can control it.  It's not our faults.  It's not even us doing it really; it's the wolf inside each of us.  The wolves are the killers, not us."  William looked around before continuing.  "Come on.  It looks like they're going to make an announcement."  He motioned to a small group of men standing atop some crates and trying to get people's attention.
                 The two followed the stream of townspeople streaming toward the makeshift stage.  Getting closer, Michael could hear bits and pieces of what the men were shouting.  It was something about adding some security to the houses at night and implementing a curfew for the town until the threat of these beasts had passed.  'These beasts'?  Michael asked himself.  I'm the only one killing people, aren't I?  I mean, William can control the wolf.  I'm the only one who can't.  William wouldn't do that...would he? 
                 Michael pulled William between two buildings and voiced his concerns to the man.  When Michael was done, William grinned his wide, toothy grin.  His fangs were out.  "Well, Michael, you're right.  You're the only one who can't control it.  I can very easily control my wolf...but who says I want to?"
               


© 2010 Trevor


Author's Note

Trevor
Bibliophile wrote her own version of the townspeople implementing the new rules. In her chapter, 'New Terror' (written from the townspeople's point of view), they prepare for the night after this chapter. Check it out!
http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/bibliophile/580259/

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

how sweet Bibliophile is your personal editor :P haha.
It's very good. Short stories rock :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Every time I read a chapter, I get sucked into it, it really grasps the reader, as always, another great chapter for an awesome story, it's like watching a movie, you really have a lot of talent.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 2, 2010
Last Updated on September 8, 2010


Author

Trevor
Trevor

Aberdeen, SD



About
I closed my account 2 years ago. Haven't written a word since then. Guess I just figured it was about time to start again...so here's my "about me" 2 years from the last time I wrote this: 25 year.. more..

Writing
The Window The Window

A Story by Trevor


Sequel Sequel

A Poem by Trevor