Chapter Twenty: The Guardian

Chapter Twenty: The Guardian

A Chapter by Trevor
"

Michael must use the wolf to protect his new reason for living

"

            John stared in the window at Michael.  How’d he find me?   Beth noticed where Michael’s gaze had landed and saw the man standing outside.  “Mister Michael, who is that man?”

            He looked down at the girl, “he’s someone I used to know.” 

            Beth smiled.  “Well then let’s get him inside!”  She waved at John.

            “No, Beth!  He and I…we don’t get along very well,”  Michael told her as he pulled her hand down. 

            The door opened.  John entered.  “Who is this, Michael? “ 

            The little girl stuck out her hand to shake.  “My name’s Beth!”

            John looked at her and shook her hand.  He smiled coldly, “well hello, Beth.  My name is John.”  He turned back to the other man.  “Did you turn her too?  I know how you enjoy turning children into things like you.  Or maybe she’s your daughter?”

            Angrily, Michael replied, “No, I didn’t turn her!  And I didn’t mean to turn your son!  I didn’t even know I did it until you told me!  I’m taking care of Beth now.  Just leave, John.  Just go now.”  I can’t let him stay and put Beth in danger.

            John smiled that cold smile again, “well maybe she’ll be your Jacob, Michael.  Maybe I won’t mean to do something to little Beth, here.”

            Glaring at John, Michael spoke to the girl, “Beth.  Go to your room and stay there.  I’ll come for you soon.  Stay there and do not come out until I come find you.”

            Beth looked scared.  “But…”

            Michael looked at her and shouted, “Go!”  He softened his voice.  “Please, Beth, I’ll come soon.”  The little girl slowly climbed the stairs to her bedroom.  “John, I won’t let you hurt her.  The girl is under my protection now.”

            Chuckling softly, John told Michael, “It won’t do any good.  She’ll suffer a similar fate as my Jacob.  You’re the reason he’s dead.  I’ll be the reason she dies.  I’ll wait to kill you until after her.”  My God, Michael thought, he’s gone mad!  He voiced his thought, and John yelled back.  “No Michael!  I’m very sane!  I’m thinking more clearly than ever!  I know what must be done to punish you!  I will show you how your sins have hurt those around you!  I’ll show you, Michael!”  He raised his gun.

            Michael’s change was immediate.  The gun skidded across the room as the gray wolf batted it aside.  John picked up his axe and swung.  Michael dodged it and tackled his opponent.  Holding Michael off of him with the axe handle, John kicked with all his might, pushing the wolf off of him.  Before Michael knew it, John’s axe was swinging toward him once again.  He caught the handle in the air and wrenched it out of the hunter’s hands.  One swing of Michael’s enormous paw knocked John unconscious. 

            When John woke up, the house was empty.  Cursing, he rose to his feet.  “I’ll find you again, Michael.  You have my word.” 

He waited outside for several hours.  John was supposed to meet some people in this town.  That had been why he had made the side trip to this small village.  It had only been luck that he happened to witness Michael enter the house with the girl.  Hours passed before John saw the men he had been waiting for.  Seven of the other fourteen men that had survived Michael’s massacre of John’s town approached.  The other seven were supposed to keep watch over the town.  The ones that approached now had set out shortly after John himself had.  The hunter had known he could not kill the wolf alone. 

Now he had help.



© 2010 Trevor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think John is really loosing his cool. Therapy maybe? "Yes Mr. Therapist, you see, I'm trying to kill a warewolf named Michael. He killed my family so-well I just want revenge." Maybe not.

Posted 13 Years Ago


awww the little girl is adorable! But I agree, John is a bit of a nut case haha.
great chapter!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Damn, John is a nut case now, I mean, wanting to involve the little girl is just too extreme, I hope Michael takes good care of her and doesn't end up... you know, killing her, she's so sweet.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow, wasn't expecting John to go all evil. But then again, he had to kill his own child, and that's bound to make you a little crazy. Excellent writing, my dear. You make the reader care for your characters even at times when they aren't likeable. I'm impressed.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 9, 2010
Last Updated on September 10, 2010


Author

Trevor
Trevor

Aberdeen, SD



About
I closed my account 2 years ago. Haven't written a word since then. Guess I just figured it was about time to start again...so here's my "about me" 2 years from the last time I wrote this: 25 year.. more..

Writing
The Window The Window

A Story by Trevor


Sequel Sequel

A Poem by Trevor